Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Videos)

Re: Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Vide

everglades said:
My second attempt at the same video. I think I used the words "Good ol' USA" too many times though, lol. Anyway, I hope these two videos have a vetter demonstration of the video quality that comes with this camera. I am extremely happy with my purchase. ps - The "Soviet areas" do not exist anymore..." :roll:

Nice video and thanks for posting. I agree that this camera is by far the best on the market. One feature I thought would be nice having is a range finder indicator as it's hard to make an accurate comparison of just how close a vehicle can be. With the camera mounted much closer then the driver sits it can be deceiving. I have one mounted in my rear window and while watching in my rear view mirror it looks like the driver behind me isn't as close as he really is on the camera as it allows me so see the plate while no so looking in the mirror. I recently had a driver force me into the median and on the grass but in play back it didn't look nearly as bad as it was. Not a real indication if I had to show it to the police as proof I had no other option but to drive out of the high speed lane. In cases like this I think it's good to have the camera is plane sight and noticeable to others on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you! I am quite happy with this unit and I look forward to uploading so solid night driving video very soon. I also love your idea of the vicinity indicator ability. It may be difficult to tune depending on where one mounts the camera but even if the distance was measured in a general sense it could certainly help determine if someone is at fault or not.

Hi guys, totally new to the forum. I found this post with some googlefu, excellent review.

One thing I'm really not understanding, for the optional 'power safety device' there are three versions. The first appears to have a female cig lighter socket (which the default power adapter would fit into), is that correct?

If so, why would anyone want to use that option versus the "B", a direct wired jack to the camera.

I must be missing something, as it doesn't make any sense to want to continue running with the default cig adapter <> into a female cig socket when you could just run directly from the power safety device to the camera via the small power jack.

I have the "c" option with 2 female cigarette lighter sockets (Lukas LK-290-12/24VT Power Cable option C)

The power cable/safety device doesn't have to be used with the dash cam or only for the dash cam. You could use it for anything with a cigarette lighter jack provided you don't exceed it's amp rating. A cigarette lighter jack isn't a bad connection (although not as good as direct wire in the long term), just a bit bulky.

Quick said:
I have the "c" option with 2 female cigarette lighter sockets (Lukas LK-290-12/24VT Power Cable option C)

The power cable/safety device doesn't have to be used with the dash cam or only for the dash cam. You could use it for anything with a cigarette lighter jack provided you don't exceed it's amp rating. A cigarette lighter jack isn't a bad connection (although not as good as direct wire in the long term), just a bit bulky.

I use my lighter socket for two cameras, a GPS and a 7" monitor with never a volt/current problem. A lot less a problem than some butt smoker using the ash tray all the time.

Hey Mr Drake who are you calling a Butt smoker :mrgreen: A cigarette has never passed my lips......Nice to see you about Al Ac29 and Viewer 1.8.2.0 are in the pipe line I have the honour of being chosen to test out the french language update to iron out any bugs........there should be six new languages in total. And like you AL I am running 2 cams GPS plus a galaxy tab 2 from the cigarette lighter with no problems at all.Regards to one and all......Ipol

Ipol said:
Hey Mr Drake who are you calling a Butt smoker :mrgreen: A cigarette has never passed my lips......Nice to see you about Al Ac29 and Viewer 1.8.2.0 are in the pipe line I have the honour of being chosen to test out the french language update to iron out any bugs........there should be six new languages in total. And like you AL I am running 2 cams GPS plus a galaxy tab 2 from the cigarette lighter with no problems at all.Regards to one and all......Ipol

Good day Ipol. I wasn't referring to you or anyone specifically. Just remembering being in some friends cars back when......I never smoked or drank either and expect to be around a long time due to good choices. I'm sure you will be right there also.
I have been thinking how nice it would be to see a viewer that accommodated two cameras with a split screen with the rear and the front viewable together. I have some nice video editing software I purchased from CyborLink some time ago and keep upgrades for most of there products installed. I can produce the effect I want but most probable would like to see it in a LUKAS application. Even if they had a separate app for this I would purchase it and think it would be fantastic. It's real nice to see the cars pass you without losing sight. You need to have one view on top and use a wide screen setting. It looks almost like a video game. I would also like to see picture in picture showing the GPS view that is optional and movable. (Fantasizing the screen built into the dash the length of the whole front.) Currently my external monitor is switchable. Most of the time I am viewing the cars as they approach from the rear. I don't even use the rear view mirror any more. My 7" GPS set in portrait mode shows where I'm going. I no longer understand why anyone would use a GPS set to wide screen.

@ Al Drake No I didnt think you were referring to anyone on the forum just my english sense of humour working overtime again (warped springs to mind) you have some nice ideas for future dashcam installations who knows maybe one day. Yes a non smoker cant say I dont have a drink though a nice glass of red wine goes down well in the evening hopefully thats my only vice :roll: Just uploading video footage to dropbox to send to lukas running the Ac29 and viewer 1.8.2.0 I think they might have some fine tuning to do before it is ready for release though. regards Ipol.

@ Al Drake forgot to mention I left a post for you in the off topic section regarding your person search not sure if the suggestions will help or not.......hope so.....Ipol

Hi

I have just bought my LK-7900 and was wondering if you can use either a mobile phone or tablet as a video viewer so as to position the camera in place. I was looking at using my HTC one XL phone or my Nexus 7 any ideas on leads needed

Cheers

Jimbo

hey guys

just about to buy an LK-7900 myself but what puzzles me is there is this power device on some ebay sites as included

The lukas lk-290-12/24vt power cable

now from lukas website and image can someone confirm that this needs to be hardwired??
I don't see where the output for it is to be attached to the cam itself

thanks !

hey guys

just about to buy an LK-7900 myself but what puzzles me is there is this power device on some ebay sites as included

The lukas lk-290-12/24vt power cable

now from lukas website and image can someone confirm that this needs to be hardwired??
I don't see where the output for it is to be attached to the cam itself

thanks !
I think it needs to be hardwired. It also has a regular cigarette socket where you plug the camera.

Hi, I have the lukas LK-7900g. My dash cam keeps going into event mode when I turn corners, is there anyway to turn down the sensitivity. I just want to record in always mode.
Cheers Steve

@kempgsxr you should be able to adjust the sensitivity in the lukas viewer or switch the option off altogether Just save the changes as you make them and format the SD card with the viewer....Ipol ....My 7900 ace is now at my daughters as I have a 9750 duo now .....I deleted the ace viewer from my PC

Back