Latest iOS Blackvue App, a crashfest?

Just downloaded the BV app from Apple App Store using my iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14.5.1. This BV then said it does not work (and did not allow any access to the app), then sent me back to the Apple store and what looks like the very same BV app, but with the "get" button highlighted in blue (which indicates it has not been downloaded). After some hesitation I downloaded this second app (but again with the same name as the firstBV app), and it appears to work. At least it allows me to access the app. It may be a couple of days before I progress on this installation but will try to update if anything goes wrong.

Thank goodness for this website...

I downloaded this second app (but again with the same name as the firstBV app)
Let this be your first indication that Blackvue/Pittasoft’s software development skills are well below average, and set your expectations on the future stability of the app and the overall platform accordingly.

Oh well, $1000 down the drain...
Truly, it’s a great system when it works. Probably the best. But Pittasoft has established a years-long pattern of poor software quality, both on their mobile apps (2.0 out of 5 stars) and their back end cloud platform (see week long outage earlier this month.) This pattern has not improved at all over time, indicating they are content with the way they engineer software. I filed a support request asking them to tell me what their plans are for preventing such an outage again, and they’ve dodged the question 3 times now, which means one of two things: (1) they don’t agree they have a problem with software quality; (2) they have no idea how to improve their practices.

All of that to say, when it works it’s great, but you can’t rely on it to work 100% of the time. Maybe that’s good enough. But for the money they charge, it should be better.

Back