Mini 0806 wont turn on?!

They've responded very quickly and are forwarding my message to the manufacturer and will get back to me. If it doesn't get resovled in a week ill just ship it back to amazon.

@ Steve Askew ....... By UK law any product has to be of merchantable quality and you could argue that a product costing close to £90 should not breakdown after just over 6 months. If you get no joy from the seller then lodge an online claim in the small claims court. I think giving a 6 month warranty on a £90 camera is a joke and I am sure so will the courts.

I actually ordered a replacement battery from eBay to get it quicker. It was US8. When the other one arrives from China, I'll store it as a spare for when (not if) one of the other batteries go. Chances are, by then, I'll be ready to dump these in favor of the newest 4k (or 8k) cameras ;)

Do you have a link to the battery you purchased?

@ Steve Askew ....... By UK law any product has to be of merchantable quality and you could argue that a product costing close to £90 should not breakdown after just over 6 months. If you get no joy from the seller then lodge an online claim in the small claims court. I think giving a 6 month warranty on a £90 camera is a joke and I am sure so will the courts.

Just checked my emails today Got one from JooVoo saying they have closed my case Great thanks for telling me. here is the email

Dear Steven Askew,

Your support ticket "Faulty Item" has been updated to a
Closed/Resolved status.

Ticket tracking ID: MJ8-VGU-N***

You can view the
status of your ticket
here:
https://www.joovuu.com/contact/ticket.php?track=MJ8-VGU-N162&Refresh=6****

Sincerely,

JooVuu
https://www.joovuu.com
No explanation or a yes or no on getting it fixed that,s good customer support
As for going through a small claims court, wouldn't that cost me more than a replacement camera?

Partly on prompting from RM, I just swapped my battery. It took <10 min.

upload_2015-9-1_9-50-36.png

It sure looks like the original battery was punctured/crushed during the assembly.

upload_2015-9-1_9-51-6.png

I went ahead an ordered 4 more batteries (for USD15.00) from China. Now that I've done that, I'll never need them again (cheap insurance, as I see it).

The replacement battery was low, and even indicated "low battery" but still stayed on for at least a minute (which passes the 5 seconds of run time of the original after full charge). I've got it charging now, but suspect this will be the end of this unit's flakiness.

erkme73, do you think there's enough room to install some small connectors so you don't have to re-solder the wires every time a battery needs to be replaced?

Internally, doubtful. Just keep in mind that baring some premature failure, you should get at least a year (or more) of service life from the batteries. Chance are, by the time the next one fails, it'll be time to upgrade the camera to the latest version.

The soldering is not difficult. The terminals to which the wires are soldered are large, and easy to get to with even a standard soldering iron. You have to have steady hands and decent eyes.

Trickier was getting the two internal boards to separate. There are three multi-pin harnesses keeping them together. While technically I think you can replace the battery w/o separating them, it's easier to get the new battery installed (especially if you're applying adhesive (double-stick tape in my case) to the new battery. Pulling the boards apart has to be done methodically and slowly so as not to stress any one of the harnesses too much. Sounds daunting, but if you take your time, and go slow, it's no challenge.

Hey guys.

Had my mini 0806 for a week now. Originally had it on cig lighter. But this morning hardwired it in all was working perfectly. Was playing around with motion detection etc then came back to the car later on and the camera wouldn't turn on.

The blue LED is light up saying its charging but the screen won't turn on. Ive tried holding the power button and other buttons etc. But nothing works. tried a few different cables etc. Stil nothing.

Any ideas guys! THanks.
Simon
I have the same problem. This is the second camera I have had with the same a problem . I had the camera hard wired by a auto electrician soshould not have been a problem. I am about to get the third camera but will not hard wire it. If this one doesn't work I will have to write it off as a bad buy.

