Magnetic CPL lens filter for Street Guardian SG9665GC

the lens housing is shorter on the B40 so you have a little more room to work with to get a CPL further out, the wider lens means a larger diameter filter is needed which then probably takes back some of what you gained, no harm in giving it a go though

For few month ( almost from day one I got SG9665GC ) I wanted to make a CPL lens filter for it, I have tried few stock CPL lens filters ( from Mini 0806, mobile phones CPL lens filters etc ) but I have faced few challenges due to limited space that can be used for this project.
I was not able to use CPL filter from mobile phones or the one from Mini 0806 directly even if just sticking with thin double sided tape to the base of dashcam camera, - they caused vignetting. And the second challenge - I was not able to adjust the vertical angle of the lens, due to CPL was "hitting" car windscreen due to CPL lens filter 3-4mm metal frame.

My goal was to make CPL lens filter ultra-slim, just wide enough to barely cover lens FOV area without going too much outside of the lens body and at the same time be able to rotate, and also be able to remove when needed.

I know this might not be a perfect project or acceptable for mass-production and not suitable for everyone's needs, but at least I have achieved all my goals and it works for me.

So this is the best I was able "to create" with materials I had in my hand. It's just a quick raw DIY I have made "on the go". The next one would look slightly better.

This is just to give an idea for those who also want to try something similar, or it might give other ideas to go from here further.

I have used
- a mobile phone clip-on CPL lens filter
- key-ring
- neodymium magnets
- thin 3M double sided tape
- permanent marker

View attachment 12900

Yellow triangle on CPL fitler glass is a temporary sticker just to know which side is front, while working on the project.
View attachment 12901

View attachment 12902

Key-ring need to be cut and slightly squeezed the way it creates a spring-tension over the CPL lens glass edge. You may use a thin layer of nail polisher or glue between key-ring and glass. I did not use glue yet, key-chain ring spring-tension worked fine for now.

View attachment 12903

Using thin 3M double-sided tape to attach neodymium magnets to the lens holder body. This is just a temporary solution. For proper job need to glue them with super-glue.
View attachment 12904
Painted front part of the key-ring with black colour permanent marker, so I can identify which side is front and which is back.
To be honest, within few days of use, marker starting coming off. I was thinking to make some marks on front area of key-ring with mini file.

Also painted shiny neodymium magnets to look more stealthy.
View attachment 12905

View attachment 12906

View attachment 12907
Yeah!
Good job, Nikolaï !

As this seems to be finalized solution, do you offer such a CPL filter for sale as an option?

Yeah!
Good job, Nikolaï !

As this seems to be finalized solution, do you offer such a CPL filter for sale as an option?

Thanks.
This was just my quick most practical DIY solution at that time. We are working on different versions of CPL filter options. Need some time to finalise a retail version.

Ok, so please let us know when the retail version is available

the lens housing is shorter on the B40 so you have a little more room to work with to get a CPL further out, the wider lens means a larger diameter filter is needed which then probably takes back some of what you gained, no harm in giving it a go though

As the SG9665GC was provided with dual mount, I first located it at the top of windshield next to left side of the rear mirror (as suggested), then tried numerous alternate locations thanks to second item... Finally, I found best location at the very center of the car, but this made the cam to be moved down under the rear mirror and distant from windshield too (10cm average) because sticked on the lower side of the mirror instead of the window. Paradoxically, this low and back position made the license plates become more readable by night (as no longer overexposed by xenon car lights), more discreet (from outside), more accessible (from inside), and sheltered from sun exposure...

So, thanks to 10 centimeters (average) between lens and windshield, CPL thickness is no longer a problem for me. In such a case, can you suggest me CPL model from another mark/model which may match with this configuration?

Thanks

We need to make a suitable bracket, we're looking at some different options at the moment but nothing confirmed just yet so no solution ready to go at this time

Thanks for your answer.
What a pity, but no other choice except waiting for mature coming device

As the SG9665GC was provided with dual mount, I first located it at the top of windshield next to left side of the rear mirror (as suggested), then tried numerous alternate locations thanks to second item... Finally, I found best location at the very center of the car, but this made the cam to be moved down under the rear mirror and distant from windshield too (10cm average) because sticked on the lower side of the mirror instead of the window. Paradoxically, this low and back position made the license plates become more readable by night (as no longer overexposed by xenon car lights), more discreet (from outside), more accessible (from inside), and sheltered from sun exposure...

So, thanks to 10 centimeters (average) between lens and windshield, CPL thickness is no longer a problem for me. In such a case, can you suggest me CPL model from another mark/model which may match with this configuration?

Thanks

Thats interesting.
I imagine where you mounted it, but what is your car make / model / year ? Can please you share few pictures from inside and outside of car to see where exactly did you mount it and maybe point out ( on picture ) where it was before. Also, do you have a factory orignal HID or aftermarket, what colour temperature ?

Car is "AUDI A4 Avant" (2009, B8 version) with factory original Xenon lights like this A4B8.jpg
I do not understand what you mean with HID nor "colour temperature".
I will publish some picture of dashcam installation soon...

Last edited:
Car is "AUDI A4 Avant" (2009, B8 version) with factory original Xenon lights like this (see joined file)
I do not understand what you mean with HID nor "colour temperature".
I will publish some picture of dashcam installation soon...
Audi S line ? Nice !

About HID / Xenon colour temperature:

http://www.hid4cheap.com/Color-Chart_ep_43.html

But if you say they are factory original, its usually around 5-6K colour temperature.

Here there are diagrams of original and alternate locations.
Real pictures will be added soon...

Attachments

• AlternatePosition.jpg
    AlternatePosition.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20
  • OriginalPosition.jpg
    OriginalPosition.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes, it is (for all mentionned hypothesis).

First time I saw 12" clip on RVmirror screen beginning of this year, but it was too big for my needs. I am OK with my 8" LCD multimedia headunit.

Also local police can be picky some time to clip-on mirrors if they do random check on NCT ( MOT ) / insurance / road tax.

I tried to locate that 12" LCD mirror I saw in the past but was not able to find. I think it was not 12", but 10.2".
Can you confirm if your is THIS ONE ?

There are two versions:

1. with velcro straps

2. clip-on. I see your is clip-on

Last edited:
No. My item is a 11.8" (30cm) but this model is no longer available, I had to buy smaller new model for my wife car.

Back