Leads

Just to clarify, you can use the short data cable to power up the camera normally, but just can’t use your computers USB port for power. You can use a USB wall charger.

The result is a long cable only for VR operation, and a short cable only for data transmission.
Exactly, but it wasn't doing that, only did it work when I used this long cable

Attachments

• 20220311_160632.jpg
    20220311_160632.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 3
Just to clarify, you can use the short data cable to power up the camera normally, but just can’t use your computers USB port for power. You can use a USB wall charger.
To power it up only, it won't transfer data
But the long one will transfer data and power on

To power it up only, it won't transfer data
But the long one will transfer data and power on
With the long USB cable the camera should NOT go into Mass Storage Mode. Without going into Mass Storage Mode, you can’t transfer data from the memory card (while it’s inside the camera) to your computer. Are you referring to transferring data to your phone or your computer?

With the long USB cable the camera should NOT go into Mass Storage Mode. Without going into Mass Storage Mode, you can’t transfer data from the memory card (while it’s inside the camera) to your computer. Are you referring to transferring data to your phone or your computer?
M8 honestly.... I am confused now!! lol

M8 honestly.... I am confused now!! lol
When you use the short USB data cable to plug the camera into your computer, you can only transfer data from the memory card to the computer. You can do nothing else (other than turn the camera on/off). Your camera acts as a card reader and will show up on your PC as a drive. You cannot use WiFi in this state.
When you plug the long USB power cable into your camera and your computers USB port, then you cannot transfer data. The camera powered this way will power on and start recording normally, just like in your car. With the long USB power cable, you can turn on Wifi and transfer files to your phone if that's what your trying to do.

My next Q is this...... why did they make it so complicated, If I had known how complicated this cam is, I would never have bought it, there are simper ones out there without all this fuss

My next Q is this...... why did they make it so complicated, If I had known how complicated this cam is, I would never have bought it, there are simper ones out there without all this fuss
Not sure what is complicated about it. Use one cable to transfer files to your computer and the other to power normally.

We seem to be back to the same question I tried to answer at the beginning of this thread. It's not complicated at all and in fact most dash cams are made this way. Generally speaking, the long power cable would be installed in your car so it wouldn't even be available to use with your computer. That's the reason they provide the extra dedicated short data cable to use with your computer for the purpose transferring files.

As I said previosuly, I'm not sure why your long cable works and your short cable doesn't. I makes no sense actually.

Often people report the opposite problem. They find that the long cable won't work on their computer but the short one will.

The issue usually has to do with number of active pins in the cable plug that correspond to the number of wires in the cable. So usually the short cable supplied with the camera is intended for transferring data to and from your computer (your videos) and the long cable supplied with the camera is just for powering the camera.

As I said previosuly, I'm not sure why your long cable works and your short cable doesn't. I makes no sense actually.
I think he may be just confusing what process he is expecting to happen when using the cables. @Dopey1 when you plug the long USB cable into your camera and the other end into your computer, does the camera enter Mass Storage Mode?

I think he may be just confusing what process he is expecting to happen when using the cables. @Dopey1 when you plug the long USB cable into your camera and the other end into your computer, does the camera enter Mass Storage Mode?
The long cable, Yes, but that's not the same cable you use for the back camera, it's this one I use

Attachments

• 20220311_160632.jpg
    20220311_160632.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 3
The long cable, Yes, but that's not the same cable you use for the back camera, it's this one I use
Using the cable you posted a picture of makes the camera enter Mass Storage Mode when you plug it into your computer? This is the Viofo cable that came with the camera?

It would say It on the cameras LCD screen. What does the screen show when you use that long cable plugged into your computer?
As the pick, but when plugged in, the windows pictures come up, and I can save what's on the card

Attachments

• 20220311_161532.jpg
    20220311_161532.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 4
@Dopey1 when you plug the long USB cable into your camera and the other end into your computer, does the camera enter Mass Storage Mode?

I'm not familiar with the A129 Pro Duo but the power cable in @Dopey1's photo looks pretty fat compared with some of the thinner ones Viofo has been shipping with its other cameras. Does it look like the factory supplied cable to you?

The way it was (Is) folded up, I would say it was their cable (at a guess) as it looks new, I have so many cables I can't be sure, I have the all in one bag so who knows?

Unless Viofo has changed the design of the cables, that looks like the short data cable. Comparing to some cameras I have here, that doesn't look like the long USB power cable. The two dimples on the cable connector are only on the short cables I have here. The stress reliever design is that of the short data cable as well. I pointed out the areas in the posted pic.

@Dopey1 What gauge is printed on the cable? The long USB power cable should say 20 AWG.

Attachments

• A129 Pro DCT.jpg
    A129 Pro DCT.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 4
Back