Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Thanks Tony.

One thing I've always found curious though, is why do Mobius always sell the cameras with battery and capacitor as an accessory? Wouldn't it make sense to offer it at the point of sale with either? Presumably there could be either 2 versions, or 1 version and the retailer just slips in the battery or capacitor as appropriate before dispatch.
Since the Maxi is being developed for dashcam use, I will suggest to Mobius that they consider a capacitor-only option for sale. They could also offer a dashcam package consisting of a camera, capacitor, 3m USB cable and adhesive screen mount.

Since the Maxi is being developed for dashcam use, I will suggest to Mobius that they consider a capacitor-only option for sale. They could also offer a dashcam package consisting of a camera, capacitor, 3m USB cable and adhesive screen mount.

That sounds like a sensible option and maybe more viable than a capacitor or battery option. It makes more sense to offer an RC option and a Dashcam package as in the latter they sell more goods so it's more viable.

Maybe they could offer a package with both a battery AND a capacitor for us more adventurous types who like to do various things with the Mobius?:)

Now that would be exactly what they should do, one could switch in or or out as he/she wished in a few minutes, maybe they will read and give some thought to what people want this time.:D:cool:

Also wondering if they modified the studs in the cradle to make opening the cradle a little less challenging this time.

Last edited:
Now that would be exactly what they should do, one could switch in or or out as he/she wished in a few minutes, maybe they will read and give some thought to what people want this time.:D:cool:

Also wondering if they modified the studs in the cradle to make opening the cradle a little less challenging this time.

I find that those little lugs in the cradle break in after repeated use. I think they make them extra secure for RC use.

I find that those little lugs in the cradle break in after repeated use. I think they make them extra secure for RC use.
They do, but it sure wouldn't hurt to give time a little boost, my index finger would appreciate it.:cool:

@Lola I'm sorry to say that the lugs in the new cradle are as stiff, or perhaps even more stiff, than those on the M1. However you can file them down a little bit until you get the resistance you want.

Regarding the battery, capacitor, screen mounts etc. Those are all fairly cheap items. Perhaps it really is better for Mobius to offer the same core product (with battery) to everyone, then let the owner choose the optional extras? The various resellers can of course choose to package things differently.

I agree. The cradle is hardly quick release so why not secure the cradle to the camera with a screw through the bottom. I'm sure Mobius could design a circuit board around a screw housing. It would still be relatively quick to release but with little danger of breakage and the sides of the cradle would prevent twisting:

SF3x5%20Socket%20Flat%20Screw%20Metric%203mm%207991%20Countersunk.jpg

As I'm sure Mobius are aware, there are even ways of making these captive if loss is a worry.

At the very worst, a couple of tiny grubs screws in through the side would achieve the same function if a bolt socket couldn't be accommodated into the centre of the body.

One further option would be a tripod style thumbscrew, albeit this would require a larger socket in the Maxi body.

I agree. The cradle is hardly quick release so why not secure the cradle to the camera with a screw through the bottom. I'm sure Mobius could design a circuit board around a screw housing. It would still be relatively quick to release but with little danger of breakage and the sides of the cradle would prevent twisting:

SF3x5%20Socket%20Flat%20Screw%20Metric%203mm%207991%20Countersunk.jpg

As I'm sure Mobius are aware, there are even ways of making these captive if loss is a worry.

At the very worst, a couple of tiny grubs screws in through the side would achieve the same function if a bolt socket couldn't be accommodated into the centre of the body.

One further option would be a tripod style thumbscrew, albeit this would require a larger socket in the Maxi body.

@c4rc4m, I see no need for any of this personally. The cradle IS quick release! And the provided cradle works and holds brilliantly in all but the most extreme crash conditions. The last thing I ever would want to do it have to mess around with tiny grub screws out in the field to have to remove a Mobius from its mount.

Perhaps you didn't quite get what I was talking about. Some people complain that it takes too much pressure to pop the camera in and out of the mounting cradle but I've learned that the more the camera is installed and removed from the slide in cradle, the easier it gets. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.

