Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

I purchased the same Small Rig cheese plate to use with the same ball joint mount so that I can run my M1 with 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 varifocal side by side with the Maxi and ƒ/1.5 Lens B lens. However, instead of using VHB tape to mount the camera to the cheeseboard I use 3M Dual-Lock Tape. This provides the ability to securely mount and adjust either camera forwards or backwards to compensate for each camera's coverage so that the longer varifocal lens doesn't end up in the FOV of the Maxi. To a certain extent you can also adjust the horizontal lateral angle of each camera left or right using Dual Lock tape. Of course, having the ability to securely mount and unmount cams to the cheeseboard at will is much easier than to having to contend with VHB tape. For example, you don't need to re-adjust the chesse plate orientation each time you remount the cameras.

With the Maxi, I apply the tape directly to the bottom of the camera, thus eliminating the cradle. With the M1, I keep a spare cradle on hand with Dual-Lock on the bottom that I've had in service for various projects for several years now. (like my baseball cap cam)

View attachment 41666
When I get towards the end of my roll of VHB tape, I'll look into buying some of that dual-lock tape :)

For years now, I've found it very handy to keep both VHB tape and Dual-Lock tape on hand. Most of the time they serve entirely different purposes. @TonyM, I would recommend going ahead and purchasing some now to experiment with. You may be surprised at the uses you find for it. It usually comes in a small package with a couple of patches a few square inches each, so it's not like buying a whole roll of VHB tape.

As I've mentioned before, for some odd reason, 3M now only sells the black Dual Lock tape with white adhesive which is slightly less stealthy than the old pure black stuff but it's possible to cover or blacken the edges. When I saw the transition happening I bought up a stash of the older product which certainly came in handy with the cheeseboard mount. There's also a clear version available.

If you want a non permanent fix, why not just use a suction cup? The Mobius ones only cost around £4 and are very similar to the fixture Dashmallow posted above.

They may both have tripod ball joint mounts but other than that they are not "similar". For one thing, the one I've posted above is quite a bit smaller both in stature and base footprint.

Suction mounts have their value and I use them occasionally but they tend to be problematic and limiting. You can't mount them on the frit for example so you'll have a less than stealthy installation. Suction mounts, even the better ones also have a bad habit of falling off at the most inopportune moments.

Last edited:
These are the cheapest 1/4" thread suction cup mounts I could find. A word of warning. I saw some reviews say that cheap suction cup mounts have had the suction cup turn into useless hard to clean up goo. Look for reviews. This warning may or may not apply to these exact mounts. This option gives adjustment in 2 planes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163156892671
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202344974401

If you look at the picture this mount uses only a partial ball. The ball is hollow with missing plastic that may prevent tightening up well. This mount might not work correctly for that reason.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253507292598

Maybe you want to hang your cam off a thin sun visor. Reviews say this type of model has limited adjustability for angle and some visors are to thick for this option to work. One review said this type of mount broke when trying to put it on a thicker visor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201884947859

Last edited:
If you want a non permanent fix, why not just use a suction cup? The Mobius ones only cost around £4 and are very similar to the fixture Dashmallow posted above.

I should have been more clear.... I use it to mount camera's, magnets, magnet plates to whatever I want, but NOT on the windshield, that's a big NONO for these sillicone pads. I also use it to get more grip on my phone, and to mount a magnetic plate on the phone. Besides in the Scania truck I don't mount on the windshield, but on the dashboard, with a self made metal clip and magnet.

Single camera mount:

IMG_20180914_121026065.jpgIMG_20180914_121048746.jpg

I use "the bridge" for more stability and for multi camera test setup:

IMG_20180914_121417405.jpg
IMG_20180914_121437181.jpg
IMG_20180914_121510091.jpg

And depending on the truck or my mood.... I use this one with the sticky fixate gel pad on the dashboard:

IMG_20180914_121638729.jpgIMG_20180914_121649427.jpgIMG_20180914_121726300.jpg

I use these mounts because of the very different dashboard shapes and positions in the truck, but most and for all, I don't have much time and need quick and clean install and de-install, and it has to be small in the bag, since I carry around enough as it is....

Last edited:
Please can we get back on-topic and talk about the Maxi?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Are there any specific features you would like to see improved / added to the Maxi, for dashcam or any other use? Please keep your suggestions reasonable - I don't think Mobius will make a $200 lens option available!
Wide angle no distortion lens please

They may both have tripod ball joint mounts but other than that they are not "similar". For one thing, the one I've posted above is quite a bit smaller both in stature and base footprint.

Suction mounts have their value and I use them occasionally but they tend to be problematic and limiting. You can't mount them on the frit for example so you'll have a less than stealthy installation. Suction mounts, even the better ones also have a bad habit of falling off at the most inopportune moments.

