LK-7900 3M double sided tape, difference between the two?

Re: LK-7900 3M double sided tape, difference between the two

Al Drake said:
Jazzist said:
I'd definitely keep a spare mount and tape. I've found that removing the tape is no big deal either. I use a hair dryer and apply heat from the outside. The tape peels off effortlessly. That plastic won't bond with any type of cement either so be careful if you don't have a spare.

I have to email Apple-CT tonight about getting another Lukas and those mounts. I haven't gotten any response from LUKAS email.

I got a reply from Lukas already, weird. Apple-CT is allot quicker at getting back to you. At least Apple-CT is experienced in sending parcels all over the world so I'd go with him, I'd be nervous about ordering direct as what if they take a week to send it once you've paid etc.

Also thinking about a second Lukas for the rear cam whilst I'm getting a spare mount or 2 shipped over. Will hold off for a couple of weeks and see how I get on, hope it isn't raining all weekend so I can fit the camera etc.

I'll post some photos of the camera installed for sure :)

Thanks for your useful post :geek:

Jazzist said:
Al Drake said:
Jazzist said:
I'd definitely keep a spare mount and tape. I've found that removing the tape is no big deal either. I use a hair dryer and apply heat from the outside. The tape peels off effortlessly. That plastic won't bond with any type of cement either so be careful if you don't have a spare.

I have to email Apple-CT tonight about getting another Lukas and those mounts. I haven't gotten any response from LUKAS email.

I got a reply from Lukas already, weird. Apple-CT is allot quicker at getting back to you. At least Apple-CT is experienced in sending parcels all over the world so I'd go with him, I'd be nervous about ordering direct as what if they take a week to send it once you've paid etc.

Also thinking about a second Lukas for the rear cam whilst I'm getting a spare mount or 2 shipped over. Will hold off for a couple of weeks and see how I get on, hope it isn't raining all weekend so I can fit the camera etc.

I'll post some photos of the camera installed for sure :)

You heard from Lukas? What did they say? Was it about the mounts? I'm not in any hurry but I would like to get it settled and have the mounts. I've ordered from China and waited weeks if not months so I know what waiting is all about. I bought something from a seller in China that was defective and waited months before it was finally resolved. It seems they all turn out well in the end.

I was bet these Lukas cameras really catch on. I was wondering how many Aussie DCs caught the eclipse. That would be a nice test with a CPL for those that don't really have a decent camera.

They said that they can supply the spare mount. I also asked about spare battery for the lk -530, they can supply this too (About half the price of the (lk-530) itself).

I seem to have the email address of somewhere there who replies (first name Mi) :)

They told me Apple-CT is not an authorised seller so they hope that he provides proper service and warranty (well... Who is authorised and ships worldwide...?). I'm sold on Apple-CT, gets back to me quick as a flash.

I was also asking Lukas about the acc wire of the lk-290 and whether it needs connecting or not. This was from my first email before I ordered the camera I think :

"
Yes, you can leave ACC disconnected but since ACC function is the advantage of LK-290, you’d better get ACC connected. If you don’t think you need ACC function, use LK-270 instead.

And timer mode is set by Mode Switch not by ACC connection.

ACC is the function that enables to supply power safely to Black box even if when input voltage gets disturbed by unexpected factors such as the use of aircon or heater etc during driving. So it’s good to connect and use ACC function."

Still not sure I see the point, I ordered the new for 2013 lk-270 (type c dual output). Erm no I didn't I ordered the 290 and that's the new one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jazzist said:
They said that they can supply the spare mount. I also asked about spare battery for the lk -530, they can supply this too (About half the price of the (lk-530) itself).

I seem to have the email address of somewhere there who replies (first name Mi) :)

They told me Apple-CT is not an authorised seller so they hope that he provides proper service and warranty (well... Who is authorised and ships worldwide...?). I'm sold on Apple-CT, gets back to me quick as a flash.

I was also asking Lukas about the acc wire of the lk-290 and whether it needs connecting or not. This was from my first email before I ordered the camera I think :

"
Yes, you can leave ACC disconnected but since ACC function is the advantage of LK-290, you’d better get ACC connected. If you don’t think you need ACC function, use LK-270 instead.

