Mini 0806 or Mobius for the rear?

Prog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x Mini 0806, front and rear
I have a Mini 0806 in my windscreen and I think it's great. I'm now looking to get a second camera so naturally thought about getting the same.

However, I'm wondering if it might be a bit too much and that a Mobius would do the job so I'm looking for opinions. I'm really torn!

Pros of the 0806
  • GPS
  • Screen
  • Familiarity
  • If the front camera breaks down, I'll have another that slots straight into the windscreen mount
Pros of the Mobius
  • Size/form factor
  • Mounting options

Last edited:
More pros of the 0806:

• The time is always correct, no need to set it because of the GPS, makes it easy to match up the front and rear video.
  • I normally find the bit of video I want based on the GPS track so not having it would be like going back to old VHS tape!
  • Mounting, very easy on my hatchback, just sticks to the top of the glass next to the high level brake light and is surprisingly hard to see from outside, more so than at the front.
  • Better WDR (things not being hidden in shadows), this can be a disadvantage as combining the multiple exposures can blur license plates however it is not much of an issue at the back since cars behind normally have closing speeds of 5 or 20 instead of 60 or 120 so there is considerably less motion blur.
  • With my 0803 I find the rear much worse than the front for things disappearing into darkness due to the sun being in the image and affecting the exposure, not sure why the rear is worse than the front, I guess the Mobius is similar. The 0806 is much better at coping with that situation.
  • 1 full year warrantee wherever you purchase it.
  • Horizontal resolution of 2560 instead of 1920, 44% more pixels/information.

I thought having a second GPS might give better evidence or proof that the first is sometimes wrong, but I find that when one is obviously wrong, the other almost always exactly agrees with it!

The Mobius does have an advantage in a narrower lens being available. If you have a pickup truck with the camera mounted a long way forward then the narrow option is desirable, for most modern hatchbacks which have the glass right at the back of the car a wide lens is probably preferable so you can see where more people are.

All very good points and all reasons why I love my 0806. I'd not even thought about it but I also find the section of video I want from the GPS track in Registrator Viewer. I just wonder if I'm being swayed towards another without giving the Mobius a fair hearing.

I have a 2015 Škoda Fabia estate (the latest shape) and the rear window slopes a fair amount so I'm still working out how I'd mount either camera. There's no high level brake light amongst which to hide things.

Last edited:
For an 0806 you just stick it to the top centre of the glass, as high as possible while still able to plug the power in and leave a small loop of cable between the camera on the tailgate and the headlining so that there is enough spare for when the tailgate opens. If you slam the tailgate down then the camera only moves a small distance quite slowly and is fine. Get a long stick and push the cable through above the headlining to join up with the front camera's power supply.

For the Mobius it is not so simple.

Hmm... Is it possible to run two 0806s from one power supply then?

Specifically a hardwire kit in my case.

Hmm... Is it possible to run two 0806s from one power supply then?

Specifically a hardwire kit in my case.
I soldered an extra USB Cable into my 0806 hardwire kit, runs the 0806 at the front and 0803 at the back no problem. Most kits are rated at 1.5 or 2 amps, the cameras use about 0.4 amps.

Some hardwire kits come with two USB outputs, then you just need USB extension cables to reach the cameras.

Alternatively you can use one hardwire kit for each camera and connect them to the same 12V fuse tap with a 2 amp fuse, use crimp connecters to crimp the two power cables together.

In all those cases, it is easiest to run the 12 volt power up to near the interior light (or use the light's 12 volt power) and place the hardwire kit(s) there. 12 volt cable is much cheaper than USB cable and you only need the positive since you can use a local earth point.

Thanks, that's definite food for thought.

I was planning to connect a second hardwire kit to the fuse tap I already use for the front cam. I guess a lot of it will come down to whichever is the easiest way to route cable to the rear. It may indeed prove easier to take a second feed from the front cam's hardwire kit, especially if it's rating is high enough to power two cams comfortably.

Do you have a photo of your cam mounted in the back window, Nigel? I just can't help thinking it'll look a bit big in my car.

Do you have a photo of your cam mounted in the back window, Nigel? I just can't help thinking it'll look a bit big in my car.
I do now, well sort of, this is my mini 0803 from the outside:

Rear%20Dashcam.jpg

and it produces images like:

Rear%200803%20%281%29.jpg

I did go back out for a photo using a CPL but the above is actually a typical view from the outside and even with the CPL it is still very hard to see the camera since from normal standing height it is completely hidden under the black mask (electrical masking tape). The only bit you can see is the bottom of the GPS base with it's grey sticky pad and bubble in the centre, the camera is completely in shadow under the mask and behind the standard dark glass and only visible if you bend down and know what you are looking for. As you can see, it is really "mini" compared to the high level brake light to it's left, also with standard black mask around it.