I went ahead an ordered 4 more batteries (for USD15.00) from China. Now that I've done that, I'll never need them again (cheap insurance, as I see it).

while it's cheap anyway don't be surprised if you come to use them at a later date and some of the spares have failed already from just sitting around, shelf life is generally not good on these, they need to be used

while it's cheap anyway don't be surprised if you come to use them at a later date and some of the spares have failed already from just sitting around, shelf life is generally not good on these, they need to be used

I fully expect that, but with them costing USD4 each, it's a gamble I can afford. Interestingly enough, I had an old shoe box full of old 300ma LiPO batteries that I used extensively on my UDI mini quadcopter from 2+ years ago. Recently, I gave all the small drones to a friend (I've upgraded to the various DJI models) - and charged a few of the batteries for him. When demonstrating/teaching him how to fly them, I was surprised to see that the batteries all worked as good as new (flying for 5-7 minutes). I would have thought, given their age and lack of use, they would have ballooned out and failed. But they hadn't... They're just slightly thicker than the ones in the 0806, else I would have used them.

From the drone forums, the consensus seems to be that LiPO batteries fail more quickly if they're kept a constantly full charge. In fact, DJI has updated the firmware in the controllers installed in each battery that will automatically self-discharge the battery to 50% if it has been at 100% for more than 3 days. My initial "smart" batteries I had for my Phantom Plus ($130/per battery) failed after just 8 months. I didn't know not to store them full. The battery swelled and died. DJI refused to warranty them (only 6 month warranty on the batteries, anyway). Lesson learned.

The replacement 0806 battery that arrived today was nearly depleted (according to the battery symbol and the 'low battery' warning on the 0806). When I get the other spares in, I'll make sure they're not fully charged, and will put them in storage.

A far more likely scenario is that by the time another battery fails, I'll have forgotten about these four spares (or will have misplaced them) - and will end up ordering more. That' s the way I roll, unfortunately.

Simon
I have the same problem. This is the second camera I have had with the same a problem . I had the camera hard wired by a auto electrician soshould not have been a problem. I am about to get the third camera but will not hard wire it. If this one doesn't work I will have to write it off as a bad buy.

That's really disappointing to read. Normally I'm the one who has the blackest cloud overhead. If these things are really so failure prone, I can't believe how fortunate I was to have 9 perfect units. Granted, I had one failed battery, and a GPS mount that had a bad contact, but nothing like what you guys are describing.

Given that you have a seller willing to work with you, and the shipping costs are something you can overlook, swapping them out seems to be the easiest path. But, the tinkerer in me would want to take it apart to figure out what's wrong. Whether it's a cable that's pinched/cut/pulled off of the board, a battery that's defective/punctured, or a mount with poor contacts, I enjoy the challenge of figuring it out. Plus, if it's a systemic QA problem with the manufacturer, me fixing it will solve the problem, vs. inheriting another problem-laden device.

One thing is for sure... if I had seen all these complaints, I likely would have put the brakes on my purchase of 9 units. For now, however, I have zero buyer's remorse. I just wish you guys didn't have all that grief...

It's been on the charger all day, recording. I shut it off about 8p, and the blue LED was on ever since. I just now turned it on, w/o the charger hooked up, and the battery icon showed about 1/3 full. So in 4 hours of charging, it didn't reach full capacity. It ran, screen on, recording, for about 4 min, then shut down after 'low battery' warning.

I have to verify what USB cable I used, as it may still be a weak one that only charges at 500ma. I'll let it charge overnight, paying particular attention to whether the blue LED goes out by morning.

I just attached my USB power meter in-line, and found some interesting numbers:

Recording w/screen on: 700ma
Recording w/screen off: 650ma
On, w/screen & recording off: 575ma
Off, charging: 250ma

Screen = 50ma
Recording = 75ma
Idle = 325ma
Charging = 250ma

So it would appear that the charging load is limited to - 250ma. And that's with a depleted battery. I'm sure that'll taper off as the battery reaches capacity. I don't know how long it should take to charge a 300ma battery, but those are the numbers.

The "idle" current rating assumes that the charging circuit is limited to 250ma, whether the camera is on or off. That might not be the case. Once the battery is fully charged, I will verify the idle current again.

Last edited:
Yes, it was. But this BP402030 300ma battery I installed is the same one others have used with success.

Back