Micro SD card file recovery using a Mac

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 64gig Sandisk micro SD card, FAT 32 formatted. all was working OK in the camera and also in the card reader for my laptop

then last night thinking it was a different micro SD card I connected it to my TV, the TV did open the card up so took it out and saw it was the 64 Gig card and swapped it wit the one I intended to connect with the TV

this morning went to use the 64 gig micro SD card with my laptop and the computer didn’t recognise the card and gave me a choice to eject it or initialise (format) the card.

tried the card in the camera and even the camera won’t recognise the card and asks me to format the card

went on the internet to see what recovery app are out there for the Mac and found two that did read the files on the micro SD card but to extract the files they wanted, $49 and $89, is there any free apps that would do the same thing for a Mac?

cant you repair the files with registrator viewer ? assuming if you can fix the files then you can atleast get them off the card and then format the card ?

PS. i can hear the thin ice i am on cracking under my feet :D

in the past I’d format the card and it would all be OK to use, just that this time I still have a few files to take off so don’t want to format it till I have removed them off the card, I’ll follow that link and hopefully it’ll do the trick, many thanks

I followed the link, I downloaded it but it’s command line stuff, so not sure of myself to do anything with it in case I slip up, are there any other for non tech minded people like me?
in the past I'd format the card and it would go back top normal,

many thanks :)

Last edited:
Can the builtin Disk Utility tool actually see it?

Reverend, when I connect the Micro SD card reader this is what comes up

Disk Utility sees the volume but can’t access the drive to repair it

no access to disk repair or verify disk, about the only thing I can do is select disk info

I think the directory has been corrupted as when i tried the demo recovery app the showed the first 19 or 20 files on the card then ask to buy the $89 app to carry out the recovery
in the past I'd format the card and it would go back top normalin the past I'd format the card and it would go back top normalin the past I'd format the card and it would go back top normal

for the Mac and found two
MAC+VirtualBox (or something else) + Win10 (you don't have to register it; it will be enough to test several win apps) OR any other Linux distribution.

in the end I used an app called "Disk Drill" it was straight forward to use in recovering the files with this app, took about 2 or 3 hours and saved them on the SSD of my laptop (for speed) and it saved all the files i.e. music, image and movie files, I was very pleased

Welcome to DCT @miesmoss :)

For future readers with corrupted file problems
: If a cam has a viewer built in, sometimes a corrupted file can be fixed by viewing it in the cam. It's the easiest thing to try first and it won't do any more damage if it doesn't work.

Phil

Back