Mobius Maxi Support Thread

It is hard to fathom that anyone would feel the need to pry a Mobius dash cam out of its mounting cradle with a screwdriver, thus damaging both the cradle and the camera rather than simply pushing the camera out with one's thumb like most everyone else.

Mine was so tight it was almost impossible to remove and you had to pry each tab out of the hole separately.

maybe there's some tooling variation, I've had 3 x M1's and none of them were ever that hard to get out of the cradles, I do recall some DIY tips on filing down the tabs to make it easier but perhaps that was earlier production versions or something, have always found them firm but not overly so, the ones I have I would say are just about perfect for holding them without any concern that they were going to move

Could be this. Mine was an early version I think. The case was like a limpet!

Mine was so tight it was almost impossible to remove and you had to pry each tab out of the hole separately.

Could be this. Mine was an early version I think. The case was like a limpet!

I know some folks report that the mounting cradle is a bit stiff at first but I find it impossible to believe that you couldn't have pushed the camera out from behind with your thumb using the method described above. I get the distinct impression that's something you didn't try. (and if you tell me you did at this stage in the discussion, I wouldn't likely believe you :shifty:)

I don't know, but you just seem to have all the luck. I recall that you related how you often dropped your Mobius until it finally broke.

Altogether, I've owned seven Mobius 1 cameras and none of them have been so difficut to remove from the mounting cradle as you describe.

Having an orientation and G-sensor in the Maxi is a welcome addition to the Mobius series of cameras. During testing I found that the G-sensor is not so sensitive that you get a card full of event recordings. In fact I think I've only had one locked file from normal driving, with the sensitivity set to high. I did trigger a locked file by removing the camera from its mount when it was still recording.

That sounds good. I like having a G-sensor that's not on a hair trigger. If a camera does, I'll usually just shut the feature off.

What is an orientation sensor? Are you talking about auto rotate?

What is an orientation sensor? Are you talking about auto rotate?
Yes, auto rotate. The camera settings are normal, inverted, or auto.

For dashcam use where the orientation should remain the same whilst driving, it is recommended to set normal or inverted to suit the way the camera is mounted. The auto rotate feature is more likely to be useful when used as an action camera.

Yes, auto rotate. The camera settings are normal, inverted, or auto.

For dashcam use where the orientation should remain the same whilst driving, it is recommended to set normal or inverted to suit the way the camera is mounted. The auto rotate feature is more likely to be useful when used as an action camera.

Thanks! If I ever use a Maxi as a pocket cam like I do with the M1, auto rotate might come in very handy. People sometimes ask me why I don't just use a smartphone as a "pocket cam" but a Mobius held discretely in the hand can capture stuff you'd never capture holding a smartphone in front of your face.

Indeed people as far as i know have not noticed me hand carry a mobius / innovv / jovuu camera this way while shopping.
Only time i did get a mention was wearing the innovv C3 on its head gear, girl said you can not record in here, i said well its not recording,,,, but it was.
I am also pretty sure i can film in a store, it is after all a public area, but i dident want to enter a argument for a little thing like that.

Mobius Maxi Manual and Windows Software available

I am currently very, very pressed for time but have set up a Mobius Manual and Windows Software download page here.
The Windows software, mSetup.exe, works for all firmware versions of all the Mobius cameras including the #16.
Further information can be found in RCG which will always be kept up-to-date.

Last edited:
what about Lens Extension Cable? Would it be fit from M1?

:( but will it be sold?

The shortest (5cm) lens extension cable for the #16 works fine. I have also used two together (10cm) and that combination also works. The longest extension cable (38 cm) is too long and does not work. I don't have the in-between length (whatever that is) to test.

The shortest (5cm) lens extension cable for the #16 works fine. I have also used two together (10cm) and that combination also works. The longest extension cable (38 cm) is too long and does not work. I don't have the in-between length (whatever that is) to test.
"works" also at maximum bitrate?

I just read on Ebay that the Mobius 1 came out with version 3 (with hardware conversion) that now supports Linux. Does the Maxi support Linux, haven't read any where that it does but don't really know. It will really erk me if it doesn't !

I just read on Ebay that the Mobius 1 came out with version 3 (with hardware conversion) that now supports Linux. Does the Maxi support Linux, haven't read any where that it does but don't really know. It will really erk me if it doesn't !
The Mobius 1 V3 was released in October 2014....
Sorry, I don't know anything about Linux on the Maxi.

That's great news! I wasn't aware that the ribbon connectors for the Maxi and the #16 were compatible.

what kind of Linux support are you looking for?

what kind of Linux support are you looking for?

Same kind of support that windows has, full. However the guy selling the version 3 only mentioned setting up the Mobius. Full support is another matter that is not controlled by Mobius but 3rd parties developing editing software for Linux distros, I should have made that clear. The problem is windows versions of editing software are way better then what is available for Linux mainly because windows has been around longer and 3rd parties have a time disadvantage over what is available currently for Linux.
However to specially answer your question, Linux support for setting up Maxi, will that be available?

Same kind of support that windows has, full. However the guy selling the version 3 only mentioned setting up the Mobius. Full support is another matter that is not controlled by Mobius but 3rd parties developing editing software for Linux distros, I should have made that clear. The problem is windows versions of editing software are way better then what is available for Linux mainly because windows has been around longer and 3rd parties have a time disadvantage over what is available currently for Linux.
However to specially answer your question, Linux support for setting up Maxi, will that be available?

Are you still talking about getting mSetup to run on your Linux box? You might want to consider running WINE. It's a free cross platform "compatibility layer" capable of running Windows applications on Linux without any need to own the Windows OS. It might be the perfect solution here, although it can be a little geeky to get everything set up the first time. It would allow you to also run certain other apps like editing software.

https://www.winehq.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

Back