Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Hi all, my mobius maxi is permanently showing orange light on the start button, after i changed the charging cable.. pressing any button or holding them yields no change..can anyone help me to diagnose what's hanging up my cam? Even with the small capacitor, the orange light remaind lit for a long time.. Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Did you mute the audio?

Did you mute the audio?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've powered the cam and pressed the reset button.. Thankfully, the cam resumed operation.. Phew! Thanks again..

OK. Mute audio might be solid red - I can't remember

Haiz.. sorry to trouble you guys again..my maxi is acting up again.. Initial turn on the big center button lights were flashing yellow n green, then after 10 secs it's flashing red steadily n the power button is flashing red too in sync with the center button.. I've formatted the sd card but to no avail.. Can anyone help me? :( Thanks again...

I would like to change the contrast parameters using mSetup. However, the options are for Sharpness, Exposure, Saturation and White Balance. I see no option for contrast.
Specifically, the Maxi is too dark in the shadows, and I would like to lighten them without overexposing the highlights.

I would like to change the contrast parameters using mSetup. However, the options are for Sharpness, Exposure, Saturation and White Balance. I see no option for contrast.
Specifically, the Maxi is too dark in the shadows, and I would like to lighten them without overexposing the highlights.

Unfortunately, the so called "Advanced Image Settings" on the Maxi are extremely deficient when compared to the Advanced Image Settings on the original Mobius.

Unlike the Mobius 1 which does have contrast settings there is no contrast setting for the Maxi. Even worse is that the settings that do exist on the Maxi are very crude compared to the Mobius 1. Whereas the Mobius offers extremely fine grained control over each setting with 128 steps plus or minus above and below the defaults, the Maxi offers only a few very abrupt levels of control which can often be way too severe to be of practical value. For example, a one increment increase on the sharpness slider on the Maxi is far too much sharpening to be of any practical value whereas the default setting is deficient.

Since the Maxi was for all intent and purpose meant to be a "new and improved" version of the original Mobius after the utter failure of the poorly executed and now discontinued M2 I had patiently held out hope that we would eventually see enhanced imaging settings similar to the original Mobius but it now appears that is never going to happen. I've given up holding my breath. Usually, a new "Mark II" or Mark III" version of a ground breaking camera like the Mobius offers improvements to what made the original such a success. In many ways, like the M2 version, the Maxi is a step backwards. This is especially so when it comes to the ability to control all the imaging parameters of the camera.

In any case, to answer your question you might try experimenting with the exposure control to see if you can brighten the shadows but unfortunately with the Maxi that's about all you get.

Maxi
maxi.png

Mobius 1
m1.png

Not the answer I was wanted, but an accurate and well-explained one. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the so called "Advanced Image Settings" on the Maxi are extremely deficient when compared to the Advanced Image Settings on the original Mobius.

Unlike the Mobius 1 which does have contrast settings there is no contrast setting for the Maxi. Even worse is that the settings that do exist on the Maxi are very crude compared to the Mobius 1. Whereas the Mobius offers extremely fine grained control over each setting with 128 steps plus or minus above and below the defaults, the Maxi offers only a few very abrupt levels of control which can often be way too severe to be of practical value. For example, a one increment increase on the sharpness slider on the Maxi is far too much sharpening to be of any practical value whereas the default setting is deficient.

Since the Maxi was for all intent and purpose meant to be a "new and improved" version of the original Mobius after the utter failure of the poorly executed and now discontinued M2 I had patiently held out hope that we would eventually see enhanced imaging settings similar to the original Mobius but it now appears that is never going to happen. I've given up holding my breath. Usually, a new "Mark II" or Mark III" version of a ground breaking camera like the Mobius offers improvements to what made the original such a success. In many ways, like the M2 version, the Maxi is a step backwards. This is especially so when it comes to the ability to control all the imaging parameters of the camera.

In any case, to answer your question you might try experimenting with the exposure control to see if you can brighten the shadows but unfortunately with the Maxi that's about all you get.

Maxi
View attachment 49355

Mobius 1
View attachment 49356

Even though I'm not such an 'advanced' user, I had hoped the Maxi would be "mature" and better by now too. With their paucity of Mobius communications regarding the Maxi we can't even know if they are still actually working on it's development :( They have said they are, but comparing that to what we aren't seeing happen I would advise anyone wanting a Maxi to either get an original Mobius or to get the F1 from Gitup.

