Magnetic Lightning / MicroUSB connectors

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I've just seen this and it looks a simple but great idea for phone charging:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...pter-for-your-mobile-devic?ref=checkout_share

It's designed for phone charging but got me thinking about something similar for in car use for those people who want to remove their camera a lot. A magnetic connector would be great although you'd probably find out it would come loose in an incident but definitely food for thought - it says these come part with 9N of force whereas an Apple Magsafe adaptor is 24N, that's probably mainly to do with the extra size of the Magsafe adaptor.

For the microUSB version this cable makes any device reversible which makes life easier pre USB C

I wonder if maybe they get around a lot of the patents due to the connector that stays in the phone and then the reversible adaptor that connects to that (not sure how they handle the lines being the wrong way around though).

It does say it's not currently Apple MFI certified so the Lightning version could be killed off in any Apple iOS update which is a bit risky - they would have to get that sorted sharpish for now.

not sure how they handle the lines being the wrong way around though
text lines or power/data lines ? :D
If it's for power/data lines something similar to:
1-2-3-4-5
5-4-3-2-1
then you can simply turn the cable as you wish.
rtEue8EPSpyr72yD

R0MKkXri117HH9DT

Last edited:
I never even noticed that picture but you've made it look super simple :)

With a micro SD connector, when you slide the plug into the socket the contacts slide over each other and clean themselves.
With this any dirt on the contacts just gets clamped firmly between the contacts and they are never cleaned, I can see them being a little unreliable...

I backed the znaps project a while ago. my main use for it will be for my iPhone dashboard mount. I already have a super quick magnetic mount for my phone but I still have to use 2 hands to plug in the cable. I could use those 3 seconds for something else. :D

and yes, I do have to plug in my phone when I listen to streaming music because my car's Bluetooth profile is for phone call use only.

I have a (jailbroken) iphone. and yes, there are tools out there that I can use to output music to my car but it will only output in mono and not stereo.

Back