Magnetic CPL lens filter for Street Guardian SG9665GC

I would be afraid that too large of a mirror will create blind spots
Or give you a cracking headache if you had an accident!

And what's about CPL filter for SG9665GC???:rolleyes:

This glass hugging design is a very odd shape and very close to the window. We have a few ideas to design something but will take some time.

Yes, I know. But as you can see it on my pictures, the unit is not so close as not located on the window but on the rear mirror instead. This makes distant between lens cam and windshield to be not less than 5.5" (14cm). Thickness of filter (mount included) is then no longer a challenge in my case. So, I wonder if an existing CPL filter (designed for another mark/model of dashcam) may suit this configuration (same diameter than my unit).

Yes, I know. But as you can see it on my pictures, the unit is not so close as not located on the window but on the rear mirror instead. This makes distant between lens cam and windshield to be not less than 5.5" (14cm). Thickness of filter (mount included) is then no longer a challenge in my case. So, I wonder if an existing CPL filter (designed for another mark/model of dashcam) may suit this configuration (same diameter than my unit).

In your mounting case there is a possibility to use a Magnetic CPL filter ( MagFilter )

Thanks. Do you have such an item for sale?

Hummm. I had a look on your CPL filters but diameter size seems to be greater than needed as designed for Panorama. I wonder if 24mm CPL designed for Mini0806 should be more suitable...

Hummm. I had a look on your CPL filters but diameter size seems to be greater than needed as designed for Panorama. I wonder if 24mm CPL designed for Mini0806 should be more suitable...
As per my 1st post, 0806 cpl will not work in my personal set-up if using it as is without modifications. For your dashcam setup it may work if to attach permanently with double sided tape, but then it will not be removable if needed for night drivings. I need to replicate your dashcam set up and see how it works. Will try when get a chance.

I remember when I tested 0806 CPL even with thinnest double sided tape which means you can not remove it for night recording, there will be a vignetting. Thanks to @Mtz, he confirmed and have posted pictures:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-street-guardian-sg9665gc.10943/#post-140101

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-street-guardian-sg9665gc.10943/#post-140112

There is a DIY solution to use 0806 CPL on SG9665GC for your set up and even make instant attachment / detachment, but its a big job to do. I have not found yet time for that DIY project.
The quickest ready made solution for you is 36mm MagFilter.
Just in case, could you please measure vertical distance from lens housing area edge to the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is my quick drawing what I am trying to ask in order to know if magnetic CPL MagFilter will fit your set-up.

20150608_111847.jpg

Yeah! What a good drawer you are!
Here it is the diagram with expected information:
Lens.jpg
But I do not understand difference between two magnetic CPL filters. And 36mm is twice big than necessary.

If filter diameter is too small you will get dark edges in the corners of your video due to the cpl housing being in the field of view

Indeed! I did not thought about this. Thanks

Yeah! What a good drawer you are!
Here it is the diagram with expected information:
View attachment 14057
But I do not understand difference between two magnetic CPL filters. And 36mm is twice big than necessary.
Good drawer ? [emoji4] Thanks, but its just a quick on the go solution to rephrase my earlier question.
From your measurements I can see MagFilter fits perfectly.
Of course ideal minimum would be around 26-28mm CPL, but with such measurement it does not exist with thin CPL + magnet combination. 36mm MagFilter at the moment is the only available magnetic cpl solution for your set-up that I am aware. Maybe in future there will be a better ( smaller in size ) magnetic solutions.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks a lot for your help.

Back