micro SD OMG

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Well today it happned to me, as i was about to leave home inserting the sd card in the SG9665GC, resulted in a launch out of the still open car door.
And since the ground in the yard where my car is parked is loose stone from 1/4 golf ball size and down to gravel i had a hard time finding the SD card again, actually after spending 40 minutes on my knees on the stuff ( painfull and uncomfortable and a well know torture method ) i gave up finding the SD card.

BUT ! to my luck as i entered my car i took a final look down and there was the SD card between the pepples, i did see the SD card in the air when it launched and it did inicially land 1 M or so from the car, but it must have bounced back the same way it came.

So just to underline my old statement, if your dashcam use micro SD cards, please for god sake designe it so its as easy as possible to insert and retrive.
And using the nails is not a optimal way in my mind, a SD card should be able to get in and out of somthing with the press of a finger tip, and not rely on precision work using finger nails.

This is the first time i have launched a card and "lost" it, but i have done it many times where i just had to find it on the floor under my table behind me, or under the sofa next to the table.

I almost had one go down the defroster vent but it managed to stop a couple mm before disappearing down into the abyss. My only hope then would have been the blower having enough force to eject it (or disassemble the dash).

That's one of the reasons I did this to my microsd cards, but I really wish more manufacturers would just use standard SD slots in units that are obviously large enough to house them. The added thickness of the tape on both sides is enough to prevent the card from popping out instantly on my CF-100, can't say if it'll do the same for other models of dashcams.

KuoH

2zeyttt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or make the camera easy to remove....much safer carrying small camera around than a miniscule card.

Since I rarely remove my cams from my truck, having the usb port accessible when the camera is mounted in a normal position helps, also.

(Most truckers who have a dash cam, have a laptop with them)

Hehe i did the tape trick long ago on another SD card, works just fine but i never got around to do it to the 64Gb card in the SG camera :rolleyes: BUT i will do that tonight as this thing today was hell, not least the 40 minutes of me crawling around on my hands and knees.

It should be said the other card i did the tape stick on the tape failed after a while, but after that i now retrive the whole ( mobius ) camera when i need to get footage off it, with the little mobius and the way i have it mounted in the rear window thats no problem.
That beeing said i really think the makers should take this into account, and it can be done well as my multi card reader is a outright pleasure to put a micro into and out off.
Then again i hope for large ( dual and up ) systems with a SSD inside and a USB slot for retriving footage and with that problem is solved. :)

I had few spring back when inserting into the slot.
One fell in between car seat and center console and was a pain to find and then get a hold of it when found.
Another, almost went under the gear box.

I always put my nail at an angle to prevent that now but some dashcams have the slot little inside and angled nail won't push it to click it.
That's when I have to keep my other hand ready. :S

Maybe a fold tab like in phone for SIM Card is the solution that doesn't need clicking but just pressing and locking the tab like this but that lifts up to unlock .

06-Galaxy-S-Tutorial.jpg

What ever they do i am willing to pay 5 dollars more for a non problematic micro SD solution.

On a off note, summer is here and the US car guys sure do have ther cars running now, quite nice to hear a V8 chug by from time to time :)
I guess thats not a thing Americans would notice, but here in ricer ville i sit up and pay attention :D

It's a hard one that - maybe dashcam manufacturers should just cheat and take a leaf out the Apple book and use a method similar to the iPhone SIM tray. It's secure (possibly too secure) but if you're not constantly reading the card every few days it might work. It suits metal better than plastic though because it's so tight.

Look how crap those tiny microSD readers are that you push the card into - I've broken way too many now. Saying that the bigger ones like Kingston and Transcend offer seem more reliable and they're push fit. I guess they're not sat in a vibrating car though where the card could work itself loose.

I use my cap holding it close to main unit facing 45 degree angle towards microsd card slot, only then removing ( push click-in ) card.
1/10 times microsd card slips from my finger nail and jumps out. In all those cases cap was able to catch "the runner" :)
Before that I had quite often those accidents where microsd card falls into some tiny space. Two times I even had to remove front seats in order to get to the card. After many painful experiences I found out using cap ( which I wear on daily basis to cover my baldness ) is good on-the-go solution. So you see, - being bald is not that bad at all, if you wear the hat ;)

Well today it happned to me, as i was about to leave home inserting the sd card in the SG9665GC, resulted in a launch out of the still open car door.
And since the ground in the yard where my car is parked is loose stone from 1/4 golf ball size and down to gravel i had a hard time finding the SD card again, actually after spending 40 minutes on my knees on the stuff ( painfull and uncomfortable and a well know torture method ) i gave up finding the SD card.

BUT ! to my luck as i entered my car i took a final look down and there was the SD card between the pepples, i did see the SD card in the air when it launched and it did inicially land 1 M or so from the car, but it must have bounced back the same way it came.

So just to underline my old statement, if your dashcam use micro SD cards, please for god sake designe it so its as easy as possible to insert and retrive.
And using the nails is not a optimal way in my mind, a SD card should be able to get in and out of somthing with the press of a finger tip, and not rely on precision work using finger nails.

This is the first time i have launched a card and "lost" it, but i have done it many times where i just had to find it on the floor under my table behind me, or under the sofa next to the table.

Haha, been there and done that, and what a stomach churning experience it must have been for you, I've had a few near misses with the 0806 which has a sprung loaded release so as you press the card with your nail it has the capability to fly out if you don't catch it, and don't ask me how, but the card always manages to land deep between the seats on the runners or somewhere well out of reach, why does it never land on the carpet or on the seat? Bit like toast with butter and marmalade always landing face down!

You were so lucky in actually finding the SD card especially with it dropping onto the gravel, I had the same experience a few months ago but as luck had it, I didn't actually drop the card on the driveway, I just didn't know where I had dropped it because I was damn sure that I had inserted it into the adapter (which I had) but wasn't 100% sure - as luck would have it I finally found it stuck between the keys of my computer keyboard on my old computer though that hadn't stopped me retracing all my steps from the car to the house and spending a good 20 minutes crawling around on my hands and knees looking down at the driveway, my wife thought I was nuts and the kids thought it was all very amusing and even offered to 'help' which would have only compounded the problem!

And although I ought to know better, I still eject the SD card from the 0806 instead of removing the camera like I do with the Mobius which is just so much easier to do since I eased the fingers holding the camera body into its holder.

Perhaps if the micro SD card was chrome plated it might show up better when it makes a run for freedom ;)

Actually while i was on my hands and knees i was thinking about painting the damm thing pink if i ever found it, but then there is the warrenty thing.

I put tape on the card some houres ago, i have not had a card go flying on me with that mod, and even if it go flying the tape should act like a air brake.

Once i allso had the card from the mobius fly towards the front, and yes it too landed in between the seat and the center console, and i am not big on keeping my car clean down there. :rolleyes:

why does it never land on the carpet or on the seat? Bit like toast with butter and marmalade always landing face down!

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
( Murphy's Law )

Back