LGD521 hardwire issue

Rc39

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried installing my new LG Innotek LGD-521 dash cam today but it won’t turn on. I used a thinkware hard wire kit as the official LG one seems to be sold out everywhere.

Using the hardwire kit and two add a fuse wires, I connected the ACC to the power outlet fuse slot piggybacking off of a 15 amp fuse. The battery red wire connects to the hazard lights which are a 10 amp fuse. The fuses I’m using for the piggy back are also 10 amps and they’re mini fuses. The original fuses from the car are low profile mini fuses.FA7650AA-1DAF-45E9-9853-E90947078E99.jpeg

I tried switching the position and orientation but it still doesn’t turn on. It works when plugged into the cigarette lighter directly using the other cable.

Could it be the ground wire or maybe the kit is just not compatible with the dash cam?

098CEE7D-91A0-416A-BAF8-8B7AF93BAB10.jpegE5ADC30F-521D-4AFF-87A3-ADAE0BACBE15.jpeg

can't see your ground wire pic to know if it's mounted on plastic like it looks or not, good chance the hardwire kit is not compatible though

Welcome to DCT :)

Sounds more like a grounding issue to me if it's not working with the taps swapped around. Undo the ground wire and hold it to the outer shell of the ciggie socket which will be well grounded. If that works the bolt you used isn't a ground (which is a common occurrence with many cars now). Also could be that the fuse you tap for "always hot" isn't. Check it with a test light or multimeter.

Phil

Thanks for the tip. It turns out that screw wasn’t the correct for grounding. I opened the side panel and found the proper grounding screw. Unfortunately, the dash cam still won’t turn on when using the new grounding point.

4E28D4CF-FD13-4935-BD7D-D850C41F189F.jpeg

I tried hardwiring my old A119 using the same fuses and ground point and it worked. The hazard lights and power outlet both work so I assume it’s not the add a fuse wires.

I’m thinking at this point either the thinkware hardwire kit is broken or it just isn’t compatible. I really hoped it would have worked as it looked exactly the same as the LG hardwire kit.

Perhaps I’ll bring it to a dash cam shop and they might be able to figure it out or I’ll email LG and see if they can sell me a hardwire kit as it’s impossible to find.

Edit: It seems that Thinkware is also a Korea based company. It would make sense that both Thinkware and LG use the same suppliers for their hardwire kits. Everything about them looks the same. I'll try to get a hold of a multimeter and see if power is making its way up the kit.

Last edited:
interesting info.....i am having the same issue with my '10 tundra.....i am/was using a cellink B for reserve power & did the same hook-up method in the fuse box & got power to the female side of plug to the camera, but nothing at the camera??? the lighter power cord will start the camera OK..strange & frustrating so i guess opening that side panel will be next

i have not had my new LGD 521 (3yr old) recording yet but i am curious if there is a 1080HD rear camera that is compatible with this system

i have not had my new LGD 521 (3yr old) recording yet but i am curious if there is a 1080HD rear camera that is compatible with this system

Most probably not. They're designed together and using something else would at the very least disrupt the auto-exposure, vid processing, etc. 720P is good enough for most folks in back- you have to decide that yourself. Better stuff to be had nowadays but there's no use tossing out a perfectly cam if it does what YOU want it to ;)

Phil

Back