M2 footage dash and action

Lets see where the M2 is in a year when its as old as the X cam.

Im planning on moving my remaining x cam from my rear window to the windscreen for a little comparison of the 3 cameras.

With my luck that probably mean i will get rear ended again soon :rolleyes: but maybe the shop then match the color of my car better.

I was thinking of putting my M2 and M1 side-by-side again just for a few days of testing, although they're not the same fov. Running out of legal windscreen area for camera testing! New 5-port USB car hub arrived today to power all these cameras (another one coming this week ;))

Here rain is forecast for the next week, so i am in no hurry to get out there.
The windscreen get covered in goo in no time even if i am lucky to time my drive in a lull in the weather.

Right, well thanks for the honest info.

Euhm, seeing the results here with the M2 it still is nowhere near where I am with my JooVuu X cam then. So that's not the direction I want to go. Maybe A119..... that seems promising. SG's are a bit out of my budget I'm affraid. Sorry @jokiin .....
I don't have a Joovuu X, but based on all the (negative) posts on the Joovuu forum I would never buy one either! It appears they are very slowly getting things sorted, but it's only too obvious they released a totally immature product and everyone who bought one were being misused as true beta testers.
Remember the X was released more than a year ago, the M2 less than six months ago. The M2 has always operated reliably and has never had freeze-ups or has been bricked like the X. Whenever I read 'freeze' an alarm bell sounds telling me this could be a heat issue...
Personally, my first priority is for a camera I can rely on, and if you are honest, I don't think this applies to the X, at least this is the impression I get from all the complaints on the Joovuu forum.

I have not seen a comparison video which convinces me that the Joovuu X performs overall better than the M2. Such a comparison is also not easy since it's dependent on so many factors. The FOV also plays an important role, so you can't really compare cameras which don't have an identical, or at least very similar, lens. In some light situations one camera will almost certainly always perform better than the other. Also, one model may have it's lens slightly out of focus.
And the colors? The colors will never be the same. Some people like vibrant colors, others like to see the 'true' colors.
Low light videos? Some will have more grain than the other or not 'look' so nice, some will be brighter. What's more important? See the details or have a good looking picture. It all depends. For dash cam use the number plate readability is more important, I would think. A slightly narrower FOV will make all the difference, the shooting angle too.

The M2 certainly has many more 'advanced' tweaks than the X in it's current version, namely 3 custom WB controls, AEL, AWBL, 5 different Exposure Metering modes, and two Exposure Priority modes, for example.

The X is primarily designed as a dashcam, the M2 is designed for RC use as well as dashcam use. For the M2, simplicity, reliability and low power consumption are more important than GPS and WiFi. It's your choice as to which camera suits you best. Both have their strong points and their week points, but the M2 is certainly more flexible and certainly much easier to configure using mature PC and Android apps.

So, for me, the X is nowhere near to where the M2 is, even though the X has been available for so much longer ;). Two people, two completely different opinions. :)

Before the low light flickering issue, I recorded some daytime video with the M2 at 1080p60 and WDR enabled. Combining WDR with a high bitrate (42Mbps :eek:) the camera coped well with high contrast and rapidly changing brightness caused by tree shadows across the road. YouTube has preserved the exposure, but unfortunately shows lots of blocking that is not present in the recorded file. A direct copy 2min clip from the original (600Mb) is available to download from MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!OtwhnBYQ!KidCBPkeENQa4iK_jEA_zNlwJ2dpD6x3wUPDL8zq6EQ

M2 1080p60WDR

M2 1080p60WDR & SG GC 1080p30WDR
There is no CPL on either camera in these clips. I'm moving the M2 back to a more secure mounting position directly on the windscreen. In this clip it was attached to the rain sensor housing behind the RVM, but in the video I can see that it moves around quite a lot.

True some people seem to run into problems with the x camera, but mine have more or less worked just fine, with the only problems being the need to use a .elf file once in a while instead of the .bin for updating the camera.

The first prototype x camera i got is now "dead" mainly as the reset button in it have not worked for a long time, and it seem like now something in relation to updating it have choked it.
So i just put that one to the side.

