Looking for a reliable cam to withstand Texas temps, tons of driving, and lying jerks

StarrSpark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. Was in an accident 3 weeks ago, jerk crashed into me and lied to insurance saying I crashed into him. Police officer didn't even bother to make a report, despite the fact that the driver admitted to hitting me several times to me AND to the officer, so I have no evidence. I can't retroactively get a dash cam and whip that sucker with the truth, but I'm determined to have evidence should something like this happen again.

Budget about 250$ max for total setup (cam, memory card, any mounting doohickeys). I drive about 25-30k miles a year, more than half at night time. I also live in North Texas, so the setup would need to survive the heat of Hell's sauna and the cold of your ex-girlfriend's shoulder, sometimes both in the same day. I'd prefer a screen but can live without. Any size as long as it doesn't block my view and stays where it's supposed to (I really don't need some huge thing falling off my windshield and conking me in the head). Mostly just need a front camera, but back is ok as long as setup isn't really difficult. I know that's a lot of parameters but I've never had a dash cam before and I found buying a new car easier than dash cam research. I need help :(

Thanks for getting this far

Welcome to the forum StarrSpark.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event, sadly this thing seem to happen to more and more people.

With a budget like that you should be good to go.
In the more reliable end of things the only one i can think off and know from user feedback will be able to hold up to what ever Texas will be able to dish out are Street Guardian.
There is probably others too, even ones you can buy local too, but SG are pretty serious about their cameras and how they treat customers, so a safe bet, and if you sign up you can get 24 month warranty for the effort of registering your product online.
With money like that i would target the new SGGCX2 that are the replacement of the successful GC series that have hit Version 3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B076ZX5C6M
If you can cough up +100 bucks more you can go for the dual channel SG9663DC.
Its just 1 wire you will have to route out back for the rear camera, power and data will zoom thru it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07532KZ3L
Or you can go cheap and just get the SG9665GC V3 that's still a good dashcam by any means.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01N0MXU33
There are a few other brands you might also take a look at, but i am sure some of the guys will mention those, if not i will be back to mention those too.
I am a little affiliated with SG, but i might as well mention them cuz if i dont i am sure other will.

Welcome to DCT :) Here's a second vote for the SG9663DC. There are other cams known to do well in extreme temps but each has it's drawbacks. Overall this one is close to state-of-the-art and does what good dashcams need to do in capturing details and making good vids in all lighting conditions (y) As an alternate choice a pair of A119 or A119S cams would also serve you well. Or you could opt for a cheaper rear cam such as the B1W or G1W-S and put a SG9665GC up front.

It's nice to see someone with a realistic cam budget :D I think you'll do well!

Phil

Back