Mirror dashcam with rear cam from legit company?

JohnnyG

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a minivan with the rear closed off so my rearview mirror is a boat anchor anyway. Wanted a dashcam mainly to catch jerks putting dings in it so need parking mode with a rear cam... And want the display to function as a rearview mirror.
Bought a vantop h612t at best buy last night it wouldnt read the 128gb card after format the card was an upper level sandisk brand new. Went to vantops site for help turns out they dont make any mirror cams any more and support is nonexistent so this goes back tomorrow. Theres enough sketchy reviews on best buy Im not gonna waste my time with this.

Went to amazon theres lots of chinese fly by night brands with weird names and i dont trust reviews. Many look like the same cameras rebranded.

Any legit brands held in high regard here?

On a slightly different subject is it typical for any dash cams to be unable to self format their sd cards? I dont have a computer at this time and all my digital cameras format from the playback menu. This did not and it seems it wants an sd formatted to fat32 all the way up to 128gb which is not the norm.

Most RVM cameras are usually poor quality chinese ones with limited support, if you want a legitimate parking mode you'll have to look at reputable brands like viofo blackvue or thinkware etc. You can format most dash cam SD cards within the camera or with an app and some thinkware cameras have format free technology

Thanks for your reply. Looks like all the RVM dashcams I could find were sketchy so I moved on from that solution and ordered a thinkware x1000. Best buy refunded the vantop purchase no questions asked. To vantops credit their install instructions insisted you plug in and formst before the actual install so no lost effort there.
I was also surprised that almost all the dashcams that connected to smart phones from legit companies had so many bad reviews. So the x1000 is pretty simple but hopefully that means no hassles.

Back