I don't have a Joovuu X, but based on all the (negative) posts on the Joovuu forum I would never buy one either! It appears they are very slowly getting things sorted, but it's only too obvious they released a totally immature product and everyone who bought one were being misused as true beta testers.
Remember the X was released more than a year ago, the M2 less than six months ago. The M2 has always operated reliably and has never had freeze-ups or has been bricked like the X. Whenever I read 'freeze' an alarm bell sounds telling me this could be a heat issue...
Personally, my first priority is for a camera I can rely on, and if you are honest, I don't think this applies to the X, at least this is the impression I get from all the complaints on the Joovuu forum.

I have not seen a comparison video which convinces me that the Joovuu X performs overall better than the M2. Such a comparison is also not easy since it's dependent on so many factors. The FOV also plays an important role, so you can't really compare cameras which don't have an identical, or at least very similar, lens. In some light situations one camera will almost certainly always perform better than the other. Also, one model may have it's lens slightly out of focus.
And the colors? The colors will never be the same. Some people like vibrant colors, others like to see the 'true' colors.
Low light videos? Some will have more grain than the other or not 'look' so nice, some will be brighter. What's more important? See the details or have a good looking picture. It all depends. For dash cam use the number plate readability is more important, I would think. A slightly narrower FOV will make all the difference, the shooting angle too.

The M2 certainly has many more 'advanced' tweaks than the X in it's current version, namely 3 custom WB controls, AEL, AWBL, 5 different Exposure Metering modes, and two Exposure Priority modes, for example.

The X is primarily designed as a dashcam, the M2 is designed for RC use as well as dashcam use. For the M2, simplicity, reliability and low power consumption are more important than GPS and WiFi. It's your choice as to which camera suits you best. Both have their strong points and their week points, but the M2 is certainly more flexible and certainly much easier to configure using mature PC and Android apps.

So, for me, the X is nowhere near to where the M2 is, even though the X has been available for so much longer ;). Two people, two completely different opinions. :)

Lol. Okay lets do this - just for the record I didn't start this. I have never drawn comparissons - I didn't want to be the one who lowered the tone, but I guess you have no qualms when M2s back is up against the wall. I used to respect to Mobius until you sent me an abusive message on RCG. Since then I stopped.

I do take it as a compliment though your egregious attack - you trying to hit me that hard shows what I'm doing is good - we're better than you, and judging by the eBay sales and talking to the other resellers and that we will soon have more resellers than Mobius tells me who the real winner is and it's not your lovechild.

JVX - Over 1000 cameras sold directly (I'm pretty happy with that)
Mobius - 236 sold directly (eBay)

Sure you have been released for less time but we never had a camera before unlike you guys who have a history of them. So for you to release the M2 in such a poor state says more about you guys - worried about something? JVX Maybe? Yes - then I'm getting to you more than you know - No - then why did you release the M2 in such a terrible state?

As I said, we don't have a history of releasing cameras - it's our first - and it's a journey - yeah we got stuff wrong, but we learn and improve. Mobius though have released how many cameras now? Never mind the car cameras they have developed for other people. Lets be nice and say 8 (though i think it's closer to 15+ if I remember my conversation with Peter).

HOW COULD YOU RELEASE A CAMERA WITH ALL OF THAT EXPERIENCE IN THAT POOR A STATE? A state I might add where the night time image quality was so bad that a 15usd camera produced better results. Hell even the keyring camera did.

Why is it you have LESS resellers for M2 than M1?

Why is it you are coming after me so much?

I'm not sure why you attacked me like you did - maybe it's because I'm getting to Mobius? I'm not sure, only you know, but what I do know - I could never be as nasty as you are. We're here to work together and further dash cams, and you just want to put people down. I'm not that guy, I'm not that insecure, I'm not that disgusting.

I hope M2 does improve, I hope it does get better, but I honestly, I hope you go on some personal development journey and you realise lashing out isn't conducive to success. I used to be arrogant and angry like you, hopefully you realise and change.

Last edited:
Lol.

I would respond to that but I can't go that low, I can't be that keyboard warrior. There are better things going on in real life than to get caught up in your Mobius love.

I do take it as a compliment though your egregious attack - you trying to hit me that hard shows what I'm doing is good - we're better than you, and judging by the eBay sales and talking to the other resellers and that we will soon have more resellers than Mobius tells me who the real winner is and it's not your lovechild.