ACC is the function that enables to supply power safely to Black box even if when input voltage gets disturbed by unexpected factors such as the use of aircon or heater etc during driving. So it’s good to connect and use ACC function."

Still not sure I see the point, I ordered the new for 2013 lk-270 (type c dual output). Erm no I didn't I ordered the 290 and that's the new one.

So did you order any mounts? Did you find out what they cost? I'm surprised they don't give Apple-CT a dealership or make him a partner. I've always had good luck with him. He has an awesome site.

Al Drake said:
Jazzist said:

"

So did you order any mounts? Did you find out what they cost? I'm surprised they don't give Apple-CT a dealership or make him a partner. I've always had good luck with him. He has an awesome site.

I've replied to Lukas and asked if I have permission to share the price and email address with the forum.

jamesbcd said:
Mine has already snapped. :cry:

My mount has just broken in the same spot as yours. VERY LITTLE USE. Only had cam for three days, removed/replaced maybe five times. I must say I did recognize this as a potential weak spot the first time I had to remove the camera, and sure enough it did break. I would say to try and purchase a spare mount when you buy this camera if you intend to remove it occasionally.
It still holds the camera securely but it does now have more play than before.

rrbum said:
jamesbcd said:
Mine has already snapped. :cry:

My mount has just broken in the same spot as yours. VERY LITTLE USE. Only had cam for three days, removed/replaced maybe five times. I must say I did recognize this as a potential weak spot the first time I had to remove the camera, and sure enough it did break. I would say to try and purchase a spare mount when you buy this camera if you intend to remove it occasionally.
It still holds the camera securely but it does now have more play than before.

This is identical with one of my LK-7900 cameras. The one in the rear window is tight and firm but the one in front is weaker but it functions fine. I haven't been able to see any cracks. I think a hard rubber model of this mount would be better and last longer. I can see them all failing in time. This will be the weakness of an otherwise great camera. Once set in position I haven't moved either of them so maybe this feature isn't all that much of a necessity.

Sorry to hear rrbum.

I have noticed mine has been weaker than before too. When the camera is in, the crack opens up to about 2 or 3mm so I'm quite annoyed actually.

For testing purposes, I tried sticking it on with that double lock 3m adhesive without the mount. It's alright but I think I might have to purchase another mount. It's super easy to reposition the cam as you can yank it on and off. Unlike the adhesive as once it's on... it's stuck unless you remount with new adhesive.

Jazz, what were the prices? or an email address I could use to ask them myself? Not sure why you need their permission to tell us price. :p

jamesbcd said:
Sorry to hear rrbum.

I have noticed mine has been weaker than before too. When the camera is in, the crack opens up to about 2 or 3mm so I'm quite annoyed actually.

For testing purposes, I tried sticking it on with that double lock 3m adhesive without the mount. It's alright but I think I might have to purchase another mount. It's super easy to reposition the cam as you can yank it on and off. Unlike the adhesive as once it's on... it's stuck unless you remount with new adhesive.

Jazz, what were the prices? or an email address I could use to ask them myself? Not sure why you need their permission to tell us price. :p

Not having heard from Lukas after emailing 2 different contacts I got a reply from Apple-CT and asked him to send me 2 mounts plus shipping is $28.

I am thinking that 3M dual lock VHB might be worth trying, that way you can take the mount off rather than the camera out of the mount.

There's a member in another thread who uses it, says it's solid.

Apparently it snaps together, i.e. much stiffer than velcro.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-SJ3550-BLA ... 3a68a7b5cf

edit: just noticed James is already using it :D

Al Drake said:
jamesbcd said:
Sorry to hear rrbum.

Not having heard from Lukas after emailing 2 different contacts I got a reply from Apple-CT and asked him to send me 2 mounts plus shipping is $28.

Don't understand that. Surely if you don't reply straight away you get an ever growing backlog, unless eg you spend a whole day a week answering emails.

Al Drake said:
george55321 said:
Dark red is for hot climate (Arizona, Florida....) the other is for medium climate. Don't know which one will last longer.

AlDrake, agree, I think the plastic mount will deteriorate before the tape and also a bit my concern. Where can we get a new one?
BTW My 7900 shuts down in noon/afternoon, to hot in the car but it comes back pretty fast once start driving and A/C.
Be also aware, (USA law) if your car is parked in your driveway and your camera is recording, the car is considered on private property and on private property it is illegal to record somebody's voice without them knowing it.

