Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Are there heatsink solutions for Maxi? Looks like 2.7K30 Extreme Fine generates too much heat after 10-20mins and causes the camera to stop responding to button press and requires a reset.

Is there a table showing the breakdown in power consumption in different modes (4K, 2.7K, 1080p60, 1080p30, etc), with different features enabled like microphone, G-sensor, WiFi, etc.

With reference to the post above, I'm interested to see if there's a table for the size of video clips, in different modes, like say for a 3 minute clip.

Currently have mine on Loop recording, 3min clips. Currently using a 64GB class 10 card. As it stands I think on my current settings each video clip is approximately 320mbs.

On a slightly different note May have already overlooked this, but can Anyone confirm the largest capacity card they've been able to use successfully? AliExpress has one of they're sales starting in 2 days. I'm definitely considering upgrading the current 64GB cards that's I'm using.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190825_054347.jpg
    Screenshot_20190825_054347.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 5
With reference to the post above, I'm interested to see if there's a table for the size of video clips, in different modes, like say for a 3 minute clip.

Currently have mine on Loop recording, 3min clips. Currently using a 64GB class 10 card. As it stands I think on my current settings each video clip is approximately 320mbs.

On a slightly different note May have already overlooked this, but can Anyone confirm the largest capacity card they've been able to use successfully? AliExpress has one of they're sales starting in 2 days. I'm definitely considering upgrading the current 64GB cards that's I'm using.

1. Mbit/s rates for different modes: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...video-resolution-and-frame-rate-option.36226/

2. I don't recommend buying microSD cards from China. Buy from Amazon.com seller only. Manual states cards with up to 512GB have been tested http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/MobiusMaxiManual.pdf

So there's a thread crapping all over Mobius Maxi video quality compared to V1, what's your take? I'm not very impressed from video quality 1080p30 and 2.7K30 in super fine bitrate, too much noise and the MTF doesn't appear to be very good. MTF is the ability to resolve two adjacent lines spaced closely together. Wonder what image sensor it's using for such a ****ty readnoise.
For me, the most important thing about dash cams is being able to resolve license plate numbers. Eight (all V1s) of the 13 cameras I have installed are just for the purpose of increasing my chances of doing this. I have found the image sharpness of the V1 is better than the Maxi or the V2. I couldn't see much difference
between 2.7K30 and 1080p30, so I run at 1080p30 in fine bitrate. I use the Maxies and the V2 as wide angle cameras so I don't expect much sharpness from them. What I do like about the Maxie the vibrancy of the color. I use it as an action cam on my weekly hikes and have been very impressed with it.

2. I don't recommend buying microSD cards from China. Buy from Amazon.com seller only. Manual states cards with up to 512GB have been tested http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/MobiusMaxiManual.pdf

Thanks for the table exactly what I was after. (y)

Point 2, I understand the China part, however AliExpress isn't all that bad. I've been running these in my Mobius V3 for approximately 12 months, and now in the Maxi . Have had zero issues with them (so far)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190825_071139.jpg
    Screenshot_20190825_071139.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the table exactly what I was after. (y)

Point 2, I understand the China part, however AliExpress isn't all that bad. I've been running these in my Mobius V3 for approximately 12 months, and now in the Maxi . Have had zero issues with them (so far)
That's $0.17 more expensive than Samsung EVO cards that are much better and more reliable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XX29S9Q :D Free and fast amazon shipping, so why buy from AliExpress?

12,13 channels? I thought my 7 channel test setup was plenty!

I'm not aware of any official power consumption figures for the Maxi. I think the M1 draws less than the Maxi, but I would have to test again to be sure.

12,13 channels? I thought my 7 channel test setup was plenty!

I'm not aware of any official power consumption figures for the Maxi. I think the M1 draws less than the Maxi, but I would have to test again to be sure.
I have a USB meter coming tomorrow, can't be bothered to setup the bench power supplies :(
Will post tomorrow if there's enough time on the results.

Opened up my maxi, it's using V35MA-HHM21 processor. Has four 2.7V @ 5 Farad M4V Hy Cap super capacitors. WiFi is RTL8169ES.
Screws were ridiculously hard to open on the case.
I added thermal paste between the case aluminum plate and both sides of the thick thermal transfer tape which had isolated copper foil wrapped around it. Not impressed with thermal design, too much loss in these various heat transfer interfaces, should have just made an aluminum block secured to the case that touches the processor via a 0.25mm thermal tape/pad.

Some quick tests with a USB meter, measured over a 5min duration:

Maxi 1080p60 - 0.44A
Maxi 1080p30 - 0.31A
Maxi 2.7k30 - 0.32A

M1 1080p60 - 0.37A

Allowing for some variation over time, there is not much difference between them. Both cameras were recording at their highest available bitrate.

