Jaywalker Almost Gets Hit By a Car!

Funnily enough, I had this happen yesterday.

Not a major drama, but it thoroughly sickens me how many pedestrians not only think they can walk into the road irresponsibly, but they arrogantly do so in a casual manner (i.e. slowly) not caring if they force motorists (who have priority) to slow down.

I wonder if this guy knew what he was doing. His judgement seemed to improve after I honked my horn.
I am always amazed at the total stupidity of these people.

I am always amazed at the total stupidity of these people.
I see a lot of this behaviour in 20mph zones (as in that video.) Part of it is because they feel safe, so they don't exercise caution. But also it's really difficult to judge the speed of someone going that slow (yet plenty fast enough to cause a fatality.)

I see a lot of this behaviour in 20mph zones (as in that video.) Part of it is because they feel safe, so they don't exercise caution. But also it's really difficult to judge the speed of someone going that slow (yet plenty fast enough to cause a fatality.)
I agree with what you said, but we are talking about stepping out in front of moving automobiles. I grew up in a major city, and always found it best to wait for vehicles to pass.

Absolutely. I was knocked down twice as a kid (in my defence the second time was at a lollipop crossing - but I was still largely to blame for rushing.) Thankfully no serious injuries, but I learned my lesson the hard way, and now when I see pedestrians taking stupid risks it makes me angry. Especially adults who should know better. So much ignorance and denial going on.

The more anti-motorist the authorities are, the more pedestrians think they are entitled to take liberties and blame motorists for the consequences.

Absolutely. I was knocked down twice as a kid (in my defence the second time was at a lollipop crossing - but I was still largely to blame for rushing.) Thankfully no serious injuries, but I learned my lesson the hard way, and now when I see pedestrians taking stupid risks it makes me angry. Especially adults who should know better. So much ignorance and denial going on.

The more anti-motorist the authorities are, the more pedestrians think they are entitled to take liberties and blame motorists for the consequences.
Totally agree

completely agree, but to play devils advocate for a sec, in the UK pedestrians have right of way on all public HIGHWAYS, so technically the law is on their side, given the influx of the "i know my rights brigade" all drivers should be asking them selves, what if x y z happens at any given moment, if the answer to that question results in a full body bag then further caution should be applied!

in fact drivers should apply that to most actions taken on the road, be a much safer place if they did.

didn't some place experiment with removing road signs and markings? the idea being people didn't become complacent and kept more focus on whats going on around them, I wonder how that worked out

didn't some place experiment with removing road signs and markings? the idea being people didn't become complacent and kept more focus on whats going on around them, I wonder how that worked out

was probably a body shop's dream and a hospital's nightmare.

UK pedestrians have right of way on all public HIGHWAYS
No they do not.
You can't deliberately run pedestrians down. But that isn't the same as them having right of way.
Even the rule about pedestrians having priority at junctions only applies after they have started crossing and (perversely) only if the vehicle is turning.

What's the very first rule in the Highway Code...
Rules for pedestrians (1 to 35)
Rule 1
Pavements ... should be used if provided.
... If you have to step into the road, look both ways first.
Always show due care and consideration for others.

Last edited:
OK, another example from today. A pedestrian is crossing in an awkward place, I see him and slow to a crawl to let him cross. I have no complaint at this stage. But then the guy takes one brisk step to 'get his foot in the door' then slows, crossing the road casually like I don't exist and he can take as long as he likes. It's the ATTITUDE that pisses me off. Behaviour like this makes motorists stop wanting to be helpful.

Back