If you have a pickup truck with the camera mounted a long way forward then the narrow option is desirable.

This little nugget of advice is wrong and is obviously made by someone who doesn't own or drive a pick-up truck. In fact, the advice is the opposite of what is required for adequate coverage in a pick-up truck. If I owned a hatchback, the inverse would apply. I would opt for a narrower lens because the camera would be up against the rear glass with no need to cover any other part of the vehicle.

Having experimented with a range of focal length lenses in rear facing cameras on a pick-up truck my experience leads me to conclude that the Mobius "B" lens on it's wide setting is the idea solution. This provides excellent viewing of the vehicles behind you, including license plate readability while at the same time providing coverage on both sides of the pick-up bed. On a pick-up truck you want to document everything that goes on behind the cab or you risk losing vital coverage during a significant event that comes from the side. Additionally, as I always run my rear Mobius camera in full time parking mode when away from my vehicle I find that coverage of either side of the truck bed is essential when away from the vehicle.

Some may opt for using the narrow setting on a wide angle Mobius lens, and this is fine too. The key is to have coverage on either side of the bed.

Mobius-B-lens.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention......a fringe benefit of wide rear lens coverage in a pick-up truck is that when parked and away from the vehicle you have surveillance of your cargo.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Nigel. That looks a lot smaller in the window than I was expecting. Good also to see that mostly reflected sky is visible to the casual observer rather than technology.

I think my mind may be made up.

And here is some video (you need the sound to understand it!):

Ha! Underpowered bikes do that to me all the time. Not even shifting down a gear could save him. :)

Good footage nonetheless and no doubt really good in context with the front cam.

Ha! Underpowered bikes do that to me all the time. Not even shifting down a gear could save him. :)

Good footage nonetheless and no doubt really good in context with the front cam.
Without the sound it wouldn't have made much sense so if the bike wasn't so noisy you would need the front view to understand it, although on it's own the front view doesn't tell the whole story either because you would never know that he had L plates on so can't have been doing more than 45 mph! Note how far behind the Merc. was in the rear view and how close it was by the time it got to the front:

Dashmellow, that looks ideal for a pick-up. My little car is somewhat less rugged. :)

I was responding specifically to Nigel's uninformed remarks about FOV in rearwards facing lenses on a pick-up truck rather than your particular needs for your car. FWIW though, ruggedness has nothing to do with whether an 0806 or a Mobius would be the best choice for your rear camera.

Having said that, keep in mind that as per usual, Nigel offers his personal opinions regarding the "Pros" of the 0806 and non of the "Cons". His comments about the 0806 always come across as sounding like commercial promotions rather than balanced opinions.

Additionally, Nigel offers up negative remarks about the Mobius presented as facts, when in reality they are merely his opinions. Of course, Nigel doesn't happen to own a Mobius and therefore has no hands-on experience with one or its sophisticated GUI which is the most refined, flexible, most updated and continuously improved dash camera firmware on the market. As such, you should ignore, or at least take with a grain of salt his remarks about the 0806 having "better WDR", a one year warranty (available with the Mobius) poor or difficult mounting options, etc.

You've already mentioned the "Pros" of the Mobius with regard to it's size, form factor and mounting options. When comparing to the 0806, consider too the option of a super-capacitor which will provide worry free long term performance over the lithium-ion battery in the 0806 in both extreme heat and below freezing, which are best avoided in this type of battery.

Last edited:
I'm running an 0806 in my rear window for a few months now as a long term test. So far it is runing well except for some GPS drop outs in each clip and, having a tan rear deck, the reflections are too much for the cheap polarizing filter that bounces on big bumps. I will say the 3 light system, makes it easy to see what is working or not, as often the GPS takes too long to lock on.

As Dashmellow pointed out, having a battery will necessitate me removing it in the summer months which isn't ideal because, as proven, the more it's removed the looser the mount gets. Already the one side mount makes it not as stable as I would like. While I like it, having to remove it with that mount and being unable to handle reflections will probably cause me to swap it out.

Also while the resolution numbers are higher for the 0806, I still find that the Mobius produces a better picture. Also the Mobius' files play better on phones and tablets on the go. While having a screen, the 0806's is too small to be really useful.

Oh and YES, Nigel only recommends and highly praises one camera which is the Mini series. So take that into account.

Last edited:
Hi, I have Mobius front and rear and can not fault either of them. Excuse the horrid speakers, I have still to re-fit the covers

Thanks for all the input. I'm still undecided to be honest.

A Mobius with GPS would perhaps be the ideal cam for my needs but that unfortunately doesn't exist. Not yet anyway.

Back