Mini 0806 parking guard bug and some opinions

DedaStojko

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I've installed dash cam few days ago and it works fine (hardwired it with a car). Overall I'm happy with the quality of device and recorded materials. I do have some issues with SD card, but it's mainly because it's a no name cheap brand. I'll soon order Samsung 64Gb EVO SDXC from Ebay.

I've noticed that camera has some recording problems with parking guard turned on (my is set up on LOW).
What happens is that once I enter the car and close the door, because of vibrations parking guard is activated. If I start the ignition during PG recording session, camera will not continue to record when PG recording session ends. PG will shut down the camera completely. This means that none of the leds are activated, even power led is not turned on although cam is powered from the car directly. If PG option is turned off or if I wait for PG to end before starting the ignition, this doesn't happen and camera works fine. I hope this issue will be fixed in next firmware upgrade.

It would be nice to have an option to turn off annoying chime sounds too (or to turn off all notifications sounds from camera). I had mini0801 before and I miss that feature a lot.

As for the CPL filter usage, I cannot find good rotation angle to eliminate reflections from the windshield. I tried recommended positions but it didn't work for me. Has anyone succeeded to completely remove the reflections?

Last edited:
I adjusted mine by just holding the lens on it's own and just looked through it at a reflection on my window indoors & noted where the index line was when the best reflection free image was visible. Then put in onto the camera with the index line in position & hey presto, reflection free almost. Simple effective method.

Thanks for a tip Sharky, it's much better now, reflection is almost gone. I've noticed that windshield is quite dirty from the inside and maybe that is a part of the problem too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to check, but I think it's close to "2 o'clock" position...
CP filter I have on my DSLR lens does better job with reflection, BUT it's much more expensive :)
The filter should be just about as good as your DSLR one, it's just that the very wide angle of the lens means that when you have it set at the correct angle for the centre of the image, ie vertically polarised, it is at slightly the wrong angle for the sides and so you do still get faint reflections at the edges of the image.

The parking guard problem is well known, we are waiting for a firmware update.

The sounds can be modified, to silence if you wish, by editing the firmware.

Well, mine 0806 does not work with these cards.
You can reed my problems here.
Did you manage to find a card that works fine with your cam? Is there any card that works 100% with 806?
I have some cheap class 10 wannabe card... It's more like class 4 regarding the speed. Most of the time it fails to format properly with SD Formatter.
90% of time camera records fine; in 30 minutes of recording time one 3 minute loop is not recorded. I know that because camera makes annoying warning sound every time it fails to record. That sound scared the s***t out of me first time I've heard it :)

I was able to try only Kingston 32GB card after Samsung.
Seems 0806 works well with that Kingston. But I am not sure it will with 64Gb.
But I can't recommend only that one. Perhaps problems are not related to all Mini's.

It would be Very nice, if Rayman could make a list of suggested and working memory cards.

I know that because camera makes annoying warning sound every time it fails to record. That sound scared the s***t out of me first time I've heard it :)
I enjoyed creating that sound :D

(It was meant to wake you up when the LDWS sees you drift off the road!)

The mini 0806 works with nearly all cards, the Samsung Evo is normally good, a lot of people use them and Spoks is about the only person who has had issues, don't know why. I have had one in my 0803 for nearly a year with no issues.

You could look at the Samsung Pro, for an MLC card it is a real bargain at times, should have twice the lifespan of a normal card yet is only a little more that the Evo if you can find a cheap one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291421534821 It is also a lot faster than the Evo, about 6 times faster for writing!

The mini 0806 works with nearly all cards, the Samsung Evo is normally good, a lot of people use them and Spoks is about the only person who has had issues, don't know why. I have had one in my 0803 for nearly a year with no issues.
There are others too who posted problems with Samsung cards. Perhaps there are no problems on 0803, perhaps there are no problems on 0806 batch 1, or perhaps there are differences between your card in speed class and capacity.

[

Probably true, but the typical user that posts here in the 0806 forum seems to be perfectly capable of doing it :)

Firmware editor thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/app-aft-1-3-2-ambarella-firmware-editor.6029/

Not true at all.
I have no ability to rewrite firmware & no desire to learn how.
It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to upgrade their own product and pass the new firmware on to the end user
Where I come from that is called Customer Service

[

Not true at all.
I have no ability to rewrite firmware & no desire to learn how.
It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to upgrade their own product and pass the new firmware on to the end user
Where I come from that is called Customer Service

I agree, in fact more and more posts are beginning to look like that. The average user just wants to buy a dashcam, plug it in, and expect it to function the way it was advertised. Perhaps this forum is getting too 'techie'. I frown when I see a question from a new user asking about blurred video and is told to 'rotate the lens'. Yeah right.

I agree, in fact more and more posts are beginning to look like that. The average user just wants to buy a dashcam, plug it in, and expect it to function the way it was advertised. Perhaps this forum is getting too 'techie'.
it's a mistake to assume what capabilities someone has when handing out advice as often happens

I frown when I see a question from a new user asking about blurred video and is told to 'rotate the lens'. Yeah right.

I think this goes hand in hand with some of the unsupported product purchased directly out of China that some users like to promote as the ideal product that is really a lot less than it should be, if you buy a Mobius and have to refocus the lens I don't think that's such a big deal as it's actually setup for that, for anything else though it shouldn't have to happen, reality says focus problems can happen, nobody is exempt as it's a manual process and human error is a factor, when the product has no real support though it becomes a problem

Back