live view while parked?

Booma

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be my first dash cam. I want a cam that I can watch live while the vehicle is parked so I can check on it from time to time. I use Comcast so there are wifi hot spots all around me that I can use. And the vehicle has built in wifi (but I but it turns off when the truck is off. Not sure) Will the DR750S let me view live video while parked?

This thread gives me an idea to use an old android phone as a surveillance cam for my parked truck.

If you have the camera powered up and constantly connected to a WiFi hotspot, then you can use the BlackVue Viewer to connect to it via the cloud and view live. But for only 5 minutes per day unless you pay for a subscription.

If you have the camera connected to a WiFi hotspot *you own* (ie. your own wireless router inside your house), then you can direct-connect to it via the assigned IP address. The URL to direct-connect is:
http://<ip address>/blackvue_live.cgi?direction=R
(or ?direction=F)

Public WiFi hotspots won't let you do this. I don't know if your vehicle's built-in WiFi will, but I'm betting it's not designed to allow incoming access from outside the vehicle. Making this all work required a bit of advanced knowledge of networking, and takes a lot of fiddling to get just right.

Brad.

B1W (and I presume some others) can give you a still 'snapshot' view via their wifi but it's not video. Might be good enough though ;)

Phil

This thread gives me an idea to use an old android phone as a surveillance cam for my parked truck.
For your idea think to CameraFi Live.
If you can live stream (private!?) on Facebook, YouTube, etc, you also have a backup.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back