M2 footage dash and action

@kamkar1 Nice RC car vid. Gives you the look as if I was driving. That sound is painful though.

Hehe yeah that RC4WD trailfinder is a loud truck, i really should get a dodge body for it to match the sound level, but it is the old ( late 80ties i think it is ) Toyota body i have on it.
I think i will have to go for the new Chevy body when this yota body break on me.
Z-B0092-19.jpg

Z-B0092-16.jpg

His loudness is not uncommon i think with all metal cars, and my only soft non metal things on my trailfinder 2 is the wheels and the body that's hard plastic and not the usioal lexan used for RC car bodies.

Its also 2 X the weight ( at least ) compared to the popular Axial SCX10 scale trucks.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Trail-Finder-2-Truck-Kit-wMojave-II-Body-Set_p_4645.html

Anyways enough killing time typing, i was waiting for youtube to do its thing with the recording i just made for you guys.
Nothing special just 3 minutes of me driving in downtown Randers in pretty low light, the sun is still up this time of day / year, but today have been a miserable day in regard to sunshine.

But at least then the dashbord reflections are down to a minimal, and we can see in its current form the M2 camera have the same issues just any other camera also have.

And thats, at speed plates / things are blurred, but driving slow or behind somthing at more or less same speed everything is still crisp and readable in regard to forgiving sized DK/EU plates at least.

The parameters are as usioal: 1080/60 - H264 - low bitrate ( 25 mbit ) and recorded with the latest beta firmware not released to the general public.

ATM i an not able to make the camera boot when i power on my car, not sure if its in FW or the GUI provided by out good friend @Isoprop

But selecting "external only" or "both" under Power on - Auto Record is not saved to my camera, it look so but it aint.

Aside for that i have no issues with the camera, other than the IQ ones off course, but those are already being worked on. :)

https://mega.nz/#!f8xkyRjB!xyfO9jGN8atNFqw7y8_35-KOaFJFzMtxP_RBKm78hjM

Last edited:
Okay got a new firmware today, and a whole heap of new things to tweak in the GUI
Up untill now the M2 had a some what limited number of tings that could be tweaked, but that have changed now, i think everything a happy dash or action cammer could wish for is there now.

So i took a drive around town as a long way around to my favorite pizza joint.
Dunno why youtube have choked my upload, perhaps they are not used to ppl uploading so much in such a short time.

Recording parameters = 1080/60 - H264 - Low bitrate ( 25 mbit CBR ) - mic level medium

If you are hooked up in regard to DL speed and might want to take a look at the real thing ( with da cool sounds from da island mann )
Then you can go for the 3.3 Gb download of the raw file.
https://mega.nz/#!msYBFJoR!W3_kvK0VO9MIbEzqFPALUCoHBbTi_9jZWBpH3uSbJWE

This is full tilt on my cheap ass Double DIN radio.

That was nice to see. You drew around, where I was born (Dronningborg).

Is it possible to make a double like. :):):):)

KamKar1, Any chance of some H.265 footage at a high bit rate or is it still not working under the new firmware?

Also, when you say you can adjust everything you'd ever want to does that include custom bit rates. eg above I see some mention of 45mbs. Can this be used with H.265 at that rate, as that would be truly ground breaking as the equivolent h.265 would be around double that.

I cant upload H265 for some reason, youtube just say its a unknown format.
But i can make some for download no problem, but have to be full files as i have no want of handling H265 files without getting another output format.

H265 have worked fine for me, i just stayed away from it first due to when i got camera i was house sitting and on my sisters old laptop.
And now i am home and my computer have no problem handling H265, but then i have the post production issue and the trubles with youtube failing my uploads of H265 footage.

I will have some H265 for you tomorrow, i go driving with the little RC trucks again, and that mean 2 X 40 min driving in my car too.

at this stage I don't see a benefit with H.265, it will probably take some time before it shows any advantage, no harm in it being available as an option of course but it's not performing any miracles right now, at the moment I think it creates files that a lot of users can't effectively process anyway, technology is ever changing so as hardware improves and people upgrade I'm sure that will become less of an issue

So far my only observation is H265 seem to be able to make do with a lower bitrate to have same ouput IQ as H264.

