Mobius CPL Filter - DIY (Lens B - wide angle)

roxor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
2xMobius/ex:MD80,Aiptek,ZX1,RRHD1,mini0801,WF1,2xMarcus4
Nailed it. :D

Now, what you need:

1. The ring. You can find it in almost any door handle pack. Measure it before you buy it. Mine fits perfectly.
BXIMDZr.jpg
mTKlR3R.jpg

2. Circular Polarising Filter (CPL Filter). I've got mine from an old mobile phone LCD. You can also buy it from different sites. Just google Lcd Polarized Film.

3. Double sided adhesive tape. (not foam tape)
double_014_img_No.5302Aphoto_L.jpg

4. Paint. I tried to paint it with a black paint spray but it didn't stick to it. I also used sand papaer and plastic primer but....with same results. Afterall, my hero was a black CD marker. :D

The "hard" work:

First thing to do is painting. If you know how to paint plastic, paint it with spray...otherwise, use permanent marker. After it dries, it's time for the adhesive tape to kick in. Stick it to the ring and crop the excess from the edges and from the inside.
BuBWPWU.jpg

Now, stick the ring to the CPL film and, again, cut the excess from the edges.
a444zr6.jpg

P.S. If you've got the filter from a LCD, use Nitro diluent to wipe out the remaining glue on the filter.

And, the last steps, mont it to your mobius, calibrate it and enjoy your work. :D

Pics:
03MizMX.jpg

SBxrVu2.jpg

O8e5mb0.jpg

P.S.2 The white ring looks so obvious because of the camera flash. :p

Two videos from a friend who tried this "method".

If you've found other methods, feel free to post them here. :D

Last edited:
and what could act as a The Ring / cap for the standard lens (A)?

Nice work. I was wondering is that polarised filter material you've used as clear as the photos suggest? (Or has the flash simply made it appear clear?)

I'm running a filter on mine, but the tint is dark and it severely limits night time recording.

@murcod The flash made it appear so clear. :D
dvfAL1K.jpg

mv64brR.jpg

Here is the night comparison between 0.59 and 0.59 with CPL Filter on:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! :)

Unfortunately road lighting sucks in the suburbs where I live - so the hit in night performance is very noticeable. I've also got the A lens which isn't quite as good at night (from previous comparos I've seen.)

You can try to make a magnetic filter. When the night falls over the town, it is simply to take off. :D

Some pics with the difference it makes in a very bright (and hot) day:
hZ7eNqH.png

Sepm3nB.png

Mine is magnetic, but inevitably I don't get around to refitting it. It also needs to be rotated "just right" to block the reflections - I need to put a mark on the lens and Mobius case. It's on my "to do" list! :)

Back