Lucky fox narrowly escapes being flattened

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
Probably my first G-sensor locked file that wasn't a pothole, bump in the road, fast chicane or excessive vibrations (G-sensor is set on lowest but can't be turned off).

Saw three foxes in total last night. Two during this little event and another smaller one near a pub. Normally don't see any, other than those that have already been knocked down.

Why did you get that locked file there and what camera are you using?

My camera is the one in my avatar pic and listed underneath, a Blacksys CF-100. The file locked presumably due to me coming down hard on the brakes (you can see the front of my car dive in the video, you can even hear the brakes if you listen carefully).

Johnny got lucky again.

A while back I saw a fox going over a zebra crossing in central London when the traffic was stopped. Sadly it was too far in the distance to make a decent video. But them town foxes are definitely well adapted.:D

This has happened to me again tonight! Different stretch of road and what looks to be a different animal. I thought it was a fox again but it had a stripey tail. There was another animal just a little further up the road. They seemed quite interested in the nearby farm... Will pull footage off card tomorrow. Honestly, I never normally see anything like this, now twice in two nights. I'll end up having to do some sort of animal complilation at this rate.

I saw a ferret or similar a fjew days back, it allmost ran out in front of me, then stopped ran a little down the road and crossed behind me.

There is a lot going on at night in major towns, good things and bad.

For some reasons seagulls are moving into towns here, and thats not popular as they are pretty damm loud.
I guess its all the crap ppl trow around, cuz back when i was a kid and the streets got cleaned and ppl dident just trow ther waste around we dident have seagulls in town.
Maybe a fjew down on the harbour, but they wasent nesting in town like they are doing en mass now.

Anyway i know who is to blame, so no need looking around ;)

Don't get me started on seagulls! In Carlisle, they literally crap everywhere and on everything. They pinch food off kids as well. Last night, saw hundreds of them just casually chillin' on the grass outside of Carlisle's historic castle. They are an absolute bane of the city. Not sure if my camera picked them up as they were in darkness (street lights still broken thanks to the floods) but will try snap some screenshots later if I can.

seagulls are worse than the flying rats known as pigeons that infest downtown houston. but get out in the burbs and you have Grackles. these are NASTY black birds with a purple sheen to their feathers. i think they sh** about 47 times their own body weight every 3 seconds, and there's something about their poo that somehow lets it drip in one solid line from the roof of your car all the way to the ground without any breaks. they live in the trees at wal-mart, target and other large retail stores. they're noisy too - their "chirp" actually sounds like the word "grackle", thus their name. it's a squeaky crackle that ends in a whistle. and i think they multiply faster than rabbits - i've never seen fewer than about 18 bazillion of them unless it's just the one dead one on the ground.

in fact... skip ahead to 5:04 in this video and you'll see a "small" flock of grackles, likely migrating from the Kroger grocery store about a mile behind me to the HEB grocery store about 1/4 mile ahead of me.

that link above gives a few ways to get rid of them, but i decided on a much more "traditional" method to get rid of the ones trying to nest in the tree over our driveway: :D
11974436-large.jpg

Those grackles do look nasty, glad we don't have them here. I know what you mean about their crap getting everywhere, the seagull droppings are a mix of white that rinses off easily and harder brown droppings that that need strong soap and serious elbow grease to remove once its dried on. Of course if you've left your car for a while then it will be dry when you get back. I really need to get an outdoor tap fitted so I can hook a presure washer up...

Wish it we legal to shoot certain pest birds over here. I think the most we can get away with is bird detterants or training a pet hawk and letting it loose once in a while.

Unfortunatly I accidently deleted any footage which might have had those seagulls in. I was in a bit of a rush to refresh my card to go back in the camera and forgot about it (footage was in normal folder, not event). The other bit of footage with the animal from the other night was most likely just a cat, might sort it out today to upload.

A good airrifle can take care of a lot of things, over here the municipalities or at least Aarhus have given up fighting rats, so they are becomming a major problem.
I am looking forward to get better night vision on my airrifle then i will go hunting in downtown Aarhus backyards and parks.

It do freak me out a municipaliti just give up on what is after all a serious matter.
Its the same with roads, they dont have the money to maintain them, so what do they do ? they privatise the roads and so its the ppl living on that road that have to pay for maintanence.
And if you dont pay then the municipaliti sweep in and do it and then just bill you along with a fine.

Back