The Maxi isn't "ready for prime time" and perhaps never will be. Such a pity with it's excellent potential :cry:

Phil

So here in the UK the clock went back 1 hr this morning.

Upon syncing the time with the Maxi's x2, I noticed that the time stamp on my front facing Maxi was 3 days behind (its the 27th Today)
Not sure why this is the case, as these are hard wired into the car - and are set to turn on, when ignition is turned on, then to turn off 2 secs after ignition is turned off. Battery is also reading at 100% too.
1572170371286.png

Even the rear facing Maxi was 1 day behind
1572170644487.png

Anyone encounter this issue?

So here in the UK the clock went back 1 hr this morning.

Upon syncing the time with the Maxi's x2, I noticed that the time stamp on my front facing Maxi was 3 days behind (its the 27th Today)
Not sure why this is the case, as these are hard wired into the car - and are set to turn on, when ignition is turned on, then to turn off 2 secs after ignition is turned off. Battery is also reading at 100% too.
View attachment 49361

Even the rear facing Maxi was 1 day behind
View attachment 49362

Anyone encounter this issue?
If at some point you leave the car unused for long enough for the internal battery to run flat, then the clock setting will be lost. In this instance, the camera will use time stamp in the last recorded file to set the time for subsequent videos.

I have had this happen a few times with a battery powered Maxi. For long term dashcam use it is recommended to install the Maxi capacitor.

There are some FW developments on the way for the Maxi, but I fear they may be too little, too late for some users

There are some FW developments on the way for the Maxi, but I fear they may be too little, too late for some users

Unless Mobius takes some steps to enhance the advanced imaging controls to the point where it is somewhere in the ball park of what they did with the M1 I am not too interested. In my view, the sophisticated imaging controls are a major part of what makes the Mobius 1 such an amazing and unique product. They bring the Mobius 1 into the realm of a "real" photography/videography device and less of a gadget or a toy. Practically everything I've ever accomplished with the Mobius 1 that has impressed me or amazed me is in large part a result of the ability to tweak the image settings to such an extent and in such fine grain. For example, my highly successful experiments with the Mobius as an IR zoom camera simply could never have happened without the ability to control the camera to such a degree. And I don't think I would still be using six year + old Mobius cameras in my vehicle without those controls whether carefully adjusting exposure for my dark tinted side windows or the fine tuning of aftermarket lenses, especially sharpness, contrast and the ability adjust for individual lens coloration characteristics.

The Maxi has a lot going for it and seems to have great potential and improved hardware but without the capabilities and versatility of the Mobius 1 firmware, it is nothing special. Once again, Mobius has presented us with an unfinished, disappointing product lacking key features. I had hoped that Mobius had learned their lesson with the M2 debacle but things seem not to have changed much. Dedicated Mobius enthusiasts who've waited years for a proper updated version of the camera and who through word-of-mouth alone helped make Mobius the successful product that it is don't want to end up with something far less capable.

Last edited:
I don't think I would still be using six year old Mobius cameras in my vehicle without those controls whether carefully adjusting exposure for my dark tinted side windows or fine tuning of aftermarket lenses, especially sharpness and contrast.
FWIW, I too am using Mobius 1 cameras with my front & rear telephoto lenses - a 6mm F1.2, and a 6-22mm varifocal with CPL - and I have my own preferred sharpness, saturation and contrast settings for each lens.

I keep a Maxi in my car for firmware testing.

Nice to hear, but at this juncture I'm not expecting much (and I probably won't be disappointed in my expectations) :cautious:

Phil

What is the maximum resolution for the webcam mode, the same as for internal recording? I.e. will I get more or less the same quality over USB (OTG) as with regular recording to the card?

P. S. I'm looking for a small wearable camera under $100 for streaming FPV video from my smartphone over WebRTC. Is Mobius Maxi the right choice or would you recommend something else, another brand?
Thanks!

Last edited:
What is the maximum resolution for the webcam mode, the same as for internal recording? I.e. will I get more or less the same quality over USB (OTG) as with regular recording to the card?

P. S. I'm looking for a small wearable camera under $100 for streaming FPV video from my smartphone over WebRTC. Is Mobius Maxi the right choice or would you recommend something else, another brand?
Thanks!

The Mobius Maxi has a default web cam resolution of 1920 x 1440. This compares quite favorably to the original Mobius 1 which has a web cam resolution of only 1280 x 720.

Back