Lukas LK-7950WD - any reviews?

Witchcraftz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking at this model, just curious if anyone has tested it? Seems like it's perfect for my use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UYHP1SK

DUAL FHD
DUAL MEMORY
DUAL BAND (GPS + GLONASS)
DUAL LED
DUAL BOOTING
DUAL OS
DUAL LANGUAGE MANUAL

The Wi-Fi connectivity of the Lukas LK-7950 WD allows for quick and easy access of Real-Time footage directly from your smartphone. Various OS and iOS smart devices supported.

Sounds like marketing went a little crazy with the dual stuff. Dual booting? What, does it run windows and Linux? Dual dual dual... Makes me skeptical of the actual product even though Lukas has a good reputation.

A few of us on here have these - feature wise they're very rich indeed - they're just lacking in the overall video quality due to the low bitrate they use (average 7Mbps). They are good are detail retrieval though which to be honest is a critical thing in a dashcam. Saying that the back camera is excellent at just 5Mbps and handles privacy glass better than anything I've used yet as it has an option specifically for it.

To be honest they do the job - they have a fast exposure time for detail capture, but there are other cameras out there which have better overall video quality but lack certain features like the WiFi.

I've just looked at the footage on Fi07 and to be honest it's still rough around the edges but with work it can hopefully be improved. Image quality hasn't changed from Fi05 to Fi07 though. I'm going to do a comparison to the X2 which is similar later.

To try and cover how I understand it:

DUAL FHD - ie two Full HD (1920x1080) cameras both using the Sony Exmor IMX322 sensor
DUAL MEMORY - ie it uses one full size SD and one microSD. The full size card is for normal video as you're driving from both cameras and the motion video from parking mode. The microSD card is just for event footage.
DUAL BAND (GPS + GLONASS) - ie it works worldwide on the American and Russian positioning systems.
DUAL LED - both cameras have an LED (which you can turn off).
DUAL BOOTING - I don't really understand this - the official blurb says "only one and unique function in Korea, allowing multiple booting operation by itself with added driver convenience". Maybe it means that it supports parking mode and automatically turns on with the car?
DUAL OS - this means it works with Mac and Windows - unfortunately it doesn't mean the camera runs Android :p
DUAL LANGUAGE MANUAL - this means there's a Korean and English manual (along with other languages)

Thread wise I've got a lot of info going into this one while I'm doing initial hands on:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...nnel-ti-sony-imx322-dashcam-with-wi-fi.10212/

And Sunny has started his review here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...al-1080p-front-and-rear-dashcam-review.10300/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at this model, just curious if anyone has tested it? Seems like it's perfect for my use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UYHP1SK

DUAL FHD
DUAL MEMORY
DUAL BAND (GPS + GLONASS)
DUAL LED
DUAL BOOTING
DUAL OS
DUAL LANGUAGE MANUAL

The Wi-Fi connectivity of the Lukas LK-7950 WD allows for quick and easy access of Real-Time footage directly from your smartphone. Various OS and iOS smart devices supported.

As @reverend mentioned above, here's my thread on this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...al-1080p-front-and-rear-dashcam-review.10300/
and on how to install and use the Android app:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-and-instruction-for-lk-7950wd-dashcam.10315/

It's very convenient to use with the wifi and real-time streaming of front or rear camera to smartphone.
Lot's of settings to change to liking.
Rear camera is very discrete while the front is pretty big in comparison.
Also, no power cable connection needed for rear camera as it gets that from the front camera.

Sounds like marketing went a little crazy with the dual stuff. Dual booting? What, does it run windows and Linux? Dual dual dual... Makes me skeptical of the actual product even though Lukas has a good reputation.
Not sure about dual booting thingy...
Dual OS maybe for Mac and Windows for the viewer. :confused:
Manual doesn't explain these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just about sold.

Features I would wish for:

Lane Departure Warning
Collision Warning
See the rear camera feed in the front LCD (of my Navigation system).

Last edited:
The 7950 doesn't have a screen at all - you'd need to look at the 9750 as you just get an old school display with a few characters on it on the 7950.

As for the lane departure and collision warning stuff so far that's limited to the Ambarella based cameras only - the Lukas cameras are TI from what I've seen and read so far.

also lane departure on a dashcam is a gimmick. because it doesn't know when you're using your turn signal, it will yell at you any time you change lanes or make a turn.

collision warning is equally gimmicky. by the time it warns you, it's too late. best to rely on factory built collision avoidance that can actually press the brakes for you.

Oops, edited to replace missing sentence.

