Missing footage

bigjezza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My A129 Pro often misses footage with no warning.
Entire drives are missing. For example my drive about an hour ago home from the shops.
What is the point of this thing?
Its completely unacceptable.
Who else is experiencing this?

Also, format the memory card using the SD Memory Card Formatter and then format it again in the camera.

What memory card are you using? And have you formated it in the camera yet?

My A129 Pro often misses footage with no warning.
Entire drives are missing. For example my drive about an hour ago home from the shops.
What is the point of this thing?
Its completely unacceptable.
Who else is experiencing this?

That's ... really concerning and not good.

I pulled my SD card for the first time today. Had 3 night trips so far.

@bigjezza For me nothing is missing or any visible skips, problems, beeps etc. so far. Looks fine to me at this stage on my 3 night trips. I am not using parking mode so far, just normal recording at maximum quality and bitrate front and rear, 30 FPS with 2 minute video chunks. Audio is nice and clear. I am running a WD Purple 256GB Surveillance video class high endurance U3, V30 card. Camera firmware v1.1.

Perhaps try a U3/V30 high speed and video grade high endurance SD card like mine and check you have good and solid voltage and ground / connections to the camera as well run the latest firmware. Just trying to think of some suggestions for the drop in recordings. A factory reset also might clear any 'issues' the camera is having as a final step. Ensure WiFi is off and remove your Bluetooth remote control locking button from the car so it doesn't connect. See if anything improves.

With that said this has been my experience so far for night quality:

The rear camera can see peoples faces and plates of the car behind me when stationary with a tinted window at night - that's rather good. Kinda bad motion blur when moving though. Street lights create a lot of 'flare' (front and rear cams) if that is the correct way to say it.

One big thing: At night the front cannot capture any license plates when there is any movement. Either they are blown out from headlights or just blurry. There is a lot of motion blur on paused frames shown on plates and street signs. My A119 Pro does a better job in this regard. That aspect is disappointing for me on the A129 Pro Duo. I expected some plate capture when moving but nothing really.

I will say you can see a lot at night on the front cam - plenty of vision (great!), just a lack of details / clarity on signs and plates.

Footage is also more grainy on the A129 Pro than my A119 Pro at night. Like a high ISO grainy effect. It is a brighter picture than the A119 Pro but that dashcam has a CPL fitted.

I am yet to install the CPL on the front - hope it helps. I am considering running an A119 V3 along side the A129 Pro for night drives but I shouldn't really have to. I know the 4K dashcams are generally poor at night but yeah I had some hope it would capture night plates like my A119 Pro does in my other car.

Now I also get some DAB interference since the install. I took care to route the rear camera cable down the opposite side of the car away from the DAB gear. I use to have rock solid reception now it drops out under semi open carparks which it did not do before.

Last edited:
Its a brand new Samsung Evo Plus 256GB.
I have updated firmware.
Yes I have formatted with SDCard formatter and in the camera.
Its when it gets full that I seem to have problems. Today the wife told me it was beeping quite a lot and yeah sure enough missing footage!
Its hardwired in with the HK3.
I'll try disabling parking mode. Its quite frustrating that I cant rely on this.
Edit: I've reseated the fuse taps and ground connector just to be sure, (thanks for the suggestion OzAdam) formatted again in SD Formatter, then in camera. Reset to default, changed timezone and bitrate to max. Left everything else as is. No parking mode, just plain simple recording... Now I wait for it to fill again.

Last edited:
Check if you have boot delay on. Set it to 5 seconds and try again. I have heard this solving similar issues.

That card isn't designed for dashcams. It may be causing problems for you. It could also be fake - you can't tell by eye or 'disk info'. Test it correctly with H2testw. Find info here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dubious-memory-card-check-it-with-h2testw.5195/

My card hasn't filled yet so I will let you know soon as it does what happens.

