Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

Hi, my Mobius 2 arrived some days ago And i am wondering, what is the best configuration/setup for using the Mobius as a dash cam? Pictures/movies I have seen above in this tread was great I think. It would be nice if someone (better then me) could upload some screenshots of the configuration.
Welcome to DCT @Kalahara. I'll post some screenshots tonight of the configuration I've used for my M2 testing.

This is my current M2 configuration that I used throughout testing the recent Firmware 2.14 update. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your own camera. The position in the car, plus the car colour and amount of internal reflection will vary from one setup to another, so you may get better results by fine-tuning some of the parameters. I have not included the Misc Settings or Photo Mode screens as I do not use these functions on the M2.

1515717704607.png
1515717815473.png
1515717842255.png
1515717877627.png

Hi, thanks a lot! At work for the moment, seeing forward to test this out later. Will get back to you with a report!

Hi TonyM,

Used your tip for configuration and here is the result from when i was driving home after work. As you see it`s very dark outside with some snow in the air, but i thought the images was pretty good after all. The pictures became a little more grainy when using screen capture on the computer. WDR was off in the configuration.
Watching the recordings on the computer was realy uplifting. Daylight test next. Thanks for your support so far! (y)

2018-01-12 (16).png

2018-01-12 (17).png

2018-01-12 (15).png

2018-01-12 (10).png

Unfortunately, I am back on the forum after sometime without issues. Today I noticed my Mobius2 has failed on me recently, and the video is no longer usable due to the lens being out of focus. I opened up the camera and have adjusted the lens in and out through trial and error to try and get the picture sharp again. I cannot get it to become any clearer so I am looking for replacement options. Is there anywhere that sells the lens units so I can swap in a new one?

Unfortunately, I am back on the forum after sometime without issues. Today I noticed my Mobius2 has failed on me recently, and the video is no longer usable due to the lens being out of focus. I opened up the camera and have adjusted the lens in and out through trial and error to try and get the picture sharp again. I cannot get it to become any clearer so I am looking for replacement options. Is there anywhere that sells the lens units so I can swap in a new one?

Hi, maybe you can find the parts you need here?
https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/accessories/camera-parts/

Can't seem to find any there for the m2, all either have instructions only for an original Mobius, or specifically say they are not for the Mobius 2.

You can buy a variety of replacement lens modules for the M2 directly from Mobius via their primary eBay Seller Eletoponline365.

It's unfortunate that Mobius put out a "new and improved" version of the original Mobius1 that doesn't have web cam mode. Nevertheless, there is something you can try before you spend money on a new lens module for your M2 just so you can have a camera that is in focus.

Using the FPV wiring harness that came with your M2, hook the camera up to an HDTV using the supplied AV-out RCA plug. Any standard RCA to RCA cable between the M2 wiring harness and the AV input on your TV will work, the longer the better to facilitate ease of working with the tethered camera.

While this method is inferior to focusing a Mobius via web cam mode on your computer it will work to allow you focus the camera visually and accurately. This will be easier and work best when you point the camera at a high contrast scene with sharp edged objects in bright light.

If this doesn't work for you, then consider buying a replacement module from Mobius.

Lens A Module Horizontal FOV 130° IR Filter for Mobius 2

Lens B Module FOV About 95° IR Filter for Mobius 2

Lens C Module for 1080P 60FPS Mobius 2

Last edited:
You can buy a variety of replacement lens modules for the M2 directly from Mobius via their primary eBay Seller Eletoponline365.

It's unfortunate that Mobius put out a "new and improved" version of the original Mobius1 that doesn't have web cam mode. Nevertheless, there is something you can try before you spend money on a new lens module for your M2 just so you can have a camera that is in focus.

Using the FPV wiring harness that came with your M2, hook the camera up to an HDTV using the supplied AV-out RCA plug. Any standard RCA to RCA cable between the M2 wiring harness and the AV input on your TV will work, the longer the better to facilitate ease of working with the tethered camera.

While this method in inferior to focusing a Mobius via web cam mode on your computer it will work to allow you focus the camera visually and accurately. This will be easier and work best when you point the camera at a high contrast object with sharp edges in bright light.

