Mobile wifi hotspot.

kellywelly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forums :)
I'm using a Blackvue DR750S-2CH. I am wanting to fit/connect a mobile wifi hot spot in the car, so the cams can always be viewed. Can anyone recommend a good mobile hot spot that I can fit?
There are hundreds on Amazon that I've looked at, but dont want to buy something that is over kill, just something that will do the job.
As I'll be fitting a data only sim, is a 4GB sim a month enough?

Regards.

I don't know one to recommend, just want to give some hints to have in mind:
- Think on how you will power the hotspot (placement, cables, accessibility, etc)
- you might want to consider to leave the mobile hot spot working while in parking mode. for this think on a continuous power supply for the hot spot and how you protect the battery car in case of long term consumption.
- take a look on the temperatures supported by the mobile hotspot. Especially if it has an internal battery. Sometimes in the summer I can have up to 60 degrees Celsius, which is not safe for a Li-Ion battery ...
- If you will hide it somewhere, a useful feature (mine doesn't have) for the hot spot is to start automatically when it gets power, to avoid pressing the "Start button" each time after you start the engine after a long time of innactivity when the hotspot is for sure off.

Although I can't directly answer this question and temporarily setting aside the great advice from Adi, it would be worthwhile trying to find out how much mobile data the video would use.

4GB/month doesn't sound anywhere near enough to me when you consider that the 750 2CH will fill a 16GB card in 55 mins at 'highest' resolution and 4 hours at its lowest res.
https://www.blackvue.com/video-quality-settings-and-recording-time/

Having said that, I believe that the cam doesn't upload at full res over WiFi, but the files will still be a 'bit on the big side'. More research needed into mobile data consumption methinks.
You could try uploading some BV video using your mobile phone as a hotspot with a mobile data logger app running thereon.

4GB/month? It depends.

I have DR900S which spams one event after another (24/7) and uses "Event Auto-upload". Sometimes i'm able to max-out the liveview or the 100views limit (low res) of the freeplan and when i need full-resolution footage, i download it via direct connection (most of the time). And 4GB is about ok for me (could be 5GB, though).

Your main concern about AP in a car should definitely to be able to start automatically by itself when it gets power. (otherwise it'll be super annoying - trust me :p )

Huawei E8372

Last edited:
Set the hotspot of your choice to use a battery pack. I use the B12 battery pack from Blackvue.
The hotspot will remain on while powered by the battery pack.
The battery pack should only be charged when the engine is running.
I use freedompop with a very basic netgear hotspot device.
I set the 750S to look for the home WiFi first before looking for the hotspot, so I don’t waste data.
The 750S is scheduled to reboot at a time I’m usually home. So it moves to the home WiFi automatically.
My Mac has a script that looks for the 750 in my network and downloads all videos automatically.
Automation will delete videos in my Mac older than 48 hours.
The folder where videos are downloaded is shared in my network so I can access them from other machines if needed.

This is all done to save data usage over the cloud and the limited downloads count set by the Koreans on their cloud service.

Start with a small amount of data plan. Upgrade if you find necessary but keep in mind after awhile you will grow tired of checking your videos and use less and less that feature. Look for downloading files automatically from your home network. It will be cheaper and much faster.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I have a mifi 8800l, the battery lasts 24 hours which is longer than the B-124 battery I use for the dash cam. I also have a 65W USB-PD / QC3.0 charger. For my 50-80 minute commute this works perfectly with plenty of battery left over. I keep the WiFi hotspot in my center console always plugged in and haven't had any issues in over a month. Most of the hotspots have settings to have it go into sleep mode when not in use. Once I'm in range of my home wifi the 750 switches automatically to that hotspot the mobile hotspot goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes. And it comes back on when I start my car and it starts to receive power from the charger. As for which hotspot to use your main concern should be which mobile provider has fast data coverage in the areas you plan to use it. Also consider your current cellphone provider as most times you can just add the hotspot onto your account. I rarely use more than 1gb a month, unless there are lots of events auto uploading and if you do some live streams. The one month I used the streaming a lot and even did a live YouTube stream of a 6 hour road trip I got to about 4gb. After a month, the new toy isn't as interesting and you will stream less.

I use a blackvue dr750s-2ch thats powered from a blackvue b-124 ultra battery. I have a hotspot (netgear unite 4g) with a tmobile sim thats powered from a blackvue b-112. I also dont trust li-ion batteries in hot weather so I paid the extra money to get a LiFePO4 battery for it. I have 10gb of usable hotspot data but I rarely go over 2gb since its basically only using data when I live view or download footage. For some reason, the auto-upload feature of blackvues doesnt work consistently.

In case you’re still looking I use a Huawei E5787 WiFi Hotspot. It has a 3000mAh battery and is plugged into a spare USB port in the car and recharges whilst driving. I leave it on when parked anywhere but home so the battery has plenty of charge for that. At home the dashcam connects to my home WiFi so I switch the hotspot off (if I remember) rather than it using both battery and data. As it really only gets used when parked away from home it doesn’t use much data because I only go onto the cloud if I get a notification from it (it is set to notify of any movement) and then I look at the live view to see what’s going on. Huawei have a newer model out now, E5885, with a 6400mAh battery which should last ages.

New to the forums :)
I'm using a Blackvue DR750S-2CH. I am wanting to fit/connect a mobile wifi hot spot in the car, so the cams can always be viewed. Can anyone recommend a good mobile hot spot that I can fit?
There are hundreds on Amazon that I've looked at, but dont want to buy something that is over kill, just something that will do the job.

Regards.
Sorry to drag up n old thread, but what device did you end up going with, and does it power up once it starts receiving power from the car without needing to hit a power button?

And for others who run a hotspot in their car, does your unit power on when the car starts supplying power to the device without you hitting a power button each time you turn on the car?

If so, what unit do you have?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back