But i strongly feel H265 is valid as dashcam data flow just get bigger and bigger, and transition to larger / other storage solutions than SD cards seem to be lagging.
I do like the M2 is able to do both H264 and H265.
But i really cant tell anything for sure as i would need 2 cameras to record the same, and then do extensive examination of output footage, and i think to do that best i would need more computer power, or at the least more screen power than my old 22" CRT screen.

Thinking hard about getting my hands on a copy ( not pirate ) of pinnacle studio 20 that's just been released.

you'll be hard pressed to see any difference between H.264 and H.265

That's the idea. H.265 is supposed to deliver H.264 quality at a lower bit rate.

The flip side of that is at the same bit rate, it *should* be equivalent to H.264 video shot at 2x the bit rate ie. H.265 @ 30mbs should be the same as H.264 at @ 60mbs. That is where in theory there could be a possible advantage to be gained. H.265 is designed to provide smaller files size, but there's no reason in theory why you can't use it to produce better quality by using it at the same bit rate as you previously used H.264.

yeah that's the theory, the reality seems to fall a bit short at the moment, it seems more relevant to much larger resolutions than it does to 1080p

at this stage I don't see a benefit with H.265, it will probably take some time before it shows any advantage, no harm in it being available as an option of course but it's not performing any miracles right now, at the moment I think it creates files that a lot of users can't effectively process anyway, technology is ever changing so as hardware improves and people upgrade I'm sure that will become less of an issue

There's a big issue in that not many programs and websites support H.265 atm. Once that is overcome, the advantages should hopefully become clearer.

There's a big issue in that not many programs and websites support H.265 atm. Once that is overcome, the advantages should hopefully become clearer.

lack of software (or capable hardware) for a lot of users is certainly a limitation, at the moment the proposed quality/size advantages aren't being realised, perhaps some of that comes down to firmware development as well though, time will tell I guess, early days still

lack of software (or capable hardware) for a lot of users is certainly a limitation, at the moment the proposed quality/size advantages aren't being realised, perhaps some of that comes down to firmware development as well though, time will tell I guess, early days still
Seems like it has taken H265 too long to sort out it's licensing costs, it's now seriously at risk of loosing out to next years standard which will have no licensing issues and give a 50% lower bitrate for the same quality than H265 - AV1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1

Interestingly AV1 is, according to that wiki page, "specifically designed for real-time applications", which presumably includes dashcams which have to encode in realtime.

Free for all, that's what people want! :D
Well I hope somebody makes some money from the work they have done on AV1, but it's right that the video standard for the internet should be as free to use as the HTML standard has always been. If everything worked like H265 seems to work then we would all have to pay a licence to CERN to use HTML and a separate one to the UK to write our posts in English!

AV1 is obviously going to take off over the next couple of years, I think H265 is about as likely to survive as DVDs.

AV1 is obviously going to take off over the next couple of years, I think H265 is about as likely to survive as DVDs.

It is the old beta or VHS vcr format all over.

All a manufacturer can do is to utilize today's best option. Right now that may be H265. Tomorrow that will change the only question is to what.

My 486 computer used ISA. Industry standard architecture no longer is used by the industry. Technology changes with time.

I think dvds will survive as many people want a physical item they can keep forever. Online options may disappear. thumb drives can fail. Plastic should last as long as we do. Having a dependable physical medium means not losing your data except to a fire or theft.

Tell me about it, i still have my ISA soundblaster AWE 32 Gold :) it was only in use in my first 2 computers as i recall.

Been to the forest again today, so got a little more mini dashcam footage, and this time i have muted the sound on the 5:50 long recording.

Shortly i will have a little H265 footage up too, but first i got to take a cold shower or i will fall asleep.

Stand by to be standing bZzzzzzzz y :eek:

Back