M2 footage dash and action

Kamkar1, big thanks for the clips.

The quality is not great but you can tell, the 1080p 60fps is great, you can read most license plates in daytime, most of them, great
if you need to get that information from the video in case something happened.

And you are right otherwise, nighttime you will only capture what you can see in the light, that is it, but you do not need more than
that, and even if the video is noisy because of a small sensor, it is good enough. I do prefer a action camera (or dashcam) that has
better or superior image during the day. The nighttime videos can be improved by adding extra lights to the vehicle you are driving so I do not thing this is a big deal, it is simply a trade off with the small sensor. And now that extra lights are cheap, we have LED lights and all that, easy to fix that issue if you need better video at night.

------------------------

The video is not super smooth and it is obvious firmware updates will make the camera
better, no doubt about that. For now, at this stage, still a great product and it seems to work
OK even though it is brand new.

The WDR scared me, for real. If it was that bad during night the video is unusable, but good
you posted videos with NO WDR, they looked "OK". Not too bad, and usable !

Last edited:
Recorded with H265 and low bitrate setting, but mostly posted to demo microphone performance.

MIC set to medium in the GUI.

I wanted to UL a 3 minute file captured with H265 and low bitrate ( 16 mbit ) byt it have been rejected by youtube 2 times as the file format is not supported.

So you will just have to DL the 3 minute / 362 MB file from MEGA if you want to view it.
With the way the M2 react with launch firmware on going into a shaded area its hard for me to DEMO how it handle footage with a lot of information going on, but from what i have seen so far the M2 dont trow up a lot of blocking in these situations using these settings.

Using H265 and the lower and lowest bitrate ( 8 mbit & 4 mbit ) you will see blocking in the action parts of the footage, but i have yet to document those settings in fairly good conditions.

https://mega.nz/#!jlR0iIoZ!bo8vKQPuV5mSkCX5WnvJ3RvhXnUVl7YauIfLrj2qLrs

Okay here is another little demo of the microphone performance at the default middle setting, should give some clue as to what you can expect to record of that soft spoken but evil female cop you might encounter at your fully open car window.

Kamkar1 -

First, thanks for posting the videos, really appreciate it. And I see that the comments made that you need a fast computer to view these files are no joke. I'm hanging on to a Intel Core 2 Quad Core from about 2007 (long past it's life but it still does what I need it to do).

The first download was about unplayable, 90% looked like the below screenshot.
The 1080/60 is a little better, but still maybe 20% of the time like the below screenshot.

vlcsnap_2016_08_11_13h49m46s775.jpg

Guess I need a new computer to view H265 videos.

Kamkar1 -

First, thanks for posting the videos, really appreciate it. And I see that the comments made that you need a fast computer to view these files are no joke. I'm hanging on to a Intel Core 2 Quad Core from about 2007 (long past it's life but it still does what I need it to do).

The first download was about unplayable, 90% looked like the below screenshot.
The 1080/60 is a little better, but still maybe 20% of the time like the below screenshot.

vlcsnap_2016_08_11_13h49m46s775.jpg

Guess I need a new computer to view H265 videos.

Have you tried different media players? I am finding that certain players can work better or worse depending on the particular file and camera settings and the settings within the player can be a factor as well. If you are using VLC Player and are seeing the distortions as in your screen shot, try resetting the preferences to default and see if it makes a difference.

On the Mac, MPlayerX has had better luck playing certain Mobius 2 files than others like QuickTime Player,VLC or Quckfire , especially @60 fps. On the Windows side Mobius recommended I try Pot Player which I plan to check out shortly.

I think it will be awhile before many of us can work easily with H.265.

Thats how H265 looked on my little sisters dualcore laptop too and even H264 struggled there too, but on my home quadcore rig i cant tell the difference between H264 and H265 when viewing it or working with them in movie maker.

