looking for a dashcam - please help

Gary D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to decide on a dashcam, but there are soooo many choices. In addition, the front page for dashcamtalk seems to suggest some cams that aren't very accessible anymore (mini 0805), so was hoping to get current advice (for my particular needs.)

The most important aspects of the dashcam (for me) would be reliability, video quality (day+night), and something that can be discrete.

Reliability is obvious - I want to use this for many years in any weather conditions. I also don't want to have to disassemble something, refocus it, resolder wires, pray to the Dashcam Gods, or perform a ritual of Proper Functioning before using it.

By video quality, I'm NOT concerned if the camera has a colored tint or something. Instead, I guess it would be better to say "video detail." If things are blurry, pixelated, or over exposed, it won't be useful to read a license plate, etc. (Of course, over-sharpening an image can be just as bad..)

By discrete, I mean that the cam shouldn't call attention to itself from outside the vehicle. So, for example, a shiny silver ring around a lens would be an instant disqualifier. (My car is a 2016 RAV4, which has that "black dot" type shading behind the rear view mirror that can be used to hide the bulk of some cams.)

One other (important) detail: If the cam has a microphone, I need to be able to turn it OFF (and have that setting stick.) My state (Pennsylvania) requires all parties to actively consent, and I'm not going to remember to get consent from anyone getting in my car every time.

I want a permanent or semi-permanent mount (not a suction cup), and I'd eventually be hard-wiring the unit for power. (I already have 12v constant and ACC available in my headliner.)

Other features might be welcome, but aren't required. (GPS/speed would be nice, a "parking mode" would also be nice.)

My budget is up to around $200 (USD) and I'd want something that I can order in the US. (I'd prefer to let distributors deal with international shipping.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary - welcome to the forum

My situation is similar to yours and I'm still looking. My research over many many brands and forms/styles/bodies/specs of cameras has led me to the Street Guardian SG9665GC V2. I'm 99% sold on it so far - the only thing it does not have, which I would prefer if possible, is a buffered parking mode.

But it seems to check all of your other boxes so you might want to check it out. In addition to the cam specs and functions you have the benefit of two well-regarded forum members to aid you - the manufacturer @jokiin and with reseller and support in @Pier28 who is in the USA (who has them on sale atm for just a few bucks over your $200 budget)

Now it might be this is not the cam for you but fwiw, that's where I'd start. At least you'll start to work out, if it's not for you, why that's the case and that will allow you to start looking at other cams knowing what you are after specifically.

The most important aspects of the dashcam (for me) would be reliability, video quality (day+night), and something that can be discrete ... If the cam has a microphone, I need to be able to turn it OFF (and have that setting stick.) ... I want a permanent or semi-permanent mount ... GPS/speed would be nice, a "parking mode" would also be nice ... up to around $200 ...

Welcome to DCT. I suggest the SGZC12RC or SG9665GC. The RC has pre-buffered motion & g sensing, the GC has GPS. I chose the RC, as I wanted pre-buffered sensing & didn't want GPS. Both are small / discreet.

image.jpeg

Hi Gary - welcome to the forum

My situation is similar to yours and I'm still looking. My research over many many brands and forms/styles/bodies/specs of cameras has led me to the Street Guardian SG9665GC V2. I'm 99% sold on it so far - the only thing it does not have, which I would prefer if possible, is a buffered parking mode.

But it seems to check all of your other boxes so you might want to check it out. In addition to the cam specs and functions you have the benefit of two well-regarded forum members to aid you - the manufacturer @jokiin and with reseller and support in @Pier28 who is in the USA (who has them on sale atm for just a few bucks over your $200 budget)

Now it might be this is not the cam for you but fwiw, that's where I'd start. At least you'll start to work out, if it's not for you, why that's the case and that will allow you to start looking at other cams knowing what you are after specifically.
+1

Gary, your asking the same questions as I am.
It looks like the best cameras for us are the Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 (as XB_XB mentioned) or the Street Guardian SGZC12SG V2. I'm leaning towards theSGZC12... since it has the built in GPS, pre-buffered parking mode, includes a CPL filter, you can disable the microphone, and you can add a rear camera later if you want.
P.S. comes with suction cup mount and permanent (3M) mount.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT. I suggest the SGZC12RC or SG9665GC. The RC has pre-buffered motion & g sensing, the GC has GPS. I chose the RC, as I wanted pre-buffered sensing & didn't want GPS. Both are small / discreet.
Are you suggesting a specific camera, or just the Street Guardian brand in general?

When a single person suggests several products, all from the same brand, that implies a bias towards the BRAND (without regard to the product.) Of course, that doesn't mean I'll completely ignore the suggestions... Is there any video comparing the SGZC12RC and SG9665GC? Does one have a better quality than the other? (They seem to use different chipsets.)

The "SG9665GC" seems to be more popular (but that doesn't mean it's better.) Also, while not a requirement for me, the absolutely tiny SGZC12RC is appealing (though I have no idea where I'd stick the box with the screen.)

