Lens APERTURE F1.6 vs F2.8 ? Mobius vs LS300W vs Panorama2 Panorama II

More than that, Powerucc has a lot of Chroma Noise, suggesting, IMHO, high ISO usage, that means electrical amplification of the sensor (of the useful signal, but also of the noise). The sharpness is decreasing when ISO is increasing, as in photo. In right I simulated a slight increasing of EV.

Dont forget Panorama2 12Mbps vs Ls300w 15Mbps bit-rate, there is a some noise explenations. Also much wider FOV which "stretches" image per each cmos pixel.
Good point of 12mbps is consuming less storage space and maybe not overloading that much cpu and ram, less stress to components increasing reliability ( this all is theory ). Of course good if Pan2 increase to 15Mbps but it might lead to other troubles.
Wider fov is good, more action can be recorded but losing some sharpness.
As I replayed in my last post, there are pros and cons for all dash cams. Every buyer has to chose what best for his need.

Wider fov is good, more action can be recorded but losing some sharpness.

That's not true. The sharpnes is not dependent on the FOV. The objects only seems to be more distant, but not less sharp. The appearance of the loss of sharpness is due to the video compression, because the objects aren't closer, in foreground, but in back ground and smaller. But for closer objects the sharpness is the same as in narrower FOV cameras.
The sharpness it's dependent on the aperture and the size of the sensor and, most important, on the adjustement and fine-tuning of the lens. But at such of small sensors, the sharpness is not dramatically afected by the size of the aperture.
Otherwise, I agree with you.

Last edited:
That's not true. The sharpnes is not dependent on the FOV. The objects only seems to be ,ore distant, but not less sharp. The sharpness it's dependent on the aperture and the size of the sensor and, most important, on the adjustement and fine-tuning of the lens. But at such of small sensors, the sharpness is not dramatically afected by the size of the aperture.
Otherwise, I agree with you.

It theory you maybe right, in practical life reading of details ( such as numberplates ) is slightly sharper on narrow fov lens dash cams than with wider fov due to object being closer. But as mentioned, its sll about cmos size. The closer cmos to 2mpix value which 1080p uses, the bigger is each individual pixel, the more light it gets resulting in more details. But of course FOV will play some role here as well, because wider FOV image should be "compressed / fit " on to the same 1080p area as with narrower FOV where object details on narrower fov lens will be more clear. So if making side by side tests with same dash cameras but different lens fov, the narrower one will win for sure for details reading.

I havent been able to get to a free internet location to see your vidios but i have a question, i have had an aiptek x2 for several months and it has amazing (i think) day quality but night wasn't so good. So i got the ls300w 2 days ago because of the reviews and f1.6 and wdr. I was very disappointed, you can see more at night but around the lights is all a huge ball of light. If someone has bright license plate lights it washes out the license plate. My aiptek x2 has more noise, but plates are clearer than the 300w. X2 is 1/2.5 5 mp cmos ( do you know what brand? I cant find out.) and bit rate is 9mbp

9mbps. According to this link the dod is not capable of wdr. http://dashcamtalk.com/ls300w/
So my question is what do you think of the aiptek x5? It has 1/3 3.something mp cmos and wdr. Would it be better than the ls300w? I watched the vidios released on youtube by dod and the quality of mine does not match what they post.

Not too much info on the Aiptek X5 around here. It's form factor is similar to the well regarded Vico TF2+ but different manufacturer.

I'm guessing you chose the Mobius A lens vs the B lens. The B lens has a much better night performance; does it have the same aperture?

Does seem to be quite similar. Different buttons and i believe the aiptek has parking mode, but i will look into reviews of that one more, thanks

I'm guessing you chose the Mobius A lens vs the B lens. The B lens has a much better night performance; does it have the same aperture?
Sorry, are you replying to my question? I just ordered my ls300w off ebay from post to the west, no idea what lens it has, how do you tell?

Sorry, are you replying to my question? I just ordered my ls300w off ebay from post to the west, no idea what lens it has, how do you tell?
No, sorry, I was asking a question on the original post regarding aperture and the difference in components

Are you using the A or B lens for the mobius? I downloaded the raw video files and when specifically looking to see (going frame by frame) the clarity of license plates at night/day it seemed the mobius did quite a bit better than the panorama. There were a few license plates the mobius got a clear picture of that the panorama failed to capture clearly, and the mobius was able to generally "read" license plates from farther away.

Also, was it you that said they were working on a comparison between the panorama, mobius and mini 0803?

I appreciate your comparisons, very comprehensive and useful to buyers researching for a new cam :)

Back