I am looking for a new mount but haven't had any luck yet. How hot did it get? I was thinking of using a thermometer to monitor the temp when it gets real hot later this summer. Can you post a link to the law you are referring to? How did you learn about this law? What is the penalty for a violation? I wonder if you posted a warning stating you are recording it that would be alright. I know you can do it if you are on the phone.

Sorry for late reply
was on TV the other night when they where talking about dash-cams and more people are having them in there car. Here are 2 links.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 34.03.html
http://www.uvu.edu/wrs/trainingmaterials/recording.html
Conclusion: it can get anybody in a hell of a expensive mess. In the end you may even win but the darn (lawyer) will cost you. :eek:
Simple, voice recording is off on my 7900. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Does that include the VHB adhesive Al Drake?

It's the mount and the bag including adhesives, cable clips, Allen key.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have just emailed APPLE-CT as well and asked about replacement bases. Hopefully he will be able to help me out too. Meanwhile I have wrapped a rather heavy duty rubber band around the outer perimeter of the mount and it seems to add a little more grip by resisting the plastic's spreading at the crack. I'm sure the sun will have it's way with the rubber in short order though.

george55321 said:
Al Drake said:
george55321 said:
Dark red is for hot climate (Arizona, Florida....) the other is for medium climate. Don't know which one will last longer.

AlDrake, agree, I think the plastic mount will deteriorate before the tape and also a bit my concern. Where can we get a new one?
BTW My 7900 shuts down in noon/afternoon, to hot in the car but it comes back pretty fast once start driving and A/C.
Be also aware, (USA law) if your car is parked in your driveway and your camera is recording, the car is considered on private property and on private property it is illegal to record somebody's voice without them knowing it.

I am looking for a new mount but haven't had any luck yet. How hot did it get? I was thinking of using a thermometer to monitor the temp when it gets real hot later this summer. Can you post a link to the law you are referring to? How did you learn about this law? What is the penalty for a violation? I wonder if you posted a warning stating you are recording it that would be alright. I know you can do it if you are on the phone.

Sorry for late reply
was on TV the other night when they where talking about dash-cams and more people are having them in there car. Here are 2 links.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 34.03.html
http://www.uvu.edu/wrs/trainingmaterials/recording.html
Conclusion: it can get anybody in a hell of a expensive mess. In the end you may even win but the darn (lawyer) will cost you. :eek:
Simple, voice recording is off on my 7900. :)

I am still not convinced that under all circumstances recording voice is prohibited. I have security cameras installed at my home that record voice. If someone is on my property I will record what I want. My car is also my property and under certain conditions I think voice recording is proper for protection of my property. I will read more and see what I can find but I am not afraid of doing what I think is right for now.

Thanks for the links.

I don't watch TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

in some states you're meant to have a notice warning that conversations may be recorded, we are including a small sticker with this printed with our next model for this reason

Ok chaps.. He gave me permission to post our private emails to the public forum ;)
"Yes you can post them on the website of course. "

"The spare battery for LK-530 is as follows;

· 2600mA - $36.50
· 3000mA - $55.00
· Spare mounting bracket set - $ 4.60

And shipping fee will be charged."

Contact is:
Mi Jin Yoon
Overseas Sales Team
E-mail: m j y o o n AT q r o n t e c h DOT c o m

Also, in the future:
"We are considering building up a proper online payment system such as PayPal on Lukas website so users can purchase products especially such an extra accessories directly from us. So sooner or later we will find the best method for overseas users whatever it would be. "

They're also lurking here:
"I visited and read some posts there and found they are interesting. J I’m glad that Black boxes are getting popular and to be known by people world widely. "

Also said that he's happy to discuss the products like we have been doing:
"Thank you for providing me good information. Such an opinion or feedback on the website can help us improve our firmware as well as products.
Email me again if you have more queries.
Cheers"

Best wishes,
Jazzist.

Did he say how much shipping was? Was just about to pay the invoice Apple-CT sent me but Lukas is obviously a lot cheaper..
Will give them an email now.

Didn't say.
Don't expect a fast response!
Also don't think they have a PayPal account so don't know how you'd pay.

:-$

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back