Mobius B (1.20 Low light) vs G90 (r441MP - HDR on) vs LS460W (EV-2) - Day

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
A bit of a strange test this one - basically I wanted to continue last nights testing where I had the EV turned down on the LS460W to improve night time numberplate reading to see how it fared in the day time.

Interestingly even with the EV turned right down it still bests the other two cameras in some situations.

The Mobius probably should have been angled down more but until my mounts arrive I'm a bit stuck as to how I can mount it - numberplate reading is still sharp which is important should you ever need it.

Anyway on to the pics.

Looks like LS460 is on the top followed by G90 and Mobius last.
G90 looks brighter so LS460 needs higher EV to match the light level.
As it is, LS460 looks little dark.

Mobius does look wider both horizontally and vertically but G90's quality is much better.
Buildings/bricks are more clear and cleaner than Mobius.
Mobius looks faded compared to G90 in the first post's screenshots.

To me LS460 has most natural colours.
Mobius has slightly dull colours.
G90 default brighness and contrast level is set higher than other two and maybe colour code is not most natural, but it's works exactly for dashcam purpose to read details in darker areas ( shadow areas ) as we see from tests. Similar tune-up has Panorama.
Mobius has widest FOV ( vertical horizontal as mentioned above ). LS460 has narrowest. G90 is in the golden middle where objects are not too close and not too far. Just about right distance.

You can see in some of those pics that the G90 has totally missed the plate - it struggles when there are trees are around by default, but I reckon with a tweaked bitrate which we can do with @Tobi@s software that would be better.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the A7la70 version of the G90 and seeing how that fares in comparison to this one - if they add GPS and a decent mount that could be a winner and at a good cost too!

G90 default brighness and contrast level is set higher than other two and maybe colour code is not most natural, but it's works exactly for dashcam purpose to read details in darker areas ( shadow areas ) as we see from tests. Similar tune-up has Panorama.
Mobius has widest FOV ( vertical horizontal as mentioned above ). LS460 has narrowest. G90 is in the golden middle where objects are not too close and not too far. Just about right distance.
Yes, G90 has natural looking video and very crisp.
May be you can do comparison of G90 against Panorama. ;)

You can see in some of those pics that the G90 has totally missed the plate - it struggles when there are trees are around by default, but I reckon with a tweaked bitrate which we can do with @Tobi@s software that would be better.
Yes, but even a slight angle changes light and reflection.
Same screenshot few milliseconds before and after also makes a license plate look different.

I noticed G90 screenshots with trees have a lot more dashboard reflection on the windshield than others that could be cleaner with less reflection so definitely there is angle and location difference.

From my experience, HDR off is better than on during the day so see if turning it off has better daytime clarity since HDR tends to make fine prints little fuzzy that is good at night but not so much in day.

Also, if you check the details in between the buildings that has shadow, G90 has brick details that Mobius and LS460 both don't have at all.

2-g90-jpg.7318

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the A7la70 version of the G90 and seeing how that fares in comparison to this one - if they add GPS and a decent mount that could be a winner and at a good cost too!

G90 "misses numberplate" is familiar issue in my car as well. It comes from dashboard centre grille reflection. Because G90 default brighness is higher than other tested and probably angle its positioned on windshield is not same as on others ( I mean they are side close to each other on your car windshield , but still every 5 degree may count ), there for unavoidable situation where due to dashboard grille reflection those nubmerplates are washed away in exactly that place where dashboard grille reflection covers numberplate. If you drive away from sun to avoid direct glare / reflection from dashboard grille, you will see there will be not "missed numberplates" on G90.
There are pros and cons of having higher default brightness. It gives more surrounding details readings but in difficult scenarios like dashboard grille reflection it may wash away numbperplates readings ( as can see from few of your photos ). I guess solution would be to cover dash with some non-reflecting cover or make DIY CPL filter for G90, but CPL filter has its own drawbacks. So I would go with dash cover :

DASHMAT is Made in Australia, - so quality is guaranteed ! ;)

G90 "misses numberplate" is familiar issue in my car as well. It comes from dashboard centre grille reflection. Because G90 default brighness is higher than other tested and probably angle its positioned on windshield is not same as on others ( I mean they are side close to each other on your car windshield , but still every 5 degree may count ), there for unavoidable situation where due to dashboard grille reflection those nubmerplates are washed away in exactly that place where dashboard grille reflection covers numberplate. If you drive away from sun to avoid direct glare / reflection from dashboard grille, you will see there will be not "missed numberplates" on G90.
There are pros and cons of having higher default brightness. It gives more surrounding details readings but in difficult scenarios like dashboard grille reflection it may wash away numbperplates readings ( as can see from few of your photos ). I guess solution would be to cover dash with some non-reflecting cover or make DIY CPL filter for G90, but CPL filter has its own drawbacks. So I would go with dash cover :

DASHMAT is Made in Australia, - so quality is guaranteed ! ;)
Haha... we think the same thing...

Yes, G90 has natural looking video and very crisp.
May be you can do comparison of G90 against Panorama. ;)

Yes, but even a slight angle changes light and reflection.
Same screenshot few milliseconds before and after also makes a license plate look different.

I noticed G90 screenshots with trees have a lot more dashboard reflection on the windshield than others that could be cleaner with less reflection so definitely there is angle and location difference.

From my experience, HDR off is better than on during the day so see if turning it off has better daytime clarity since HDR tends to make fine prints little fuzzy that is good at night but not so much in day.

Also, if you check the details in between the buildings that has shadow, G90 has brick details that Mobius and LS460 both don't have at all.

2-g90-jpg.7318

Hehe, you read my mind @ angle and dash reflection ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that VW grille plays havoc with noise reduction! I always found the Novetek cameras handled it better until I had the LS460W - maybe the focus of the lens was set so that the windshield was blurred slightly more to reduce the problem?

Yeah that VW grille plays havoc with noise reduction! I always found the Novetek cameras handled it better until I had the LS460W - maybe the focus of the lens was set so that the windshield was blurred slightly more to reduce the problem?

I also have VW, so this is familiar issue. CPL filter would solve issue, but I am lazy to remove it for night driving and some time can forget to remove it even if would not be lazy :). Thats why I am thinking in trying to buy DASHMAT.

The nice thing about about the Mobius is the ability to increase the saturation in the GUI if more vibrant colors are desired. I usually leave it at the default but maybe I will experiment with it to see if it might increase plate recognition.

Back