Lukas is too overpriced now

Ken

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 Ace
I was going to buy a second cam but Lukas prices have been climbing and I think just too much now.
Originally, I paid DHL air freight, Customs+Brokerage, exchange rate+GST. Now, you get free shipping and the Canadian Gov't I think has dropped tariffs due to a Free Trade Agreement with South Korea.
But prices seem high for a 2MP sensor and 24-30FPS, barely enough to figure out accidents.

I appreciate Lukas' high quality build and steady S/W updates. I can't justify buying a second one with competitor's offering much more value. Anyone else feel this way?

Our Dollar is dropping. What's so special with the Lukas?

Looking at the South Korean Won, its value has increased 10% per year over the past two years, compared to $CAD and £GBP. So that's why I see a 20% hike...

The Lukas is a good dash cam, it works well with none of the hassles which I have experienced with others. Like bad soldering, undecipherable product manuals, buggy firmware, dishonest specs (1MP but "extrapolated to 5MP HD), unit overheating etc. etc.

Well...let's see. Don't be surprised if Lukas isn't carried by many distributors in Canada.

My dealer already said to Lukas they will no longer be ordering units with GPS. If they continue to have issues with Lukas quality and reliability, they might drop them altogether. Besides, Lukas is being really stupid in their responses even with their distributors unless of course the distributor wants to order more product, then Lukas "cares".

Well...let's see. Don't be surprised if Lukas isn't carried by many distributors in Canada.

My dealer already said to Lukas they will no longer be ordering units with GPS. If they continue to have issues with Lukas quality and reliability, they might drop them altogether. Besides, Lukas is being really stupid in their responses even with their distributors unless of course the distributor wants to order more product, then Lukas "cares".

We need a Canadian high quality dashcam manufacturer to enter the market. Lukas makes good hardware and would have considerably better software if they went open source.

I am not so sure about Lukas making good hardware. My Lukas lens is made by Sony. I don't know who makes their GPS chip, but that chip really sucks. Personally, I don't think my Lukas software is bad. It's not great and it needs to be improved. The fact the firmware is updated frequently is a good thing. Their fragmented firmware updating needs a lot of work though.

I think it's Lukas technical department, support team, poorly trained employees, culture, vision, and management that are really at the root of many issues with Lukas products.

Part of my gripe is my buddy bought a Chinese dash cam on DX and for $99 it has more pixels, Wifi, LCD, charger, no GPS.
Lukas does have the worst (English) product manuals I have ever seen. So you don't get anything easier to use either way.

Part of my gripe is my buddy bought a Chinese dash cam on DX and for $99 it has more pixels, Wifi, LCD, charger, no GPS.
Lukas does have the worst (English) product manuals I have ever seen. So you don't get anything easier to use either way.

That SIV-M5 has Ambarella chip.
Doesn't say what but if it does 2560x1080p, it must be at least A7LA50.
It's very hard to beat video quality of Ambarella.

I was going to buy a second cam but Lukas prices have been climbing and I think just too much now.
Originally, I paid DHL air freight, Customs+Brokerage, exchange rate+GST. Now, you get free shipping and the Canadian Gov't I think has dropped tariffs due to a Free Trade Agreement with South Korea.
But prices seem high for a 2MP sensor and 24-30FPS, barely enough to figure out accidents.

I appreciate Lukas' high quality build and steady S/W updates. I can't justify buying a second one with competitor's offering much more value. Anyone else feel this way?

Hello Ken,

I can assure you that if it were possible we would sell Lukas at a lower price again. However as other have mentioned the lower Canada dollar makes Canadian Lukas MSRP higher then it use to be. As of April 14 2015 Lukas will has mandated the MSRP to its Canadian dealers.

Can I ask. What model are you interested in?
And are you looking to replace your current Lukas, or are you looking to purchase a additional Lukas?
We are currently working on a program to provide Lukas customers a special trade in- trade up deal.

The CDN dollar simply sucks now. Goods and services are approximately 30% more expensive due to the horrible exchange rate (thank you Mr. Harper). This cost has to be passed onto the consumers.

Back