PS
JVX - Over 1000 cameras sold directly (I'm pretty happy with that)
Mobius - 236 sold directly (eBay)

Sure you have been released for less time but we never had a camera before unlike you guys who have a history of them. So for you to release the M2 in such a poor state says more about you guys. I'm new. You're experienced yet you released a substandard product to market.
Boy, I reply to user who doesn't have an M2 and give my personal opinion as someone who doesn't have an X and get personally attacked by the Joovuu owner for stating facts. And not for the first time may I say.
Yes, I do believe in the Mobius family, but unlike you, I'm a private person and am not associated with any camera manufacturer, despite what you think. Unlike you, I try to be helpful.
It's YOU who's the bad boy - indirectly advertising how wonderful your product is and how you think you will soon have more sellers than the Mobius. What has that to do with the cameras in question? Get a life will you.
It's also YOU who's the bad boy, saying the M2 was released in such a poor state - what a joke. The M2 has been reliable from the start, unlike the X - the X was substandard when it was released, and the large number of FW fixes (and user complaints) confirms the fact. You even closed the RCG forum, I assume because of the negatives.
Enough of this nonsense. As always, I'll let you have the last word. I'm a polite person, you know.

PS
I have absolutely no idea how many M2s have been sold, and it doesn't really interest me either, but if you think your figures are correct, then that's fine with me.

So i have been out for a little drive again today, and as a result i have the same footage from 3 cameras to compare.

There is a little problem you have to be aware off, as i set out the X camera recorded 1080/30, so the first part where the clip start with a Shell gas station on the left and ends as i pass a Lidel store on my right.
The later footage off the x camera is where i pass that horse statue but by then i have changed the x camera over to 1080/60.
Youtube or registrator viewer have made trhis footage to 1080/48 FPS

This is recorded just as the sun set here, and as you can see by unreadable plates, capturing those up here this time of the year is a hard thing to do, even the parked cars a pass by doing 18 km/h is problematic to say the least.

Only good thing is if i was something like 1600 km / 1000 miles further north then the sun dont even come up over the horizon this time of the year, so not so bad after all from a dashcam point of view.

RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!m4BEgLBR!Z550-eFNtcgQkb1jgQxu5p8rqFRz03yHu7fV_PDyC_Y
RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!ShJgwJBS!7QfWtIgApepv7zXbPoqukm8M0XTcvDFdpe0jBVkCp3A
RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!a9xSwJCQ!-4ByYpeIG-R2NwBA7zzsirJBCu7BNcPFuQOgu52-xkA

Last edited:
@kamkar1 I can't open any of those ZIP files. I can see the source files inside, but I get an 'unspecified error' when I try to extract them

okay :( ill have a look at it.

yes something have gone wrong with the new zip tool i used, i have now changed to something that work on my own computer at least, uploading new to mega as fast as Mega will allow.

Will update links above when i have working links.

The files in the mega links above should be working now, sorry to all for the non functional Downloads. :oops:

Good thing my Internet provider has no download limit ;) Wish it had much faster upload though, like I have with fast fibre connection at work.

So i have been out for a little drive again today, and as a result i have the same footage from 3 cameras to compare.

There is a little problem you have to be aware off, as i set out the X camera recorded 1080/30, so the first part where the clip start with a Shell gas station on the left and ends as i pass a Lidel store on my right.
The later footage off the x camera is where i pass that horse statue but by then i have changed the x camera over to 1080/60.
Youtube or registrator viewer have made trhis footage to 1080/48 FPS

This is recorded just as the sun set here, and as you can see by unreadable plates, capturing those up here this time of the year is a hard thing to do, even the parked cars a pass by doing 18 km/h is problematic to say the least.

Only good thing is if i was something like 1600 km / 1000 miles further north then the sun dont even come up over the horizon this time of the year, so not so bad after all from a dashcam point of view.

RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!m4BEgLBR!Z550-eFNtcgQkb1jgQxu5p8rqFRz03yHu7fV_PDyC_Y
RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!ShJgwJBS!7QfWtIgApepv7zXbPoqukm8M0XTcvDFdpe0jBVkCp3A
RAW footage in zip
https://mega.nz/#!a9xSwJCQ!-4ByYpeIG-R2NwBA7zzsirJBCu7BNcPFuQOgu52-xkA

Thanks @kamkar1 , there's something interesting to find here...

