Lukas LK-7900 video quality? - sample videos

cbamity

Reaction score
Country
United States
See below for a link to 2 sample videos with my LK-7900. I am thinking that there is something wrong with my camera, because the quality of the video is not as good as the few others I have seen. In fact, license plates are illegible unless very very close (like at a stop light), even in daylight. Early in the second video (the one with overcast sky) I get pretty close to a red Mercedes who comes to a near stop. Note that the license plate cannot be discerned. The second video (overcast one) is taken with no filters, and default image settings.

Am I right to think that there is something wrong? Lukas is in the process of evaluating the videos (communicating through the ebay seller green-sum).

Keep in mind that you'll have to change the video quality to 1080p or download to get accurate video quality:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
You can read the one at 2:00 . Looks the same quality as mine.

1st video looks very strange with the sun - not sure why?
2nd video looks ok

us plates are harder to read, in the uk, my lukas captures oncoming car plates at 30mph

I agree with jamesbcd english plates like french number plates are easier to read if you freeze the frame the video some of the plates are clearer, also the angle might play a part......are either of you having trip mileage issues mine shows several times the total distance travelled in both MPH and Km. Its an ongoing problem that Lukas are still trying to solve.Looking forward to a european release of the Lukas lk7500 FHD REAL it seems to have much the same specs as the 7900 but can be connected to the OBD2 port in the car. I emailed Lukas yesterday to enquire as to when we might see its release looking at some videos its seems to be quite popular in south korea....regards Ipol

Quick said:
You can read the one at 2:00 . Looks the same quality as mine.

I'm a bit disappointed if this is it. The car at 2:00 is about 8 feet away and perfectly still at a stop light in front of me and that is the best example of a descernible plate. The Mercedes at 0:12 seconds is probably 12 feet away and barely moving and I can't identify a single letter or number. The sunny video seems even worse given the clear conditions, and everything is blurry.
Thanks for the feedback. I will see what Lukas says and update if necessary.

@ chamity dont give up hope it could be a number of things.....settings .....smeary lens...dirty windscreen the filter... etc....I am sure other forum users will give you support and advice.For my own camera issues IE the in-accurate trip meter I received a reply from Lukas Qrontech about an hour ago they have sent me a pre-release AC27 firmware update and new viewer 1.8.0.0 people who know me know its like sticking my head in a lions mouth. BUT and its a big BUT hopefully I have got the hang of downloading and installing now. The new viewer installed fine I am off to the car to install the AC27 fingers crossed I have done everything right.....I will let everyone know but wont do a test run until tomorrow having drunk a glass or two of wine this afternoon. Lukas also kindly informed me that yes indeed Lukas cameras with OBD2 connection is soon to be available for the western hemisphere market...just a little time yet for them to get everything right. Regards to all Ipol....

Have you upgraded your firmware to version Ac25? Have you changed your settings? Are you using the UV lens or CPL filter?

I was going to upload my night video yesterday but after reviewing I discovered I had too much smoke film on my windshield to properly represent the video quality. The daytime videos are great but not my evening videos. I'm going out now to clean the windshield and hope to give it another go this evening.

Maybe you should up the setting on Sharpness? Also ensure that your using Quality 10 or 11 for full 1080p recording. I have my unit on all default settings for my two videos but I also have the latest firmware and the latest Lukas Ace viewer. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2289

Last edited by a moderator:
BOM - Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought the camera, and AC25 was already installed. Changing the settings doesn't seem to improve things much, and as I originally posted the overcast vid is set to the default settings, except I increased the quality to 11. The bright sunny vid, has slightly different settings, but I don't remember the details (I upped the sharpness and noise filter slightly I think). The sunny video had the UV filter already attached, and I removed that unecessary filter in case that was the problem for the overcast video. I did clean the inside of my windshield prior to installing, so that shouldn't be the problem. I have not touched the lens, but I will check the lens to make sure that it wasn't sent to me with a smudge on it. thanks

I hope this isn't too obvious to state, but when I received my 7900 I noticed there was a protective plastic film on the lens cover. I wonder if it is still on.

MexiCanuck said:
I hope this isn't too obvious to state, but when I received my 7900 I noticed there was a protective plastic film on the lens cover. I wonder if it is still on.

No one's ever left it on before :lol:

I just want people to be aware that youtube does compress your videos quite a bit. When I open the raw files on my PC, the picture is much, MUCH clearer. I can definitely read license plates from several car lengths away.

Allenmn85,

Could you upload a video to Dropbox? I would like to see how yours compares to mine. I just installed mine and plates are only readable if the car in front of me is stopped within 10 feet.

Thanks,

Jeff

Very similar results on my 7200. Not pleased at all with video quality so far.

Back