Looking for e-rear view mirror (don't care about dash cam)

Palloquin

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
So, i might be the odd one out here, asking advice from dashcam ppl, not caring about dashcam features . bare with me...

We tend to fill up our car, when going on vacation, obscuring the view through the rear window. I really miss my rear view mirror then. So I was hoping there is a good electronic option. Allowing me to install a camera in the back, to replace the mirror view.

In this usecase, the only important feature is day and night use of the rear view camera. I want it always on, but not blinding me at night. I won't use it for parking, just driving.
I really don't care (either way) about front facing cameras, GPS, lane assist, etc. If it's there, fine, as long as it does not get in the way of using it as rear view mirror.

Can anybody suggest a brand/model that would work well like this?

Thank you!

Thanks for the tip!
But, indeed, 899 seems like a lot of money for a rvm, especially since a full featured pelsee dashcam is just over 100,-

Would one of those maybe do the trick?

Problem with almost all RVMs is that for lots of new cars the mirror's front (towards the windshield) area is blocked by an electronics box. This obstructs the field of view of any cameras directly attached to the mirror. To make things worse, the RVMs that are wider than the OEM mirror will interfere with the visors.

So this is definitely not my area of expertise, but whenever I go to SEMA, I always see Gentex on site and they make a bunch of RVM's with cameras built in. Here's one example:

Brightness up to 1500 Candela/m
Screen Type/ Resolution 1600X320, 170PPI
FRAME_RATE 60 FPS
Viewing Angle 50° field of view

That is going to look as bright and detailed as a real mirror, the sort of quality that car makers would use as original equipment, not poor quality aftermarket rubbish. A decent mirror needs to be easily viewable in full sunshine and at night, with no time-lag.

At the moment, decent mirror shaped HDR monitors and cameras with decent HDR so that they are a good replacement for a real mirror are very expensive, a few more years and they will become normal, and drop to a sensible price, since they will be used in all new cars.

Until then, a separate monitor might be more sensible, so that you can still use your proper mirror during the times when it is working.

If it is not needed immediately, Viofo made an interesting post recently (Click link to see the post!):

Back