From what I can see, the Mobius is seriously over exposed BUT....
freeze the video, and the Mobius shows the sharpest picture..... now, I don't know if that's only the lens quality...?

JooVuu's a good second in sharpness, but could the fact of the 48fps have something to do with that? My experience with all my current and past action cams is that in these conditions is indeed almost impossible to read moving license plates.... so, good job for the Mobius, but I think JooVuu could do a little better still in 30fps in HDR mode.

SG is actually more/less the same sharpness, but, hey, I'm prejudiced and I dont have Mobius 2 or SG.... :( so I can't determine myself.

Last edited:
Yes the x cam recorded 60 fps for the first part and 30 for the last part, dunt know if its registrator viewer or youtube that averaged that out to 48 FPS.
But i laughed my ass off when i saw it.
My SG camera is indeed a little soft on the footage i feel, but it is also one of the first cameras to come out of the factory.
I have been planning on messing a little with the lens, but it seem like before i get my ass in gear a V3 camera will be at my doorstep.

I have just been out on a drive today, and this time a little before sunset, but no matter the time i am sure i will not have captured a single plate on my drive.
And it seem like the coming week will be the same low levels of light no matter the time of the day.

Only plates i will be capturing the next months are the ones i am stopped right behind, and if i am lucky the ones that get near me on a sunny day.
But thats just the price to pay for living in the worlds best country ( some claim ) so far north.

I have now changed the M2 camera to boot in the 1080/30 mode #2, i am sure we will see more of the grey overcast days here than the sunny ones.

But thats just the price to pay for living in the worlds best country ( some claim ) so far north.

I have now changed the M2 camera to boot in the 1080/30 mode #2, i am sure we will see more of the grey overcast days here than the sunny ones.

DK eh.... ;)

Anyway, what I wanted to ask, does the M2 has a timed mode by any chance? That would be nice.

2 modes is nice, but I can quarantee I forget to flip that switch while driving into the night.

Is it like in the M1? Or can you change EVERYTHING for each mode now?

No it dont have the timed mode, and i forgot to ask peter is it was possible in my last mail to him.

Ill try to remember it for next time, cuz it is a cool feature for a dual mode camera.

As i understand it the advanced image settings are global, so changes there will work on both mode 1 and 2

Thanks @kamkar1 , there's something interesting to find here...

From what I can see, the Mobius is seriously over exposed BUT....
freeze the video, and the Mobius shows the sharpest picture..... now, I don't know if that's only the lens quality...?

JooVuu's a good second in sharpness, but could the fact of the 48fps have something to do with that? My experience with all my current and past action cams is that in these conditions is indeed almost impossible to read moving license plates.... so, good job for the Mobius, but I think JooVuu could do a little better still in 30fps in HDR mode.

SG is actually more/less the same sharpness, but, hey, I'm prejudiced and I dont have Mobius 2 or SG.... :( so I can't determine myself.
Yes, the M2 is seriously over exposed. I don't know if @kamkar1 had WDR enabled or used other settings than standard but the settings seem to work very well for seeing shadow details and reading number plates.
Like you, I also observed the M2 has a slightly sharper image than the others. The SG badly needs to be refocused, so doesn't really count.
What really stands out in the hesten videos is if you single step while approaching the white car (or the grey car for that matter) on the right of the picture. In both the other videos the rear of the cars really break up the closer you get. The M2 video doesn't break up at all.

The Advanced settings are global, just like the M1. I don't know if time mode is planned or not.

Last edited:
No i am not using WDR, its pretty much standard settings i use.
And i dont feel like what good WDR may do for day footage is offset by what it do for the low light footage

I wish i had 2 cameras cuz thats really the best way of comparing and seeing what a setting change might do bad for the footage, at least when it come to 1080/30 footage, 1080/60 + WDR dont seem to suffer in the same degree.

But even without WDR i have a lot of noise in low light footage and some flickering between 2 iso values or exposure timings as if the camera cant decide which setting to use some times.

But i should say i have not tried WDR again with 2.02.01 firmware.

Back