Low profile, wide-angle, parking mode cams for sides

Shep

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
LG: Street Guardian; SM: Mobius
I'm running two Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 cameras (one front and one rear) and need something for the sides. I've had one too many idiots try to run me off the road and need side footage I can give to the police (just happened yesterday even). Here's the requirements:

1) Low profile. I will be installing these in both my daily driver and my DeLorean (yes, the gull-winged one, which thus cannot be window mounted), and I need something that doesn't stick out and obscure my vision too much, so the SG9665GC V2 is out for that reason.

2) Motion-activated parking mode. Also have too many idiots dinging my door and want to have verifiable proof of who did what to my car and when.

3) Wide angle lens. Not necessarily a fish-eye lens, but something that captures a ton of horizontal area.

4) 128GB MicroSD or just SD support. I have a ton of these cards laying around and want to put them to good use.

5) Video quality doesn't matter too much, I just need to capture what happens, not necessarily fine details. Although if I can find a high video quality camera that meets the other requirements, I'll be sold.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to get? I looked through the front page, but beyond the Mini 0805, I didn't see anything I was after (and even that one is quite beefy from the looks of it).

I don't think I've made any duplicate threads. I'm looking for a discreet parking mode camera, which (from what I'm seeing) doesn't really exist sans a few that accept cards in the range of 32 GB to 64 GB -- far too small for a parking mode camera. The closest I got to was a Thinkware camera, but that only supports 64GB. I see you're running four Mobius cameras, which from my understanding don't offer parking mode at all.

I don't think I've made any duplicate threads. I'm looking for a discreet parking mode camera, which (from what I'm seeing) doesn't really exist sans a few that accept cards in the range of 32 GB to 64 GB -- far too small for a parking mode camera. The closest I got to was a Thinkware camera, but that only supports 64GB. I see you're running four Mobius cameras, which from my understanding don't offer parking mode at all.

As I understood you need something with pre-buffer recording, right ?

As I understood you need something with pre-buffer recording, right ?
Optimally, yes. I will settle for turning on when motion is detected however. What did you have in mind? :)

Optimally, yes. I will settle for turning on when motion is detected however. What did you have in mind? :)
What is your budget ?

Flexible. I'm not finding anything cheap to be honest. Seems to be roughly $100 to $200 per camera that only somewhat matches, which was expected, but man am I having trouble finding exactly what I need.

Flexible. I'm not finding anything cheap to be honest. Seems to be roughly $100 to $200 per camera that only somewhat matches, which was expected, but man am I having trouble finding exactly what I need.

Below is a sample installation from my car.
Is this is the size you are looking for?

left-side-jpg.9629

right-side-jpg.9630

Street Guardian SGZC12RC V2

- tested working with 128GB Micro SDXC
- 5sec pre-buffer recording
- good motion detection ( to some people it is way too good / too sensitive )
- uses supercaps instead of batteries
- remote lens

The only think you also need to buy is BDP ( battery discharge protection ) device.

RC ( SGZC12RC ) does not have so called automatic parking mode ( auto-switch between normal- and parking mode ), but due to very good motion detection + pre-buffer rec. most customers select Motion detection always ON and use it 24/7 which is doing the same job.

Camera size:

panorama-remote-camera-jpg.11049

Main DVR unit can be hidden in glove-box or other secure place:

mini-glove-box-2-jpg.9633

Not gonna lie, I came across those pictures, and also somewhere that said there was no feedback yet from that member (I think Pier28 posted that?). I didn't make the connection that it was you!

I had originally ruled out that unit due to this bit:
The only think you also need to buy is BDP ( battery discharge protection ) device.

RC ( SGZC12RC ) does not have so called automatic parking mode ( auto-switch between normal- and parking mode ), but due to very good motion detection + pre-buffer rec. most customers select Motion detection always ON and use it 24/7 which is doing the same job.
But I was unaware the motion detection worked as good as it did and could be hard-wired while not sacrificing performance. I'm sold! :)

I'm going to do some research into a good BDP device before I go all out on this, but thank you VERY much for the recommendation! I'll go with it for sure :D

Not gonna lie, I came across those pictures, and also somewhere that said there was no feedback yet from that member (I think Pier28 posted that?). I didn't make the connection that it was you!

I had originally ruled out that unit due to this bit:
But I was unaware the motion detection worked as good as it did and could be hard-wired while not sacrificing performance. I'm sold! :)

I'm going to do some research into a good BDP device before I go all out on this, but thank you VERY much for the recommendation! I'll go with it for sure :D

No problem.
If there is anything unclear ( specs, performance, functions etc. ). - just ask, we are always here to assist you.

Good feedback is from MS MultiSafer BDP, or if money is not an option then you may check out Vico Power Plus.

No problem.
If there is anything unclear ( specs, performance, functions etc. ). - just ask, we are always here to assist you.

Good feedback is from MS MultiSafer BDP, or if money is not an option then you may check out Vico Power Plus.
What voltage cutoff do you set yours at? I've got a regular OEM battery in my daily driver, and an Optima Red Top in my DeLorean. Do you have a temperature setting on yours? If so, what do you have it set it to?

Pier28 has both the Street Guardian and the Vico Power Plus on sale right now, so I'm nabbing them up from them. I checked your site, but you don't ship to the US, plus the price was higher when converted to USD (probably because of the Pier28 sale). I would've loved to buy from you for helping me out, but financially and logistically, it doesn't make sense.

What voltage cutoff do you set yours at? I've got a regular OEM battery in my daily driver, and an Optima Red Top in my DeLorean. Do you have a temperature setting on yours? If so, what do you have it set it to?

Pier28 has both the Street Guardian and the Vico Power Plus on sale right now, so I'm nabbing them up from them. I checked your site, but you don't ship to the US, plus the price was higher when converted to USD (probably because of the Pier28 sale). I would've loved to buy from you for helping me out, but financially and logistically, it doesn't make sense.

Thanks.
Due to very high customs / duty / vat / currency exchange loss and other charges the price for same goods to land in EEA / EU / UK is up to 50% higher ("thanks" to tax-man). I do look after EEA / EU / UK market.
Pier28 is your local SG and Vico distributor and he is going to look after you.

Sorry, forgot to replay to your questions.
I use 12.2V cut-off.
MS MultiSafet ( FineSafer ) don't have temperature cut-off, so you better go with Vico.

Awesome! One last question: what's the operational temperature limit of the SGZC12RC? It gets pretty hot in my DeLorean especially (it's like a two-seat oven on sunny days), so that's useful information for me. Daily driver suffers through the cold of winter too.

Awesome! One last question: what's the operational temperature limit of the SGZC12RC? It gets pretty hot in my DeLorean especially (it's like a two-seat oven on sunny days), so that's useful information for me. Daily driver suffers through the cold of winter too.

According to factory specs it can work in -20˚C to 80˚C temperature range.

Back