If this doesn't work for you, then consider buying a replacement module from Mobius.
Lens A Module Horizontal FOV 130° IR Filter for Mobius 2

Lens B Module FOV About 95° IR Filter for Mobius 2

Lens C Module for 1080P 60FPS Mobius 2

Thanks dashmellow! Those lenses are just what I needed. I'll toy around with the RCA output if I can find those cables, but I'm likely getting the new lens as I think there is something wrong beyond the focus. Do you happen to know the difference between the A and C lens? They both look to be 130 degree fov and unless I missed something the eBay descriptions don't mention any differences either.

Thanks dashmellow! Those lenses are just what I needed. I'll toy around with the RCA output if I can find those cables, but I'm likely getting the new lens as I think there is something wrong beyond the focus. Do you happen to know the difference between the A and C lens? They both look to be 130 degree fov and unless I missed something the eBay descriptions don't mention any differences either.

I would drop Eletoponline365 a note and ask them to clarify before placing an order. For some reason, Mobius is often cagey about the lens specs of their modules so take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

Anyway, as far as I understand, the M2 "A" lens has a focal length of 3.0mm and an aperture of ƒ/2.4. The M2 "C" lens has a focal length of 2.6mm and an aperture of ƒ/2.8, assuming those specs are accurate. I believe the "C" is better corrected for barrel distortion based on a prototype that was sent to me for testing which appears quite similar to the one on eBay but I have no way to know for sure.

I would drop Eletoponline365 a note and ask them to clarify before placing an order. For some reason, Mobius is often cagey about the lens specs of their modules so take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

Anyway, as far as I understand, the M2 "A" lens has a focal length of 3.0mm and an aperture of ƒ/2.4. The M2 "C" lens has a focal length of 2.6mm and an aperture of ƒ/2.8, assuming those specs are accurate. I believe the "C" is better corrected for barrel distortion based on a prototype that was sent to me for testing which appears quite similar to the one on eBay but I have no way to know for sure.
Alright, I've sent him an email for specifics and will await a response. Do you have any personal preference between the different lenses you've tried?

Alright, I've sent him an email for specifics and will await a response. Do you have any personal preference between the different lenses you've tried?

Given the similarity in focal lengths I think I would opt for the faster ƒ/2.4 lens over the ƒ/2.8 for use in an M2 dash cam. Reduced barrel distortion is nice to have but in this instance the modest improvement is probably of more interest and value to RC enthusiasts than to dash cam users. Keep in mind what I said about the fact that the alternative lens for sale on eBay may not be the same as the one I tested, so results may be different.

Normally M2 comes with standard A lens ( ƒ/2.4 ).

Hi TonyM,

Used your tip for configuration and here is the result from when i was driving home after work. As you see it`s very dark outside with some snow in the air, but i thought the images was pretty good after all. The pictures became a little more grainy when using screen capture on the computer. WDR was off in the configuration.
Watching the recordings on the computer was realy uplifting. Daylight test next. Thanks for your support so far! (y)

I'm using similar configuration as TonyM's one. Except below changes,

Mode 1 > Video Frame Rate > 30 fps
Video Data Rate > Highest

Advanced Image Settings > Sharpness > 60
Exposure > -35
Color Options > Warmer
White Balance > Snow
Exposure Metering > Center Spot

It did reduce a lot grainy at night.

Exposure > -35
Color Options > Warmer
White Balance > Snow

Hi,
I`m gonna test the same settings for my Mobius later on today :)

Exposure > -35
Color Options > Warmer
White Balance > Snow

Hi,

Used your tip in addition to TonyM`s, but in my case it got more grainy when dark outside. I moved the camera around severeal times and the placement of the camera do have an a effect on the quality. Anyway, thanks for the tip :)

This is my current M2 configuration that I used throughout testing the recent Firmware 2.14 update. Feel free to use this as a starting point for your own camera. The position in the car, plus the car colour and amount of internal reflection will vary from one setup to another, so you may get better results by fine-tuning some of the parameters. I have not included the Misc Settings or Photo Mode screens as I do not use these functions on the M2.

View attachment 35616
View attachment 35618
View attachment 35619
View attachment 35620

Hi,
Some examples from daylight driving with the configuration above. The details are rather good i think.

2018-01-20 (1).png

2018-01-20 (2).png

2018-01-20 (3).png2018-01-20.png

I also noticed the Exposure Metering parameter do affect the night driving sence. I like the Center Sport which focus on the car at front.

I also noticed the Exposure Metering parameter do affect the night driving sence. I like the Center Sport which focus on the car at front.
After testing all the metering modes at length, I found that centre spot was often the best, although centre weighted is less sensitive to changes as each dark or light coloured car passes by.

Back