Just installed dashcam. Have a few newbie questions

The Batman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Testing storage card
The one I have is the Samsung EVO Select memory card (the packaging says Made in Philippines). To verify the authenticity, I downloaded Samsung's Authentication Utility software. It passed but it only took seconds for it to check.

I read about H2testw but the storage card reader I have is quite slow so the write speed will be inaccurate. Should I still give it a try and what other tests should I run?

Glare
I installed the dashcam later in the evening as the sun was a bit lower and noticed a lot of glare in my videos. Would the CPL filter help in my case?
Front cam:
xsmcIiA.png

Rear cam:
tiiOeqC.png

Car adapter
I have the dashcam powered by the car adapter until I get it hardwired. Sometimes I noticed the car adapter's green light would go off causing my dashcam to turn off. When I twist it will sometimes turn back on. Did I get a faulty car adapter?

Also noticed that it takes about 2 or 3 minutes for the dashcam to power on when I start my car. I don't use car adapters so wonder if this delay is normal.

Thanks!

Good to know the glare can be "fixed." I will get the CPL filter when it goes on sale!

Ah that's a bummer to hear. I will see if I have another car adapter I can try.

Ah that's a bummer to hear. I will see if I have another car adapter I can try.
On some cars the "cigarette lighter plug" might be slightly larger in diameter allowing the USB adapter to move.
A work around if this is the case is to add a stripe of material tape around it or something that makes the fit firmer.
Also make sure the connector is clean especially the Centre point allowing /improving connectivity.

Some 12v sockets are longer or shorter than others. You might need to push the plug in quite hard. If it's not staying in place, look for an alternative adapter rated at least 1A, preferably 2A.

A CPL will help the front camera. At the rear it's usually not needed, and can make night videos rather dark since there are no headlights illuminating the view behind you.

I checked again today and the adapter fits really snug and I also made sure to push it as far as it can go. The connector is clean as the dashcam is brand new and the car is fairly new. I started the car about nine times today and only once did it power on immediately. Every other time it took several minutes for the adapter's green light to come on. One positive is that I didn't notice the dashcam powering off during the drive.

Twisting or reconnecting it didn't seem to help. Just need to wait several minutes. If the connection is loose, wouldn't it just not power up at all? I don't understand why it takes a few minutes.

I will get a CPL just for the front then, thanks for the info.

One more dumb question: there isn't an easy way to remove the rear dash cam without peeling off the tape right?

I checked again today and the adapter fits really snug and I also made sure to push it as far as it can go. The connector is clean as the dashcam is brand new and the car is fairly new. I started the car about nine times today and only once did it power on immediately. Every other time it took several minutes for the adapter's green light to come on. One positive is that I didn't notice the dashcam powering off during the drive.

Twisting or reconnecting it didn't seem to help. Just need to wait several minutes. If the connection is loose, wouldn't it just not power up at all? I don't understand why it takes a few minutes.

One more dumb question: there isn't an easy way to remove the rear dash cam without peeling off the tape right?
The rear camera will slide to the left off the mount.

Try the adapter in the ancillary port of another proven to work car. If it instantly goes on every test then it is your car which may have either a delay start on the ancillary port or is faulty.

I still think a CPL on the rear cam is worth it. If you're getting one for the front you can easily give it a quick test anyway.

I am starting to think it's my car battery. A few things leads me to believe this:

- I was reading around and learned that my car comes with a weak battery from factory (2015+ Subaru WRX)
- One time I had just ACC on to listen to the radio. After just 15 minutes or so my car wouldn't start. This was just a few months after I had purchased the car new
- If I unplug the USB cord and leave just the car adapter in, the green light turns on immediately. As soon as I plug the USB it's lights out
- During my first drive today the green light / dashcam didn't power on at all. The second and third time that I started the car the dashcam immediately powered on

To rule out any faults with the dashcam and/or car adapter, I will test everything on another car next week.

I still think a CPL on the rear cam is worth it. If you're getting one for the front you can easily give it a quick test anyway.
Great idea!

Back