Mini 0801 Starts UP but fails to Start Recording, Then Read This.

Lunar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
3x Mini 0801 / Mio-368WDR+AGF
If users ever experience their mini 0801 camera powers on but fails to start recording, don't under-estimate the importance of trying different mini B /Usb cables.

I've had this happen about 3 times now with some usb cables, though only with the first 0801 camera I bought which is used primarily as a very cheap option home security camera. IOW it's mounted up high on the inside window of the house, watching over my car and the complete entrance to our property. My other 2 camera's which are in the front and rear of the car have given no issues whatsoever, but this 1st one does seem fussy where usb cables are concerned.

Today I decided to tidy the cabling up to this home security camera, and decided to use a different cable, as I needed a little more length, and us men can always use more of that...lol

However, although the camera powered on okay, it would'nt go into record mode or when it did it would stop within a few seconds, I did notice a quick error message on the screen... the first error msg I've spotted, but it went off before I could read it. The last time this happened a few weeks ago, I just gave it a blast of isopropyl and squeezed in the mini usb connector slightly to make it a firmer fit and that seemed to fix it, in that it's been working almost constantly 24/7 for several weeks. TBH I expected it to fail within-in a couple of days but No it's still going strong :)

Anyway trying a different cable solved it, so don't underestimate the wierd effects that some power cables can have on this camera, (and that may apply to it's power Supply too), though in this case all I had changed was the cable... I was still using the same supply, which had been running fine for weeks.

I mention it because some people may think the cable is fine because they see the camera powering up okay, but I can assure you 'Not All USB Cables Are The Same' and the mini 0801 is very fussy, and gives some wierd symptoms with some cables, I've no idea why, whether it's just a poor connection or there's a difference in how they are wired, or just a poor quality issue but the fact is.. it happens.

Back