Is there any heat issue after 1 hour of recording like the mobius 1?

@c4rc4m,
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.

I agree with this but equally with the Mobius 1 I did find myself that removal from the cradle was difficult and the tabs easy to damage. I seem to remember having to pry with a screwdriver and marking the case as a result. Just saying there has to be another solution that is more robust whilst being more positive to release. Personally, unless there's an issue inside the camera, I don't see any need to remove the bracket, at least for car use. If you want to remove it, you just un-sucker the whole camera. The situation maybe different in the RC world though or for some users who like to make internal modifications / adjustments eg try different lenses.

I agree with this but equally with the Mobius 1 I did find myself that removal from the cradle was difficult and the tabs easy to damage. I seem to remember having to pry with a screwdriver and marking the case as a result. Just saying there has to be another solution that is more robust whilst being more positive to release. Personally, unless there's an issue inside the camera, I don't see any need to remove the bracket, at least for car use. If you want to remove it, you just un-sucker the whole camera. The situation maybe different in the RC world though or for some users who like to make internal modifications / adjustments eg try different lenses.
Certainly for RC use, some modellers have their cradles attached to the aircraft and insert/remove the camera as required.
The M1 cradle design is generally liked by most people, and was sorely missed in the M2, so it is nice to have it back again.
Personally I would like to have additional lugs on the side of the cradle so I can strap the Maxi to my quad in the same way as my GitUp F1:
1527585535290.png
1527585570957.png

Whilst we're talking about the cradle, the GitUp F1 has a similar cradle to the Mobius design. However it has a single spring clip in the centre and it is much easier to accidentally dislodge the camera than with the Mobius which feels a lot more secure.

It is hard to fathom that anyone would feel the need to pry a Mobius dash cam out of its mounting cradle with a screwdriver, thus damaging both the cradle and the camera rather than simply pushing the camera out with one's thumb like most everyone else. An index finger around the tripod mount with pressure from a thumb against the back of the camera is all it takes. And if the camera is in there so securely that you need to use a screwdriver to pry it out, why then would anyone need set screws? I'm pretty confident nobody else here has ever resorted to using a screwdriver to get the camera out of the cradle.

Amusing that your comment here starts with, "I agree with this" in reply to my remark, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then immediately you go on to say, "there has to be another solution".

Personally, I really like the slide-in cradle design and am thrilled to see its return in the Maxi. Of course, others seem to cotton to the design too as it has been copied with varying degrees of success by other manufacturers.

The M2 had a tripod mount that relied on small screws. It was fiddly to attach and detach. It was easy to lose the small screws. I think most long term Mobius owners will be glad to see the return of the simple yet effective slide-in cradle.

An index finger around the tripod mount with pressure from a thumb against the back of the camera is all it takes.

maybe there's some tooling variation, I've had 3 x M1's and none of them were ever that hard to get out of the cradles, I do recall some DIY tips on filing down the tabs to make it easier but perhaps that was earlier production versions or something, have always found them firm but not overly so, the ones I have I would say are just about perfect for holding them without any concern that they were going to move

maybe there's some tooling variation, I've had 3 x M1's and none of them were ever that hard to get out of the cradles, I do recall some DIY tips on filing down the tabs to make it easier but perhaps that was earlier production versions or something, have always found them firm but not overly so, the ones I have I would say are just about perfect for holding them without any concern that they were going to move

I agree, they work just fine and it's really quite easy to mount and dismount the camera. The whole design is really a clever and well engineered idea. In my use of the Mobius for purposes other than dash cams where I tend to take the camera out of the mounting cradle quite often, I've learned that the tabs that hold the camera in place tend to break-in after repeated use, thus there is no reason to file them down. Just keep using the thing. In fact, filing down those tabs could prove to be a mistake when you later find out that they've continued to wear down after repeated use.

Last edited:
Back