M2 footage dash and action

MPlayerX doesn't work for me. The strange thing is that H.265 files downloaded off the internet (the magnetized ones) work fine even with VLC but the raw files shared by Kamkar1 don't work either with VLC or MPX.

Hey, those files are from @kamkar1, what do you expect? :D

Seriously, though, if I shoot video in H.265 on my Mobius 2 I can view them easily with MPlayerX but VLC has problems with those same files.

It's the hardware then.. everything else works great though..

MD101's have been permanently discontinued. I'll just have to pick from the new ones.

My recording from today is H264, put H265 on the back burner if its something i have to share in RAW format.

I have one of your 1080p 60 H.265 files downloaded, that's the one I've tried playing with different players. I'm going to save it to a flash drive a carry it to the Apple store on Monday for a spin on the displayed MB's before making any decisions.

Only if the Windows based offerings had improved on their trackpads (no brand can hold a candle to the Mac's Trackpad IMO), I could have thought of going back since the whole start menu disappearing act by Microsoft; post Windows 7.

The 60 FPS daylight footage is 29821kbps ( 639 MB / 3 minutes / standart bitrate ) - the 1080/30 is just 11223kbps. ( 240 MB / 3minutes / low bitrate )

Night time ( using VBR ) is 27720 for the 60 FPS footage ( 552 MB / 2 min 45 sec ) and 11230 for the 30 FPS footage. ( 221 MB / 2 min 45 sec )

It would appear like VBR is not working

I just noticed the low bitrate for mode #2, dunno why its set there and not standard :rolleyes: some old dumb ass properly been in a hurry when he did it. :oops:

BTW i also had motion detect on for today, worked just fine, camera record 3 minute files when moving, if i stop it time out after 1 minute and go into standby.
Seen to react pretty normal ( in normal mode ) on regular sized objects, even reflections in shop window triggered a couple of recordings while i was shopping.

Im just using the goo old windows media player, and registrator viewer if i have to grab a frame or just i little bit of a file and not change format.

Also have VLC player in the backhand, but its not often i use it.

The vids looked pretty good to me. Would y'all say they're at least equal to Mobius1 now? Seems to me they are, just wanting some opinions from more experienced (and likely better) eyes.

Phil

the results look a lot better than the release firmware, probably needs more evaluation but it's at least looking like a workable option now

So here's my daytime 1080p60 M2 video without WDR, on the latest firmware.

Side-by-side with the GC at 1080p30. WDR off on both cameras. M2 is on the top.

Last edited:
Daytime M2 1080p60 with WDR.

And a side-by-side with the GC at 1080p30, both using WDR. M2 is on top.

which appears better can vary throughout, no camera will get the best shot of every frame of every recording

There's no argument there. However, there's no other way to compare except with the supplied stills. I'm sure Kamkar1 could supply every single frame from both cams but are we really going to sit through each of hundreds of frames as a forum, deciding which pairs are best and then average them to find the winner, because that or watching the video (which I would suggest will still have the same variation frame to frame) is the only option.

Comparing the supplied stills might not be perfect, but it should at least be some reflection of the visible quality at that moment and certainly if there were a larger difference I think it would be possible to say with more authority which was the winner.

The way I actually view the results is in progression. Kamkar1 has the latest Mobius M2 and the older Street Guardian, however, I can personally see almost no difference between them, which to me means the Mobius disappoints as it appears to offer little to no gain over (some of the) existing cams.

I think Tony M's video above confirms this in daylight conditions as between the 2 video side by side clips, the only difference I can see is in colour balance. I'm, not seeing a clear winner in terms of clarity, sharpness or the ability to read number plates or signs further out. For me to want to buy a cam such as the Mobius M2 or any other brand new cam for that reason, I want to see something way above the quality of what I might already have. Otherwise what is the point? Why spend not insignificant sums of money (depending on the cam) on a new cam that offers little to nothing over any existing model you might have? All you're buying in that case is a shiny new cardboard box (that you throw away) and an hours hassle trying to wire in and fit it!

Just my opinion though.

Yeah there's no compelling reason to upgrade, it's more about seeing where things are at if you're in the market for a product, this latest firmware for the M2 is certainly a healthy step in the right direction compared to the release version, even the M1 was putting it to shame which was unexpected really considering how long the M2 had been in development and the track record of the previous models

Yeah there's no compelling reason to upgrade,

So, do you mean (still) no need to buy M2 (even now that there is the new FW 2.0x)?

Night recordings seems pretty good now? Or not? Did I miss anything?

The M2 is now the best performing camera in my car when it come down to brightness of footage at night.
Today i will rerun my tests from yesterday but have the 1080/30 mode #2 set to standard bitrate now, and today i will try to get some open road footage in too with just the light off my headlights.

If only the M2 had a timed mode change like the X camera i would turn that on and have it change automatic from 1080/60 in the daytime to 1080/30 when the sun set, but for now i will just have to do that manually and thats okay too as the only problem is remembering to do so.

Its not like the M2 have become ( finger snap ) fixed, but its better now thats for sure, i am still a little apprehensive about recommending it for anyone that do not have any other camera.
But its all footage related, i have not even seen it not starting to record or have other major failures.

Last edited:
... I can personally see almost no difference between them, which to me means the Mobius disappoints as it appears to offer little to no gain over (some of the) existing cams.
Disappointed that a £80 cam compares favourably with a £169 cam? So it needs to be half the price but with even better video quality to please you? Don't want much, do you? o_O

So, do you mean (still) no need to buy M2 (even now that there is the new FW 2.0x)?

Night recordings seems pretty good now? Or not? Did I miss anything?

no I meant for any camera, if you have a camera that performs well now there's no change in technology that gives a compelling reason to upgrade as there are only incremental differences, if you are in the market for a camera then it is another model to consider, it is certainly working a lot better now than it was on release firmware, it needs more evaluation to see how it measures up but the initial results are very promising

Then it's set- I'll be buying a M2 as soon as finances permit :D Not sure where it will go initially as I still need a passenger side cam, but I also want a second cam in front. Then there's my Ranger 'project truck' which isn't yet on the road, but when it is I'll need more cams for it, so there's going to be SG in my future somewhere too.

I don't know how it happened- I just needed one cheap but decent dashcam so I signed up here and now I can't seem to have enough of them :rolleyes:

Phil

Yeah the M2 is no game changer in the dashcam market, but in the small action camera market it will be a contender for sure.

People better get used to it, there will be no new super duper dashcam, only way that will happen is if you have no camera and then buy a really good camera.
But if you already have a good camera, then you really got to think hard if its worth it getting one of the new models.
Off course if you are nurturing a addiction to these cameras, then its much easier to make a decision.

Looking at my drive today it seem like the 1080/30 go grainy when the light start to fade ( left home when the sun was 3 fingers above the horizon )
At the same time the 1080/60 looked better just before i changed to 30 FPS while driving, and in the setting sun it looked as if 1080/30 overexposed the sky, but then again it is set to focus on the lower light.
I feel 1080/30 is still plagued by something i cant explain, in general i still think 60 FPS is better overall thru out the day, dont see the same graininess there.
Coming home tonight around 8 in the evening the M2 dident look anything special on the dark highways, but i have yet to put it alongside the footage from My 9665GC.

Last edited:
Well the game isn't over yet- the M2 is just started- that along with it being good enough at the present time is all I need to change my game to include M2 on my team.

Phil

Back