I agree that perhaps the lane/collision systems on the dash cam will never be great, but for people (90% of cars don;'t have it?) who don't have such systems from the factory it's better than nothing at all. :)

Makes sense, hadn't thought of some of the issues with the system. Perhaps LDW should only warn you when you cross a solid line (ie you are going off the road)?
But the collision part seems like it would still be a good idea.

Does this have a button to save a recording of the last 30 sec+30 sec forward?

Is there anyone who has successfully mated wifi of their dash cam to their indash nav system? I know some run on android so curious.

Last edited:
Does this have a button to save a recording of the last 30 sec+30 sec forward?
It has a button to save events/incidents.
It saves 10 secs before and 20 secs after the even to make a 30 secs video clip in microSD card.

my wish for a wifi system would be for the DVR to automatically upload event files to my home server when it sees the home wifi, and maybe the last X number of minutes of normal driving and parking video as well.

my wish for a wifi system would be for the DVR to automatically upload event files to my home server when it sees the home wifi, and maybe the last X number of minutes of normal driving and parking video as well.
Yes, that'd be nice.
It creates it's own access point for now where you can connect to with your smartphone via Lukas app.
Think of it as a wifi router not a device that connects to other wifi like home/office.
What you are thinking is exactly opposite of how wifi works on this, it lets your home device to connect to it instead of the other way around.

I will check if files can be downloaded using 'Lukas Viewer' from desktop instead of just the phone app. I think it can.

Last edited:
Yes, that'd be nice.
It creates it's own access point for now where you can connect to with your smartphone via Lukas app.
Think of it as a wifi router not a device that connects to other wifi like home/office.
What you are thinking is exactly opposite of how wifi works on this, it lets your home device to connect to it instead of the other way around.

I will check if files can be downloaded using 'Lukas Viewer' from desktop instead of just the phone app. I think it can.
that's kinda what i figured (it's like a wifi base station) since that's what most users are used to using. but if it could be made to auto-connect to a given wifi network whenever in range (and act as a wifi client rather than a host) then make its files available, i could script something to just grab what i wanted.

granted, i'm not most users. obviously. how many people run a commercial-grade server in their home? i've got a retired Dell Poweredge R710 from work, and the bulk of its ~3TB of disk isn't being used right now... could easily archive dashcam footage if only the cams would talk to the server. It could even make the CF-100 (if it had wifi) and its parking mode act like a basic CCTV system, since one of its cameras will always be pointing at the street.

Thank God it's not just me - I've got ten rack mount servers at home for various labs and stuff plus a couple of little HP Microservers for things like 2012 R2 AD, VDI and all my dodgy auto downloaders scripts :)

I want to flatten and rebuild a load of it at some point.

The WiFi cams usually can be amended - I need to do a full penetration test of the Lukas - did the Yi last night and got full root shell on there!

(and act as a wifi client rather than a host)
Not a replacement but addition.
It has to act as a host to access files from phones/tablets when you are driving or outside home wifi range so host needs to be there, just need to add client part as well and that'll be hardware upgrade.

Thank God it's not just me - I've got ten rack mount servers at home for various labs and stuff plus a couple of little HP Microservers for things like 2012 R2 AD, VDI and all my dodgy auto downloaders scripts :)

I want to flatten and rebuild a load of it at some point.

The WiFi cams usually can be amended - I need to do a full penetration test of the Lukas - did the Yi last night and got full root shell on there!
What's up with this?
Are all dashcam reviewers geeks? Me included, although not much into hardware... ;)

What's up with this?
Are all dashcam reviewers geeks? Me included, although not much into hardware... ;)
Apparently, though I've only put together one review video myself. Have you seen some of Techmoan's other videos? He's reviewed all sorts of odd gadgets, such as the different digital audio cassette formats, a vertical turntable, and various other HiFi gear, and even some kitchen gizmos if i remember right!

I've only got the one 2u box in the garage currently in service (also have an older poweredge 2950 that's slower and loud as hell but not being used anymore). I intend to put a few VMs on the R710 in the not too distant future for testing. virtualization's fun and fairly easy as long as you've got enough RAM. 2012r2's disk deduplication works wonders when you've got multiple guests running the same OS.

sorry for the thread-jack.. guess we should get back on topic. :p

So comparing the following which is the best price/quality/size/functionality?

Cowon AW2
Blackvue 650
Blackvue 750
Lukas 7950
Lukas 9350
Lukas 9750
Panorama X2

So comparing the following which is the best price/quality/size/functionality?

Cowon AW2
Blackvue 650
Blackvue 750
Lukas 7950
Lukas 9350
Lukas 9750
Panorama X2
It'll be hard to find someone who has all those to compare.

Back