The Mobius ones are quite small, much smaller than others I've come across and so are relatively stealthy. But yes, suction mounts do let go occasionally if the screen dries out too much.

The Mobius ones are quite small, much smaller than others I've come across and so are relatively stealthy. But yes, suction mounts do let go occasionally if the screen dries out too much.

I have a Mobius suction mount too. As suction mounts go it's a good one and is indeed compact. The Mobius suction cup mount also has a nice quality black silicone cup which is what you want for stealthiness as compared to the milky clear ones in the links posted above by @country_hick which tend to draw attention to themselves from outside the vehicle.

I don't quite know what you mean by claiming that suction mounts let go because they "dry out too much". Many don't hold well because they are made with very cheap silicone and they can be "dry". Contrary to the "dries out too much" theory though, suction mounts often fall off due to moisture condensation on the glass which causes them to lose their vacuum seal. Another thing that can make them fall off is extreme cold weather that stiffens the silicone when frozen and this also causes the vacuum seal to fail. I've owned quite a collection of suction cup windshield mounts over the years so I can speak from experience. Experience has taught me to see suction mounts as useful for temporary short term installations which I consider to be different from "non permanent" longer term solutions. For a professional driver like @dirkzelf, I can see where the DIY solutions he's devised make good sense.

The adhesive attached mount you characterize as "similar' is significantly smaller than the Mobius suction mount. The only way to actually compare two mounts, especially for size is to have "hands-on-experience" with both of them as I've suggested to you about other topics you offer commentary on.

I've been using suction mounts for dashcams since 2012. I don't use anything else. In my experience, the constant use of aircon, which dehumidifies the air as a side effect (hence why you get puddles of water under the vehicle when it's parked as the compressors have a water hose outlet underneath to release the condensation), can result in the windscreen under the suction cup drying out and the suction being lost. This can usually be alleviated by wiping the suction cup with a damp cloth. For suction you need a small amount of moisture to create the air tight seal with the window. I'm not suggesting your experience is any way wrong, just that there can be differing causes, and in addition to the ones you mentioned, excessive dryness can be one.

I've been using suction mounts for dashcams since 2012. I don't use anything else. In my experience, the constant use of aircon, which dehumidifies the air as a side effect (hence why you get puddles of water under the vehicle when it's parked as the compressors have a water hose outlet underneath to release the condensation), can result in the windscreen under the suction cup drying out and the suction being lost. This can usually be alleviated by wiping the suction cup with a damp cloth. For suction you need a small amount of moisture to create the air tight seal with the window. I'm not suggesting your experience is any way wrong, just that there can be differing causes, and in addition to the ones you mentioned, excessive dryness can be one.

Not everyone lives in the same climate as you. Wiping with damp cloth? How long is that supposed to last? Good quality silicone shouldn't need such measures.

This "conversation" started because you recommended a Mobius suction mount claiming that it is "very similar to the fixture Dashmallow posted" when in fact it is not by any strech of the imagination, which I've tried to clarify twice now. Why do you always ignore such aspects of my replies to you?

I'm not ignoring you at all, but it's your opinion that suction mounts are rubbish. Plenty of people use them, plenty of people like them. I wouldn't consider sticking a 3M Pad based mount to my windscreen. They are very difficult to remove and the very security they give you is the very thing that endangers the glass if and when you need to remove them. Why risk $500-600 of windscreen for a $4 mount? But that's just my opinion. I can live with occassional failure of suction for the peace of mind in knowing I'm not risking $500-600 of my money down the line if I need to remove it. I have tried one, it was difficult to remove with a few unwelcome crunches of glass along the way. No harm done, but never again. It simply isn't worth it in my opinion for a little more security. But, we all have our own preferences.

As for it being nothing like the one you posted, they both have the same fittings and features except the for the flat plate. Can you mount a little closer to the screen? Yes but only a little. It's not a major difference. It's as I've said, it's each to their own. You hate suction mounts, I hate permanent mounts. We both have our reasons and our preferences, and both of our needs are fulfilled by different mounts. There isn't a 'right' answer, just preferences.

Half my cams use suction mounts in the work van; no A/C, hot humid summers, mild winters, mid-grade mounts. On windows exposed to sun I get 2-4 weeks. On side windows that are less exposed I get 3-6 weeks. On the painted metal above the window, never exposed to sunlight, I get 4-8 weeks. A clean surface on both sides is critical, and a bit of spit on the edges of the cup seems to work best so far. Water doesn't do half as well for me, and the same for greases and oils.Judging by the residue, my guess is that the spit hardens into any voids, then stays there while everything else remains viscous and eventually moves, breaking the seal. And I've never figured out the time-spread mentioned above, even when I do everything exactly the same there is a 100% variation regardless of weather. Residue clean-up is a beach though. Remembering the "barbecued Buick", it was a 2/3 to 2 week mounting, but that windshield got really hot sitting in the sun. I don't remember seeing it fall off in the fire though but it might have.