The only reason I didn't mention the Street Guardian SGZC12SG for Gary is it's price point generally seems a little higher than the SG9665GC and I was trying to accommodate his stated budget. It's certainly a great cam and made my shortlist (and fwiw is still under active consideration!)

hmm.. so the "SGZC12SG" has both GPS _and_ a parking mode? How is it's video quality (detail) in comparison to the other models from SG? While I really don't like it's form factor (it's looks like an old point/shoot camera in the windshield), it might be offset by other factors IF it's much better. While it's 30 USD more than the SG9665GC (prices from pier28.com), it also appears that it can hardwire directly to 12v - which would save me the effort of buying a voltage converter.

This isn't easy, is it?

Are you suggesting a specific camera, or just the Street Guardian brand in general?

I suggested two dashcams, both from the same manufacturer, as they best match your specified requirements. I didn't mention the SGZC12SG as I don't think of it as discreet.

If you want other brand suggestions, consider the Thinkware F750. Nearly bought one myself, but it's not as small / discreet as the SGZC12RC, & I wasn't sure about after-sales support, whereas SG has a proven track record of 24/7/365 support & a no-hassle replacement warranty.

An interesting newcomer to consider is the QVIA T790 ...

https://lukashd.co.uk/product/qvia-t790/

decided against the SGZC12SG... I agree with russ331 that it just isn't discrete enough... (If that feature set was in SGZC12RC or G9665GC form factor, it'd be much more appealing to me.)

Reading, reading, and more reading suggests that the thinkware F750 doesn't have great video quality. (low bitrate?)

The QVIA T790 might be interesting. Or it might not be. I can't seem to find ANY non-advertising information on it.

So, that's putting me back to the original suggestions made of the SGZC12RC (v2) and SG9665GC (v2).

The SGZC12RC doesn't seem to be in stock in the US, doesn't (yet) have any CPL options, and has no GPS option whatsoever. However, I can't help but to really like the discrete mounting of the camera...

The SG9665GC is bulkier on the windshield mounting, has no "parking mode", and the CPL option seems a bit expensive. (Also, it uses a miniUSB instead of the more standard microUSB.

I think the GPS (for time/date and location stamping) would be more useful than the parking mode.

I can't seem to find anything directly comparing the video from these two models. Are there any side-by-side videos or images? @Pier28 ? @jokiin ?

@Calgary Dash Camera - Robert can answer all your questions about the QVIA products, he's doing heavy testing and sales are just getting started. (so far so good)

We just sold out of RC, not ETA on next production but more are coming. We have a few more pieces of the new RC CPL option is actually on the way as we speak. No GPS option on this model

You'll see a lot of side by side videos here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/

The reason I'm leaning to the Street Guardian brand is because of the high temperature tolerance up to 194*F (I'm in FL) and because it is rated as one of the most reliable cameras.
Aye... I'm sure a dashcam would be priceless with all the damn reckless tourist drivers on I-4. (I grew up in Ft Lauderdale then moved to the orlando area (St Cloud and Altamonte Springs/Longwood) before moving to PA. )

If you're using it in FL, I'd wonder what kind of resistance to humidity the dashcam has...

@Calgary Dash Camera - Robert - Do you have any sample videos from the qvia T790? Nighttime video? What bitrate does it record at? Can the videos on the microSD be viewed on a PC, or only via the iOS/Android apps? What viewer?

Thanks
Gary

Email from amazon:
Thank you for shopping with us. You ordered "Street Guardian SG9665GC v2...". We’ll send a confirmation when your item ships.
(prime delivery, so it should show up Friday.)

I just ordered the "basic" (heh) package for now. I want to get familiar with it, test it, ensure I like it, decide on the best mounting location, etc. before I commit to a hardwire install and buy a bigger memory card.

@Pier28, do you normally ship these units with transcend 400x cards? The reason I'm asking is that amazon has them priced pretty low right now (ships from and sold by amazon - so they're likely genuine.)

Once I decide on keeping it (and decide where/how to mount it), I'll probably buy a hard-wire kit (or just make my own) and a 128 or 200 GB microSD card. (I have a samsung pro card floating around somewhere.. would that work in it? Here's a link on amazon for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01CO48M36)

Take Care - and thank you
Gary

@Pier28 - Do you have an estimated time for when amazon will again have stock of SGGCCPL (CPL for the GC model)? Prime "free 2 day" shipping makes things MUCH easier for me than $30 2 day shipping direct from you.

@Pier28 - Do you have an estimated time for when amazon will again have stock of SGGCCPL (CPL for the GC model)? Prime "free 2 day" shipping makes things MUCH easier for me than $30 2 day shipping direct from you.

We sent a bunch last week and just were notified our stock is being returned due to a warehouse error. We'll going to resend them again as soon as they all show up at the office. The error was resolved so it shouldn't happen again. It's a bit tricky selling in Amazon from time to time.

Back