I have have 13 cameras installed in my Pontiac Vibe:

(2) Front left and right (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(2) Rear center and right (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Right side (Mini 0801) wide angle lens
These 5 cameras are powered by the cars 12vdc output though 12v to 5vdc converters. The output is rated at 120 watts max.

(2) Front left and right (Mobius Maxie and Mobius V2) with 6mm lens
(1) Front center (Mobius V1) with 25mm lens
(1) Left side (Mobius V1) with 6mm lens
(1) Right side (Mobius V1) with 4mm lens
These 5 cameras are powered by a combination of 3 or 4 10kmAh or 13kmAh USB battery packs mounted on the sun visors.

(1) Left side (Shadow Tec GT680W) wide angle, powered by the cars 120vac output though a USB wall converter.

(1) Rear left (Mobius V1) with 16mm lens
(1) Rear center (Mobius Maxie) wide angle lens
These 2 cameras are powered by a Cobra Jumpack XL H20 stored in the cars center console.

This configuration is something that has evolved over the past 15 or so years, starting with a single Sony VHS-C camcorder mounted on the passenger seat headrest. (did not work very well).
I have found that 5 cameras seem to be the maximum that I can hook up to the cars 12vdc output. I use USB toggle switch cables with most of the battery packs.

You don't just need help, you need a TEAM!

HERE WE ARE!

Are there heatsink solutions for Maxi? Looks like 2.7K30 Extreme Fine generates too much heat after 10-20mins and causes the camera to stop responding to button press and requires a reset.

Used 2.7K without issues for nearly a year. It's locking up and that's not due to heat. Which firmware is your Maxi on because with the current and last firmware, I haven't experienced any lockups.

For me, mobius v3 is the hot one, maxi is cooler most of the time.

The menu did warn about using extreme fine

Last edited:
If you're having problems with 2.7k extreme fine which runs at a fairly high bitrate, I would suggest trying a different memory card.

Can experienced folks please confirm that if I were to solder a 4 pole trrs female jack to the av cable, I can straight away use this small monitor(with built in battery)?
I've never messed with a AV trrs 3.5mm before...

TB26xzznFXXXXXoXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!123013009.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Can experienced folks please confirm that if I were to solder a 4 pole trrs female jack to the av cable, I can straight away use this small monitor(with built in battery)?
I've never messed with a AV trrs 3.5mm before...

You can probably avoid having to solder any female jack into your Mobius Maxi wiring harness simply by using it with the original Mobius 1 AV wiring harness that includes RCA plugs. This, along with an appropriate RCA to 3.5 mini plug adapter (four pole) "should" do the trick. Depending on how the little monitor's 3.5mm plug is configured you "may" have to tinker with the wire connections a bit but I think the whole thing will be easier to set up using the Mobius AV harness as a starting point. I'm not sure how difficult it is to find the proper 4 pole female 3.5 mini plug but they are available along with gender adapters.

For some reason Mobius doesn't feel it necessary to include the RCA AV breakout cables with the Maxi wiring harness like they did with the Mobius 1 but both harnesses are necessary together to connect the camera to anything.

Maxi wiring harness
M2cable.jpg

Using the Mobius 1 wiring harness along with the Maxi harness will allow you to connect the camera for audio & video out and power in.
The original Mobius has a 5 pin Mini-B USB plug while the Maxi uses a 10 pin USB connection, so the Mini-B connector below will not work with the Maxi.
The audio, video and USB-A plugs will work with the Maxi.
mobius_av.jpg

A multi-meter will be useful to determine which RCA plug goes to each pole in the 3.5mm mini plug.
rca_mini.jpg

rec_female_mini.jpg

You can get RCA gender adapters if you need them.
gender.jpg

gender2.jpg

You can also get a male RCA to female 3.5mm mini plug adapter (mono) that can plug directly into the Mobius RCA wiring harness. This should "probably" provide a video signal to the monitor but won't power the battery.
These things are cheap enough to purchase just to see if it works.

rca_f_mini.jpg

Last edited:
Good day to all.

I remember with my Mobius V3, there was an option for power to switch to "motion detect" when I turned ignition off in car.

However the MAXI settings are somewhat different. Is anyone able to confirm if the above settings (Mobius V3) can be applied to the MAXI?

Thanks team.Screenshot_20190826_065550.jpg

Good day to all.

I remember with my Mobius V3, there was an option for power to switch to "motion detect" when I turned ignition off in car.

However the MAXI settings are somewhat different. Is anyone able to confirm if the above settings (Mobius V3) can be applied to the MAXI?

Thanks team.
As far as I can remember, motion detection is a global parameter on both the M1 and the Maxi. Either it is always on, or always off.

The Maxi does have motion detection available. Personally I don't use it, and to be honest it's been a long time since I tested that feature. @dash riposki started a thread on motion detection HERE

Back