Phil
(added) I think every cam should be supplied with both suction and permanent mounts, or at least letting the customer choose which one they want.

Why risk $500-600 of windscreen for a $4 mount?

indeed, why not just leave the $4 mount on the window ;)

seriously though they can be removed quite easily, bit of a technique but not too hard, suction mounts do have their place and there are situations where it's the preferred method, for anything long term I personally prefer a 3M mount but do have the need to use 3M mounts from time to time

indeed, why not just leave the $4 mount on the window ;)

seriously though they can be removed quite easily, bit of a technique but not too hard, suction mounts do have their place and there are situations where it's the preferred method, for anything long term I personally prefer a 3M mount but do have the need to use 3M mounts from time to time

I'm not aware of a single report of anyone ever breaking or even scratching a windscreen removing a 3M VHB tape mount. Over the last eight years I've done it dozens of times as have many others here. I've lost count actually. Having dealt with three defective replacement windshields since July I've removed four 3M mounts including the original windshield that was replaced. Since the windshield was about to be replaced anyway I was especially careless about removing the mount for my GC but it came out unscathed anyway. I used a putty knife.

Here we have yet another example of someone who has never had experience with something making an incorrect blanket statement as if it were fact.

I'm not aware of a single report of anyone ever breaking or even scratching a windscreen removing a 3M VHB tape mount.

I've seen it happen, was the users fault but it can still happen, windscreen fitters do it daily without issue and they don't even need to be that careful with the old window but it's easier to get a mount off a window that isn't broken so I guess they still take a bit of care, do it right though and it's easy enough as you know

I've seen it happen, was the users fault but it can still happen, windscreen fitters do it daily without issue and they don't even need to be that careful with the old window but it's easier to get a mount off a window that isn't broken so I guess they still take a bit of care, do it right though and it's easy enough as you know

One would have to be seriously incompetant to break a windshield removing a mount, professional or not. It simply requires a little care and common sense.

Experience has taught me to see suction mounts as useful for temporary short term installations which I consider to be different from "non permanent" longer term solutions. For a professional driver like @dirkzelf, I can see where the DIY solutions he's devised make good sense.

Nice to see someone call me a professional truck driver, it's correct of course, but I've been jumping in this profession out of a hopeless situation, where this was the real only sensible option.... AND I LIKED IT, till this day.... What I'm actually saying is: "Thanks". For some reason this feels good.

Last edited:
I'm not ignoring you at all, but it's your opinion that suction mounts are rubbish. Plenty of people use them, plenty of people like them. I wouldn't consider sticking a 3M Pad based mount to my windscreen. They are very difficult to remove and the very security they give you is the very thing that endangers the glass if and when you need to remove them. Why risk $500-600 of windscreen for a $4 mount? But that's just my opinion. I can live with occassional failure of suction for the peace of mind in knowing I'm not risking $500-600 of my money down the line if I need to remove it. I have tried one, it was difficult to remove with a few unwelcome crunches of glass along the way. No harm done, but never again. It simply isn't worth it in my opinion for a little more security. But, we all have our own preferences.

As for it being nothing like the one you posted, they both have the same fittings and features except the for the flat plate. Can you mount a little closer to the screen? Yes but only a little. It's not a major difference. It's as I've said, it's each to their own. You hate suction mounts, I hate permanent mounts. We both have our reasons and our preferences, and both of our needs are fulfilled by different mounts. There isn't a 'right' answer, just preferences.

This is beginning to feel pathological. You have stated more than once that you don't wish to engage with me but repeatedly you mention me by name in posts that seem engineered to elicit a response from me. In this case you offered up factually misleading remarks about what I said, so you can be damn sure I will speak up with a correction.

Last week, I pointed out the inaccuracy of a statement another member made about a camera he reviewed. He replied, "Good catch, I've edited my post" and offered a brief explanation of how the mistake happened. I hit the like button on his reply. That was then the end of it. Not so with you...

With you it becomes a tedious, repetitive, insufferable argument where you make the argument about something tangential to the main point I've made. So, when I pointed out that the two mounts are not really "similar" in that one is substantially shorter and is vertical and the other is more massive, almost an inch taller and the ball and joint mount is on a default angle of 45º you engage in a multipost argument about suction cup mounts. And now you're accusing me of calling suction mounts "rubbish" something I never, ever said and in fact I characterized the Mobius mount stating that "it's a good one". Suction cup mounts have their place, I use them when needed and have for years, as I also mentioned but they do tend to fall off at inopportune moments regardless of the reason they let loose.

There's a word for what you are and what you do but I'll leave off here and hope we can move the thread forward without any more of this nonsense. But be forewarned, if you mention my name in a post with provocative, erroneous or misinformed remarks about what I say, you'll be hearing from me again.

Last edited:
Back