Looking for dashcam

Cavpollo

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
Hi there, Ive been following this site sporadically for about a year and Ive finally decided to get a dashcam.
I would like some suggestions as I cant come to choose from the cameras reviewed on the main site.

These are my needs:
  • First and most importantly, this is my main concern. The car's windows are tinted (here in Guatemala it's important to have tinted windows unless u dont mind being spotted by thieves), so the cam should still be able to take acceptable day/night video on that condition.
  • Relatively good night time video quality (as I happen to drive back home in between 8 and 10 PM when its dark).
  • Must be discreet (again, thieves...). Any cam with LEDs facing the windows or paited with non-discreet colors are not desirable as they could be easily spotted.
  • Must be reliable, because we all like realiable things, hehe.
  • Good SD card and format support. I wouldn't want to end up getting a really specific one.
  • If its a dual camera, that would be a plus, but not a must.

Thanks in advance for any advice =)

Yes, all windows are tinted.
Front and back are slightly more transparent than the side ones. Otherwise it would be really hard to drive at night, hehe.

Yes, all windows are tinted.
Front and back are slightly more transparent than the side ones. Otherwise it would be really hard to drive at night, hehe.

any camera is going to struggle at night with tinted glass all round

Hi there, Ive been following this site sporadically for about a year and Ive finally decided to get a dashcam.
I would like some suggestions as I cant come to choose from the cameras reviewed on the main site.

These are my needs:
  • First and most importantly, this is my main concern. The car's windows are tinted (here in Guatemala it's important to have tinted windows unless u dont mind being spotted by thieves), so the cam should still be able to take acceptable day/night video on that condition.
  • Relatively good night time video quality (as I happen to drive back home in between 8 and 10 PM when its dark).
  • Must be discreet (again, thieves...). Any cam with LEDs facing the windows or paited with non-discreet colors are not desirable as they could be easily spotted.
  • Good SD card and format support. I wouldn't want to end up getting a really specific one.

Guatemala has hot climate if I understand ?
In this case you need a capacitor based dashcam.
One of most discrete ones from mid-class price range is Mobius., but you need to buy a capacitor version of it. It is very popular and have a good reputation + support from this forum members.
HERE is tons of pictures of how its mounted in the car.

INNOVV C3 has remote lens solution and also Capacitor version.

If you ready to pay more, then there will be out soon "Panorama X1" remote lens dashcam system.
I got a prototype 2.5 month ago and you may find description and installation in my car from HERE.

Those are all 1ch discrete install solutions. Unfortunately there are no good fully reliable 2ch 1080p + 1080p discrete solutions out there yet, so if you want so called 2 channel, you may buy two single dashcams.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jokiin: yeah, I thought so =\

@niko:
Depends on the area. The area where I live, generally, the temperature isin between 18C and 25C (64F / 77F).
Huh, good to know that the capacitor version performs better on hot climates, I look into what your recommendations, thanks.

Any other recoomendatiosn are welcome, of course ^_^

These are my needs:

as niko said Mobius is a nice option, other nice one is SG9665GC with the new sensor the night video is significantly improved. my personal choice would be Panorama X1, im waiting to be released and im getting one.

@jokiin: yeah, I thought so =\

@niko:
Depends on the area. The area where I live, generally, the temperature isin between 18C and 25C (64F / 77F).
Huh, good to know that the capacitor version performs better on hot climates, I look into what your recommendations, thanks.

Any other recoomendatiosn are welcome, of course ^_^

If its not that hot there then you might also be interested in Mini 0806 dashcam. It's based on batteries, but within normal 18-25C weather conditisn its OK to use without removing from car. However its is not as "discrete" in size as earlier mentioned solution, but still worth to consider.

If you are not in a hurry, then wait SG9665GC and Panorama X1 release and chose between them two.

Meanwhile good "back-up" dashcam is Mobius ( battery version ). Even if later you going to change to more advanced dashcam, Mobius is still very useful in everyday life with its truly advanced Android app and user settings interface and very good performance, whats most important as well - huge technical support from this forum and RCGroups forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
@niko thanks, Ill take a look at those too =)

I know it has been a year and some months, but after saving some money I was finally able to get a dashcam =)

Following your advice I got the SG9665GC last week, and today I found the time to install it and take it for a spin.
I never had one before, but I have to say the image is really good considering my window is tinted.

The video during the day is perfect.
During the night and while raining is a good as I expected it to be.

Thanks everyone =)

Back