Lens flare?

do you have a lot of lens flares as well?

• Total voters

nuxator

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, i've just replaced my mini 0801 by an A119 and i'm impressed by image quality improvement.
But, i aslo noticed a lot of lens flare.
I'm ok with lens flase with the sun, but i have it with traffic lights of all cars.
The lens flares are purple/reddish spots.
So my question is: do you have a lot of lens flares as well?

any pictures?

do you have tint film on the glass? that can cause all sorts of weird effects. also check for fingerprints on the lens, or anything on the glass in front of the camera.

i only get lens flares from the sun, and only at very specific angles - mostly driving directly into the sun. so it's not very common for me.

I'm at work, will post pictures later.
When i watched my recording last list, i though there where UFOs in the sky as i get a lens flare for each incomming car in the oposite way.
I removed the blue protection film when i installed the cam.The lens is super clean and my windshield is not tinted.
But when i look the lens i find it somewhat purple. I think it's an anti glare coating.

It's best seen in video so i uploaded a short sample.
See up/left from the middle of thescreen the purple moving dots?

It's best seen in video so i uploaded a short sample.
See up/left from the middle of thescreen the purple moving dots?
I see red dots/reflections that go from the middle of screen to the right. Looks like maybe your getting some kind of reflections from the tail lights of the cars your passing. I would tilt your lens down a click or 2. You have too much sky in your video. This might help with the reflections too.

I see red dots/reflections that go from the middle of screen to the right. Looks like maybe your getting some kind of reflections from the tail lights of the cars your passing. I would tilt your lens down a click or 2. You have too much sky in your video. This might help with the reflections too.
agree - they look like tail light reflections. is your windshield almost vertical, such as in a jeep wrangler?

getting a polarizing lens filter could help cut reflections as well. the CPL was just released a few days ago.

Not taillights, rather it's the headlights of the vehicles approaching.

Watch the reflections and you will see the distance between the lights becomes wider indicating the source is getting closer to the camera. If they were taillight reflections they would be going away from the camera and the apparent distance between them would be getting smaller.

I have an older car with original windshield and after years of use the windshield causes reflections/glare/smearing from lights (especially at night). Any scratches, chips, dust or dirt on the windshield can cause reflections like this even if it is barely visible during the day. Any imperfection can cause reflections.

For example take a look at this comparison between my windshield (top) vs my friend who drives a far newer vehicle (bottom). I've had similar reflection to yours with tail lights/head lights too because my windshield is quite chipped/scratched. No amount of window cleaner helps at this point. And it happens with every camera I use.

I don't have samples from the A119s yet sorry! But this is somewhat relevant anyways.

zz.jpg

Last edited:
I have Alfa Romeo 159, windshield from 2008 and lens flare are terrible. By day, it's no problem, but at night it is terrible. And it does not even damage to the windshield.

Fortunately the seller of our country (Czech Republic) ordered cpl and next week at a warehouse and finally the end of the lens flare.

For samples, I add 3 screen, one outside the city and others in the city. Quality little worse "only" 1080@60 and saved printscreen from KMPlayer.

(Google translate little help with translations)

1.png 2.JPG 3.JPG

Back