Looking for a dashcam, who can help me out before I go crazy?

But now I'm going a little off topic.
Not off topic at all.
The last similar thread from a new member was planning a cross country trip, and wanted to record footage during the day, and then share it on YouTube at night with friends, and family back home.
He ended up buying an A119 Mini 2, several SD Cards, and a Chromebook laptop.

Greetings,
I am in the same bus as OP and looking forward to owning my first ever dashcam, and would like it to be "future-proof"
My use case will be day-to-day in hot 49c -120f weather during Summer, instead of a trip.
I have been waiting for Sony STARVIS iii to be announced for 5 months now - since my decision to invest in a dashcam. STARVIS ii has been out for years now, around the same time frame between STARVIS i & ii.
I would have waited it out but I have a business trip to China soon; it would be a missed opportunity to not get a deal there on the latest and greatest dash cam.

Greetings,
I am in the same bus as OP and looking forward to owning my first ever dashcam, and would like it to be "future-proof"
My use case will be day-to-day in hot 49c -120f weather during Summer, instead of a trip.
I have been waiting for Sony STARVIS iii to be announced for 5 months now - since my decision to invest in a dashcam. STARVIS ii has been out for years now, around the same time frame between STARVIS i & ii.
I would have waited it out but I have a business trip to China soon; it would be a missed opportunity to not get a deal there on the latest and greatest dash cam.
You can always wait for a long time. Plus it would take some time after announcement before the first cams get published. And maybe some bugs in the start etc. Especially if there's a big trip coming up. And you can't really go wrong with the higher end starvis 2 cams.

On my own topic : I've just ordered a A229 Pro 2CH! Really excited. Will receive it Tuesday hopefully. Will have to order a separate hk4 and sd card later this week.

I have been waiting for Sony STARVIS iii to be announced for 5 months now - since my decision to invest in a dashcam.
I'm not expecting Starvis 3 for a long time yet, the first Starvis 2 2K dashcam only arrived last summer, and most 4K Starvis 2 dashcams only arrived in the second half of last year. Image sensor development is not as fast as iPhone development!

Reactions: Mtz
We are too late you have gone crazy

On my own topic : I've just ordered a A229 Pro 2CH! Really excited. Will receive it Tuesday hopefully. Will have to order a separate hk4 and sd card later this week.
Congrats.
Don’t forget to order the CPL Filter for the REAR camera when you order the Hardwire Kit & SD Card.
https://viofo.com/accessories/356-v...era-of-a229a229-plusa229-proa139a139-pro.html
And for goodness sake test the camera in your house BEFORE you install it in your car, and BEFORE the return policy expires in case there’s a problem.
1.) Check current firmware.
2.) Check Lens focus front & rear indoor / outdoor.
3.) Get familiar with all the modes, and settings.
4.) Download the Viofo APP to all your devices to check for compatibility issues, iPhone, Android device, iPad, tablet, etc.
5.) Take the SD Card out and insert it in your computer, play, and download files to check for any compatibility issues.
6.) Start a YouTube channel to upload your test footage for later reference.
You can set the privacy of the videos to UNLISTED so only you can see them, or whoever you send the video link to.
7.) Extra Torture Testing
Set the cameras on a window sill looking outside so it can capture cars driving by, movement, etc.
Run the camera for 12 hours non-stop, then put in refrigerator for 8 hours.
Check the SD Card for missing, corrupt files, etc while it’s in the fridge.
If it can survive 7 days this, it will most likely outlast the warranty period, and beyond.
8.) Here’s a helpful video from our friends at @BlackboxMyCar
9.) I know I’m forgetting something else.

-Chuck

7.) Extra Torture Testing
Set the cameras on a window sill looking outside so it can capture cars driving by, movement, etc.
Run the camera for 12 hours non-stop, then put in refrigerator for 8 hours.
Check the SD Card for missing, corrupt files, etc while it’s in the fridge.
Well, I definitely did not do that when I got the cam :D
Besides, our fridge isn't THAT big.

Our fridge blocks the wifi signal - it is a faraday cage, so I wouldn't be able to check "while it is in the fridge." :unsure:

Well, I definitely did not do that when I got the cam :D
Our fridge blocks the wifi signal - it is a faraday cage, so I wouldn't be able to check "while it is in the fridge." :unsure:
You don’t operate the cam in the fridge silly goose.
The point is to get it as hot as possible while operating, and then cold as possible when off.
This should simulate heat / cold cycling.

There is no logical reason for any individual consumer to run a dash cam for some excessive period of time and stick it in a refrigerator.

Developers of high quality dash cams (and countless other products) routinely engage in much more extreme hot and cold testing during the design and development of their products and these same tests are performed on production units coming off the assembly line. Testing is also done for vibration, impact and shock resilience, humidity and numerous other parameters. Cables are also subjected to automated testing procedures. Modern factories routinely have many types of product testing equipment at their disposal.

Temperature tests on dash cam are done using highly specialized Hot and Cold Test Chambers that are far more sophisticated than sticking a camera in a home refrigerator and the manufacturer knows exactly how well your dash cam is likely to perform and survive long before they ship their products.

Last edited:
Back