Viofo A229 Plus or 2x A119 Mini 2?

prv008

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Viofo seems to be having a spring sale on Amazon with the A119 Mini 2 ($99) and Viofo A229 Plus ($180).

Can someone kindly help me make a decision between buying a single A229 Plus vs 2x A119 Mini 2 (one for front and one for rear). I researched the pros and cons mentioned in all the other threads here and it seems like the decision between 2 single channel and one dual channel dash cam is fairly evenly split and I am losing my mind over this decision.

My 3 channel VIOFO has been excellent for years.

I would get the 2 channel because it's easier to check if it is working before you drive off, instead of two, where you would have to look behind you to see a tiny LED.

@mentadent That makes sense, thank you.

Also, for folks who have used dash cams for a while (I am new to this), two additional questions
1. Are single channel dash cams more reliable than 2 channel dash cams in the long run?
2. Do I really need a rear camera if I don't drive too much (could I just make due with a single A119 mini 2 in the front)?

Welcome to the club.
You are the second person in 2 weeks to wrestle with this decision.
Use Promo Code MikeDmini2 for 5% off the Mini 2’s.

Convenience: A229 Plus 2-CH ($180)
Image Quality: A119 Mini F&R ($99 each)

A119 Mini 2 additional costs;
$15 2nd CPL Filter
$18 2nd HK4 Hardwire Kit
$?? 2nd SD Card

5% Off MikeDmini2 .png

1. Are single channel dash cams more reliable than 2 channel dash cams in the long run?
YES!

2. Do I really need a rear camera
Yes, kinda.
And also side cameras. lol

Last edited:
You are the second person in 2 weeks to wrestle with this decision.
Use Promo Code MikeDmini2 for 5% off the Mini 2’s.

Convenience: A229 Plus 2-CH ($180)
Image Quality: A119 Mini F&R ($99 each)

A119 Mini 2 additional costs;
$15 2nd CPL Filter
$18 2nd HK4 Hardwire Kit
$?? 2nd SD Card

View attachment 71393

YES!

Yes, kinda.
And also side cameras. lol

Glad I am not alone :LOL: and thanks so much for the promo code for the A119 Mini 2. You sold me on the necessity of a rear cam (will skip the side cameras for now though!)

Are single channel dash cams really significantly more reliable in the long run - if so, do folks still put up with them just for the convenience (vs buying two single channel ones)?

Are single channel dash cams really significantly more reliable in the long run
I can only speak to my personal experience with multi channel vs. single channel dash cams.
Single channel dash cams have "always" been more reliable based on my personal experience.
But that’s not why I like them so much.
The second channel (rear) of a multi channel dash cam “never” has the same, or equal image quality as the main (front) camera.
It can be the same image sensor, but they always find a way to make the rear worse by reducing the Bitrate of the rear camera, or something else.
You also get the benefit of of redundancy, (if one fails you still have the other).
You also get double the recording time because you’ll have twice the SD Card capacity.

I would get the 2 channel because it's easier to check if it is working before you drive off, instead of two, where you would have to look behind you to see a tiny LED.
This is kind of true.
When I want to verify if my A119 Mini 2 on the rear window is working I bark some voice commands to see if it responds like; “turn on screen / turn off screen”.
Or you can cuss him out;

I bought both the A119 and A229 and here are some non-obvious differences I observed that I hope will help folks in the future.

Pros for Viofo A119 Mini 2:
  • Parking mode works perfectly in non-hardwired mode (my car has always-on ports). A119 Mini 2 goes into parking mode after being stationary for 5 minutes and can also completely turn off camera after some time. A229's parking mode was super buggy (probably works fine in hardwired mode though).
  • Higher resolution options than advertised (reaching almost 3k @ 30fps)
  • Faster boot times (8 vs 16 seconds)
Pros for Viofo A229 Plus:
  • Wifi station mode to connect to home router and browse files from laptop without needing to disconnect from internet (although per Viofo support, this will come to A119 Mini 2 in the future).
  • Rear camera is significantly smaller and discreet (compared to the A119 Mini 2 at the rear).
  • Max bitrate option (A119 mini 2 doesn't have this option)

Back