M2 Discussion

There are several beta testers here (I'm not one) who have already posted much about this cam in this thread ;)

The M2's development seems to have stalled long before it reached even a 'fairly decent' status, and the dearth of new posts here is only because of Mobius backing away from the issues instead of working to address them. Two of the engineers who were working on the M2 have left the company and an industry insider has reported that Mobius is working on another cam which seems like it will be a replacement for the failed M2. Nothing new has been reported in quite a while :eek:

Now you're up to speed with the rest of us who had great hopes for what should have been a great cam but isn't :(

Phil

There are several beta testers here (I'm not one) who have already posted much about this cam in this thread ;)

The M2's development seems to have stalled long before it reached even a 'fairly decent' status, and the dearth of new posts here is only because of Mobius backing away from the issues instead of working to address them. Two of the engineers who were working on the M2 have left the company and an industry insider has reported that Mobius is working on another cam which seems like it will be a replacement for the failed M2. Nothing new has been reported in quite a while :eek:

Now you're up to speed with the rest of us who had great hopes for what should have been a great cam but isn't :(

Phil

Starting to look like JooVuu story?

Very much so unfortunately, but Mobius is finally doing something though it's probably not enough, or timely enough, to do dashcam users or their sales any good :oops:

I don't speak much about my rotten JooVuu experience but the parallels between these two cams are many and it's clear that Mobius either didn't see or didn't learn from the JooVuu scandal :( And then I look at Viofo who was an unknown a couple years ago but now has success with the A119 after and equally problematic start :) There's something to be learned here. There is a path to success and a path to failure, and the path one takes is their own choice :whistle:

Mobius should take whatever is good here, then throw the rest into the garbage and start over with a cam they can succeed with.

Phil

Very much so unfortunately, but Mobius is finally doing something though it's probably not enough, or timely enough, to do dashcam users or their sales any good :oops:

I don't speak much about my rotten JooVuu experience but the parallels between these two cams are many and it's clear that Mobius either didn't see or didn't learn from the JooVuu scandal :( And then I look at Viofo who was an unknown a couple years ago but now has success with the A119 after and equally problematic start :) There's something to be learned here. There is a path to success and a path to failure, and the path one takes is their own choice :whistle:

Mobius should take whatever is good here, then throw the rest into the garbage and start over with a cam they can succeed with.

Phil

Yeah, glad I took the A119S, I'm a happy peppy now!

Although the X still works, albeit with a new (Mobius!) battery I installed with the X's connector/wire, the superc(r)ap :ROFLMAO: never worked for me. Always losing time/date.....

Here's a collection of video clips and sample frames, comparing the new FW2.14 to the previous FW2.08.

Both cameras have the same base settings:
H264, VBR, Highest data rate, Centre-weighted metering, Bright priority, Cool colour, Auto WB
All videos are encoded at 1080/30fps, for my convenience!

1080/30 WDR off, night
pVg3Hsp.jpg

1080/30 WDR on, night
vhwXyte.jpg

1080/60 WDR on, night
QnHV09m.jpg

1080/30 WDR off, day
bzeqyGT.jpg

1080/60 WDR off, day
Ne5TA5I.jpg

1080/30 WDR on, day
oRW2S7V.jpg

1080/60 WDR on, day
MdQV3dT.jpg

oh, come on.
Mobius 1 was a breaktrough, people expect too much now. These things do not happen every few year. And mobius is/was a jack of all trades, whereas Viofos are dedicated dashcam only.

I have also replaced my mobiuses for dashcams with viofos, but because I prefer (now) to have dedicated dashcams which have good video quality/dimensions/price ratio.

I'd have ended up replacing mobius anyway even if their quality would have improved just because wedge shaped cameras are more stealth and they have a screen too (and gps + crash sensor).

It seems there is a new mobius camera "in the baking" as tom frank and others have suggested. Let's see what's coming out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera I own?: Viofo A119V2 A118C, DOD L500, 808#23, Mobius 1 (x3), Mobius mini, GP3, Yi Action Camera, Xiaomi Mijia Sphere 360
Wishlist: Gitup F1, Yi4k+, Sony X3000, GP6,

oh, come on.
Mobius 1 was a breaktrough, people expect too much now. These things do not happen every few year. And mobius is/was a jack of all trades, whereas Viofos are dedicated dashcam only.

I have also replaced my mobiuses for dashcams with viofos, but because I prefer (now) to have dedicated dashcams which have good video quality/dimensions/price ratio.

I'd have ended up replacing mobius anyway even if their quality would have improved just because wedge shaped cameras are more stealth and they have a screen too (and gps + crash sensor).

It seems there is a new mobius camera "in the baking" as tom frank and others have suggested. Let's see what's coming out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera I own?: Viofo A119V2 A118C, DOD L500, 808#23, Mobius 1 (x3), Mobius mini, GP3, Yi Action Camera, Xiaomi Mijia Sphere 360
Wishlist: Gitup F1, Yi4k+, Sony X3000, GP6,

We can say "oh come on" as much as we like, but, as far as I can see, if at all, the Mobius 2 night video quality isn't even better than the Mobius 1, so that being said, of course the A119 is dash cam designed only, but the reason why people use(d) mobius 1 is the stealthy look from outside, the good overall image quality and it's reliabillity, as (still) do I, for dash cam use. So if you buy the successor, you NATUALLY expect better video image quality, as that is the MAIN aspect of the camera.

Let me be clear, I do NOT have the Mobius 2, I just look what comes up in online samples, and so far I am not impressed.

