Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Videos)

Re: Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Vide

adorfer said:
Al Drake said:
The time setting is done when the GPS is fixed. Do you see this in the viewer?
I assume from this setting dialogue there is no setting to have the gps-position (lat/lon values) as OSD in the video footage. correct?
correct

My guess is the manual time setting in the viewer was never implemented. I think once the GPS kicks in for the first time, it remembers the time even if you don't get a signal in succeeding uses, assuming you've set GMT correctly in the viewer.

Did anybody already crack this device open to see if it's feasable to put an (r)sma-jack for an external GPS antenna? For the GS1000 models it's quite easy.

(i suffer from a car with full metallic shielded sunblock coating on all windows, so practically no gps reception inside. cold start for any device, even modern garmin ones, 5-10 minutes, standing in an open area. and no fix it all when already driving the car.)

adorfer said:
(i suffer from a car with full metallic shielded sunblock coating on all windows, so practically no gps reception inside. cold start for any device, even modern garmin ones, 5-10 minutes, standing in an open area. and no fix it all when already driving the car.)

what vehicle do you have?

Can someone tel me:

What are the dimensions of the camera (I thought I read somewhere that it was more obtrusive than some others yet in the initial OP here it gave small size as a pro)?

Hiw many cables are plugged into it (clearly there is a power cable but is there alos a GPS cable)?

TIA

Cardigan said:
Can someone tel me:
What are the dimensions of the camera (I thought I read somewhere that it was more obtrusive than some others yet in the initial OP here it gave small size as a pro)?
Hiw many cables are plugged into it (clearly there is a power cable but is there alos a GPS cable)?
TIA
Here is a good forum post describing the device: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=515&start=20#p10134
The official dimensions are: 90mm x 70mm x 48mm.
Here is photo to show what they actually mean:
2334329_1_1363523954.jpg

So you have to decide if a circular object with a 70mm diameter (I assume the base dimension given is same as the camera diameter) and almost 50mm thick is small enough. I don't actually own this camera, just did a bunch of research when I was deciding which one to buy. Maybe some of the owners can share some real life feedback on how obtrusive it actually is. A slightly smaller device from Lukas would be the Lukas LK-7300G (click on the link and zoom into the first picture). I think that model would be more discrete, but I'm not sure if the video quality is on par with the 7900.
The GPS is built into the camera, so the only cable sticking out is power, and if you need it - video-out on the opposite side. Here is pic of it mounted where you can see the power cable on the far side, and the empty video-out port facing you:
2337903_1_1363948274.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I installed mine last night and snapped some pics with my iphone coming into work - I'm loving the camera and its features - i played with it last night, updated it to AC 19 firmware, and have what I think is a good setup..

The camera is barely visible to the driver (hidden by the rear view mirror) and pretty well hidden from the exterior unless your looking for it..

IMG_0603 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0604 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0605 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0606 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0607 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0608 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0614 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

IMG_0618 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

Very smart and lovely muscle car :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The car is cool, no doubt. But the cam is not placed very discrete. Can be easily seen from outside. Not your fault though: the usually used black doted area is really small in your car, so I guess you did the best you could. Also, if the clear plastic holder would've been black, there would be less shine that gives away the mounting point. :roll:

True, I agree, you may try to relocate all the way to the top in that green grey tinted Auto manufacturer black dot area, if it to sticky, you may brake it, what I also do with mine I buy a suction cup (similar to those for Garmin GPS) and I use black tiny Zip ties so i attach t-holder of the Lukas directly to the third party suction cup and than attach it to the windshield, in this case it could be relocated without worrying what to do in a year or two when times come to switch cars or something and 3-M tape is always in original packing, never used them and suction cup holds it firmly.

You can use any:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L4USHM/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_2

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z56BZA/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Cable-Tie ... pd_sim_e_6

ciuvak said:
The car is cool, no doubt. But the cam is not placed very discrete. Can be easily seen from outside. Not your fault though: the usually used black doted area is really small in your car, so I guess you did the best you could. Also, if the clear plastic holder would've been black, there would be less shine that gives away the mounting point. :roll:

Thanks - I considered adhering it to that area but 3M's VHB bonding tape is STRONG stuff and didnt want to cause damage to the third visor when I have to remove it.. anyone have experience removing VHB from that area?

I'm thinking that partially coating the mount in Plastidip (or something similar) would help hide the mount

rollindts said:
ciuvak said:

Thanks - I considered adhering it to that area but 3M's VHB bonding tape is STRONG stuff and didnt want to cause damage to the third visor when I have to remove it.. anyone have experience removing VHB from that area?

I'm thinking that partially coating the mount in Plastidip (or something similar) would help hide the mount

Try this:

http://www.shop3m.com/70006429925.html? ... 4AodeiIA5g

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

jokiin said:
adorfer said:
what vehicle do you have?
It's an Opel/Vauxhall with "total sun reflect" option. I have 3 external GPX-Antenna in additional modified "shark type" antenna on the roof, with cables wired to the dashboard. So i can hook up PNA Satnav and other devices.

rollindts said:
ciuvak said:

I guess you'd have to mask the part where the camera goes in. I was thinking the sane last night and looking at the plastidip site (would you use the aerosol type?).

Share some photos if you do it :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

rollindts said:
ciuvak said:

removed a few mounts from that area. not left a single mark. even took a window scraper to it and it does nothing. :D

What about sticking a piece of matt black plastic to the windshield first and then the clear mount to that, would that hide the clear mount?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,
I like the price of the above link to the 3M tape :D I will order 3 of them. :eek: :mrgreen:

I just posted this on the other thread to.
USA law, it is illegal to record somebody's voice on private property without them knowing it.
If you need evidence to submit to the police, remove the voice first from the recording. In public no problem to record voice and video.
I have my car parked in my driveway most of the time and recording (64GB SD card $40.-) connected to an extra marine battery in my trunk. Voice recording disabled.

george55321 said:
Hi,
I like the price of the above link to the 3M tape :D I will order 3 of them. :eek: :mrgreen:

I just posted this on the other thread to.
USA law, it is illegal to record somebody's voice on private property without them knowing it.
If you need evidence to submit to the police, remove the voice first from the recording. In public no problem to record voice and video.
I have my car parked in my driveway most of the time and recording (64GB SD card $40.-) connected to an extra marine battery in my trunk. Voice recording disabled.

How about if you use sub titles? Closed caption? A mime signing? Flash cards? Pig latten? :lol:

Added photos of how I set it up.

Swordfish said:
Added photos of how I set it up.
Excellent thanks.

Back