I have updated firmware.
Its when it gets full that I seem to have problems. Today the wife told me it was beeping quite a lot and yeah sure enough missing footage!
I'll try disabling parking mode. Its quite frustrating that I cant rely on this.
Edit: I've reseated the fuse taps and ground connector just to be sure, (thanks for the suggestion OzAdam) formatted again in SD Formatter, then in camera. Reset to default, changed timezone and bitrate to max. Left everything else as is. No parking mode, just plain simple recording... Now I wait for it to fill again.
Which parking mode where you using? And what loop recording setting?

As far as I know, that is a good card to use, and I guess it is a real one, have you checked it with h2testw?
And can you confirm that it is was formatted in FAT32 format when you had the problem?

Please check if the card is FAT32 format.
If you are using exFat, it may casue some looping recording issue.

Yeah I've checked it with h2testw
I had it set to 3 minute loops when it was getting full, beeping, and missing recordings. The parking modes I tried were low bitrate and 10fps with the same results.
I cant really confirm at the time it was fat32, there is a small chance I'd used SDFormatter without formatting in camera. But its in there now as FAT32, and I'm eager to see if this happens once its full of purely driving mode footage.
Right now its the standard 1 min loop and no parking mode, its half full.

The rear camera can see peoples faces and plates of the car behind me when stationary with a tinted window at night - that's rather good. Kinda bad motion blur when moving though. Street lights create a lot of 'flare' (front and rear cams) if that is the correct way to say it.

One big thing: At night the front cannot capture any license plates when there is any movement. Either they are blown out from headlights or just blurry. There is a lot of motion blur on paused frames shown on plates and street signs. My A119 Pro does a better job in this regard. That aspect is disappointing for me on the A129 Pro Duo. I expected some plate capture when moving but nothing really.

Try using Dashcam viewer it has a good pause and zoom function, lots of registration codes available to make it a full copy ;)

The comment wasn't aimed at you...maybe the other person can make their own mind up :)

The comment wasn't aimed at you...maybe the other person can make their own mind up :)
Why would you even make such a suggestion if you didn't think it was proper? :(

I have updated firmware.
Is it the Samsung EVO Plus U3 or U1? If it is the U1 it will not keep up with the high write speeds and will crash. A bad thing for Samsung is that they made packaging of both type of cards almost identical in color and it is very easy to mistake between the two. It happened to me before and had to issue an exchange later. Now I read specs closely when I look at this cards at the store.
I use Samsung evo plus 128 u3 and have had no issues with it so far and I have checked my footage every day to ensure It haven’t missed a bit but seriously considering a 256gb for the longer trips as I found out that with 4k, storage goes very fast.

but seriously considering a 256gb for the longer trips
You can turn the bitrate down for the longer trips, it still does a good job at 30Mb/s.

You can turn the bitrate down for the longer trips, it still does a good job at 30Mb/s.
That’s a viable option.(y)

Try using Dashcam viewer it has a good pause and zoom function, lots of registration codes available to make it a full copy ;)
I find viewing with Dashcam Viewer or VLC has little effect on the captured quality. I wouldn't expect any difference to be honest. I have tried both programs and there was no improvement.

There is plenty of motion blur both day and night. I get plates on my A119 Pro 90% of the time during the day and so far 20% on the 4K Pro Duo model. I just installed a CPL and dropped the front EV to -1/3. I will review the footage and see there is any improvement.

So far the A129 Pro Duo creates a fantastic quality overall video, but important details such as plates and small street signs are unreadable in both day and night. I hope this is improved with firmware.
If I pause video with the A119 Pro plates are sharp and clear. On the A129 Pro it’s a soft illegible blur.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have purchased John's software earlier this year. It is very reasonably priced at a once off cost of $25USD. Software development is difficult so he should be compensated for what is considered quality software. The Google Maps GPS feature is really cool as well as the dual channel playback feature.

Or you could actually pay for the program and use it legally.

Agreed. It is only $25 for the software - well worth it.

With parking mode off and the reset, all is OK. No beeping, no missing journeys.
I did notice Viofo shared 1.2 Firmware with parking mode fixes... I'll update to that and enable parking mode and see how it goes.

No luck. Still missing, for instance, parking mode from today 1630 right through to now (its about 1800). Not to mention a bunch of bright pixels. Like must be 30. Not happy. All existing before the update too.

Back