We do not expect too much if the trend is going up in recording image quality, the competition does it, so why not expect that from our beloved preferred Mobius? I know I do.

Sorry Matt.

It is interesting to see what the Mobius team comes up with next, I know I'm following it!

I agree, it's indeed too little and too late.

Even though warned, I got sucked in mostly due to my own presumptions on how development would go once HDR was dropped. But that was a year back and the latest firmware though showing promise, still looks inferior to the M1.

Had bough the M2 a year back to replace my M1 in the rear. Then the A119S came long, even though not as discreet for a rear install, I'm quite happy with it for the rear.

Last edited:
Well, I have not bought the M2 when it came out and I have had no plan do it later though, it did not appease me then and (of course) even less now.
On the other hand I immediately ordered the Mini (it was like order No.2 on ebay).
M2 had a very long development cycle and probably was a bad project (too complicated to develop) from the start and now it makes no sense to keep developing on such an hw.
I only see a mobius form factor camera useful when travelling like on a rental car on a suction cup, doubling it as an action camera.
For "permanent" dahscam use on my own car, wedge shaped or else are the way to go.
S

Well, I have not bought the M2 when it came out and I have had no plan do it later though, it did not appease me then and (of course) even less now.
On the other hand I immediately ordered the Mini (it was like order No.2 on ebay).
M2 had a very long development cycle and probably was a bad project (too complicated to develop) from the start and now it makes no sense to keep developing on such an hw.
I only see a mobius form factor camera useful when travelling like on a rental car on a suction cup, doubling it as an action camera.
For "permanent" dahscam use on my own car, wedge shaped or else are the way to go.
S

Yeah I get that, I use the matchbox type (Mobius and JooVuu) for work (every day another truck) AND private car, but I also use the A119S for my hauling work, it's very easy to carry around, and quick install/uninstall with magnet mounting makes it easy for me.

Do you use the Mini for dash cam also? I've always understood that it wasn't suitable for that?

nono, mini NOT suitable for dashcam.

Having modified my remaining X camera with the 12 mm lens, the M2 are my last camera in this form factor i like so much.
Put it on my hat last night for a walk with the a flashlight, ran into the police not sure if m2 or flashlight as to blame for their interest in me.

Having modified my remaining X camera with the 12 mm lens, the M2 are my last camera in this form factor i like so much.
Put it on my hat last night for a walk with the a flashlight, ran into the police not sure if m2 or flashlight as to blame for their interest in me.

So, you got away with it then..... Hahaha

Cool, I guess they were at the end of their shift eh, wanting to go home. If that were here in Netherlands I'd be staying a night over in the blue hotel....

cop-clipart-animated-20.gif

Actually i almost burned my fingers, when talking to them i say i am just out testing my new toy, and then i showed them the flashlight in the holster on my right hip, only problem is that's also where i carry my EDC pocket knife but on a deep carry clip, but the clip are chrome so easy to see.
Guess they dident see it though there was fine light on the spot for human eyes at least :D so maybe i got lucky.
They did ask me if i was a burglar, i said no :rolleyes: those kind of people dont carry this level of light power, for them its as little light as possible, and this MF02 if the kind that if you put it down for a while within a couple of feet of something flammable it can set it on fire after a little while.

Walking with a light is recommended be the Police here. Our drunks don't know how to avoid driving on sidewalks so you need all the help you can get :rolleyes::p

My new Q8 flashlight got turned on accidentally and started charring cardboard a few cm from the lens with it's beam :D I keep it locked out now. If Kamkar1 has his Q8 instead, the Cops would probably have taken him in for using a deadly weapon :ROFLMAO: The Q8 is a monster of a flashlight!

Phil

Hehe i have flashed the police station with the strobe one night, did bring one person to the window.
And yes better keep that Q8 locked down good, the MF02 weigh in like 2 x Q8, battery count are the same ( 4 ) but size wise the Q8 are small.
byawZNCsbAs5egyOcTNcaKb0qjjubMuu6npdPn2geehnRjnof-7Xs__0G4viAyaMlwBTBJ1hyHIy68tK0XYAOH6lZY51yp1D_hvYcOWP64Vth7a-_ARETiYAnLkE93laOHyJWxuMnsX4IKGlA3roffpVhmfgN0RoOR-K1M3KD-9ZoMBLjc9_Qq8WOqjunkcoKT9DrMvgonGQYGC6vCOfwnTOv1HGAXiqkVzTz87Z32Ubu69QdzffBHrjqJhArQPrfYq1jqXCcmYKeXHqM9BTDcwPnDXpNzwbOJ5KpfvaSpgOSwQ-rTahiCHbB3OnqzBcWViiApjsnQNpguf4wArzyjSsNVA8fTl3IdtcUw0_K5f7Bzmh4XPXmJh1HU7RYPpvtzlePsiQslnugZfk0h98aUyvpQJ0UtosJ-2ZmxhmjRyrI54N9JlCvZGSu9GE3Yyc5xj5AzwtVxe3WEnQ7alup6prmWGCGXmA66-51DtVpnKsfKDnT6ZuuILD52r5CL4jy51DmhvgZt3asjo-x2pEzt6vgXthAnLshiHW0XUJWneFxz7c2KhmxtkdKOxt3S2SQuQcy2XfwvwCOhN-nxfjuwFKlZL7iFPORcmZzaZTwg=w1248-h936-no

Do you guys know if the Mobius 2 has the same focusing issues like the Mobius 1?

Every few month the Mobius 1 looses it's focus and I have big troubles all the time trying to manually refocus it.

Back