I am on a Intel Core I7 - 3770 - 3.5 GHZ ( auto OC to 4 GHZ when under load ) and with a staggering 32Gb of ram, not that i think its the amount of ram that do me any good in this case.
GFX card is a old Nvidia GTX 570

I dream about updating GXF, CPU and ram is okay as if i found a game to play again i would do so at 1080p, and thats no problem, but still new stronger GFX card would make me a happy little Dane.

Have you tried different media players? I am finding that certain players can work better or worse depending on the particular file and camera settings and the settings within the player can be a factor as well. If you are using VLC Player and are seeing the distortions as in your screen shot, try resetting the preferences to default and see if it makes a difference.

On the Mac, MPlayerX has had better luck playing certain Mobius 2 files than others like QuickTime Player,VLC or Quckfire , especially @60 fps. On the Windows side Mobius recommended I try Pot Player which I plan to check out shortly.

I think it will be awhile before many of us can work easily with H.265.

I tried defaulting the setting in VLC and din't help. I tried out PotPlayer, and it plays smooth as butter. CPU (all 4 cores) was using around 40-45% during playback. Amazing, I'm liking PotPlayer.

I tried defaulting the setting in VLC and din't help. I tried out PotPlayer, and it plays smooth as butter. CPU (all 4 cores) was using around 40-45% during playback. Amazing, I'm liking PotPlayer.

When I reset VLC to default everything worked better. Then again there may have been a setting I changed way back when that I don't remember. Anyway that was the reason for the suggestion. PotPlayer seems pretty cool. I have to admit I was not aware of it until Mobius suggested it to me.

I just bought an M2 the other day. I was happy with the video footage but not so happy with the audio. The 720p 120fps works great at making slow-mo vids. Here are two quick video I made. I will try to post more on that channel later today with some dash footage.

720p 120fps slow-mo to 30fps
1080p 60fps

I get some chirping noises when recording in 1080p at 60fps but the audio is alway fine at other setting. Weird!

@Pimpy1
Gotta love Pawleys Island - one of my favorite places in the world.

Nice for the most part. Just not fun cutting grass when it's 35c every day all summer with 90% humidity. The low temp last night was 27c.

Just a few observations from the posts so far:

1. The Swedish? user who posted some footage on page 1, really needs a polarised lens as the effect of dash reflection is really spoiling the footage (not only for us but for yourself if needed as proof as the reflections are lowering the quality)

2. If you computer is struggling it probably is to do with the high bit rates but might also be to do with transfer rates. Try copying any file you want to view into your pc eg your desktop or a folder rather than trying to stream it from the camera over a cable - you'll probably find it plays back much better. If not you need a better pc - one reason why I always build mine as gaming machines although not using them for that purpose!

3. Whilst H265 @ 16mbs sounds interesting, it's no more than to be expected as H.265 does allow compression by a factor of around 2 compared with H.264 without noticeable loss. What would be really interesting is H.265 @ 45mbs as that would equate to H.264 at around 90-100mbs.

4. Yep not all websites will support H.265 yet as it's very new

5. Still possibly some issues with lens quality / and / or focal point. I personally still don't like the fact that road signs and number plates aren't readable for much more than around 10 feet from the car.

6. The RunCam 2 whilst under saturated looks slightly sharper in clarity than the Mobius to me.

So we was in the Forrest yesterday with the little RC trucks, and with the M2 strapped to the roof with a rubber band it is almost dashcam footage.

At the end i really put the A in action, so my Mobius 2 get a taste of water :eek: thank god it liked it, at least after it had a few hours to work over the experience.

PS. You might want to turn down the volume, my RC4WD trailfinder 2 truck is pretty loud, even more so with the microphone right up against it.
After another 1 hour of recording on the little truck and about a 3/4 hour driving to my sisters house the M2 had finally cooked off what little dew/ moisture got into the lens to fog up that footage.
When i left my sisters place the camera had also been cooking in the hot car for another half or whole hour, so by then the footage was back to its normal non foggy state :)

Recording parameters:
1080/60 - H264 - low setting ( 25 mbit )

M2 guarding my car while i go shopping, and a bonus shot of the good looking me getting back to the car :D

Back