Mobius Maxi Support Thread

The Mobius Maxi has a default web cam resolution of 1920 x 1440. This compares quite favorably to the original Mobius 1 which has a web cam resolution of only 1280 x 720.
Thanks! Could you please help me out with two related questions?
1) Does webcam mode have more narrow FoV because it's 1920x1440 rather than 2.7k? In other words is it being cropped or scaled down?
2) Will image stabilization work in webcam mode?

Thanks! Could you please help me out with two related questions?
1) Does webcam mode have more narrow FoV because it's 1920x1440 rather than 2.7k? In other words is it being cropped or scaled down?
2) Will image stabilization work in webcam mode?
The video output in webcam mode is scaled down, not cropped. Coincidentally, 1920x1440 is the largest resolution the Maxi can record in h264.

Stabilisation on the Maxi is not effective at all. I doubt it would work in webcam mode

Ordered the camera last week, today realized there's one thing I forgot to check.

Did anyone try using Mobius as a "normal" webcam on Android? Not with the "Mobius ActionCam" app, but with just any app in general that lets you select a video source? Such as Chrome browser or CameraFi.

When you connect a simple PC webcam via OTG to Android, the native apps can list it as a video input device and can capture video from it. The reason I need this is I need Android to live stream the 1080p video feed it gets from the camera (I'll be using WebRTC for this). I've seen posts that it's impossible to use Mobius as a normal webcam, but then I saw people get the original Mobius to work on Raspberry Pi using standard linux libraries, and later I even found someone mentioned that it indeed works on Android's CameraFi as well. Can anyone confirm that Maxi can be used for streaming WebRTC from Android?

UPD: I reached out to Tomas, the developer of Android app, he says at least previous Mobius cameras were standard UVC cameras (I guess Maxi is no different), so on Android no additional drivers are needed, thus I conclude @jokiin was indeed mistaken in his message that I linked to above. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Guys, please help me out here, are both lenses (A and B) both F1.5 aperture??

Guys, please help me out here, are both lenses (A and B) both F1.5 aperture??
No. Lens A is F2.8, it's identical to the Mobius 1 Lens D. It has less distortion than the F1.5 lens, but obviously it's a much smaller aperture.

No. Lens A is F2.8, it's identical to the Mobius 1 Lens D. It has less distortion than the F1.5 lens, but obviously it's a much smaller aperture.

Thanks, there was a mistake on eletoponline's page on Ebay. They corrected it. I believe Digitalele has the figure turned around... 2.8 for b and 1.5 for a lens, but I'm not able to check right now.

Maxi FW V2.40
A firmware update for the Maxi is now available - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43561635&postcount=502

New features in Version 2.40:
  • Video Modes 1 & 2 (and Photo mode) now have separate controls for all settings, including image adjustment parameters
  • Image control parameters now have +/-127 steps for finer adjustment
  • Contrast adjustment added, plus high-light and low-light priority metering options, and custom WB options
Information on how to update the firmware - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39101002&postcount=3
Direct link to V2.40 - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=13003397&d=1578603926

mSetup has been updated to include these new controls. Auto-update from within mSetup, or download from:
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/index.html

y4m1bA4oCvC8tItgA2X-wgEg11RDmR2eGHfWiQ_uWaX1DD8mrh-uxwXEineBm3DgyH0ZLUDXzjvwqaB_fteDthZBxxmXr1TVEO1lq0dQ2o169svDXlobjkqYuJcHEdX9Jy8aYhof_n7H19CUqBst64hWQ5snIGSXYvGKbB1RrbuX5lxfpKOMFGicu8_xy47cK-qWwLTdQQ1_Ij8QzLLdrz_Iw

The mobile apps for iOS and Android do not yet support these new camera controls. The current apps should continue to provide the same functionality with this new firmware as they did with any previous firmware version.

have they done any IQ tuning at all, or just added the individual controls?
Nothing substantial. The default sharpness was reduced. I think the Auto WB is better with h264 1080p than with MJPG 2.7k.

I like using a slight reduction in Contrast to around -16, which I found has a mild WDR effect.

I have one here somewhere, just need to find where I put it
I lose my cameras too sometimes! I think a spring-clean of the random camera & accessories drawer is needed

No, nothing radical. I don't forsee any big steps in IQ on the horizon with this hardware.

@TonyM do you know of any bug fixes done in this fw?
Throughout many beta FW iterations Mobius have mentioned various minor improvements to stability and reliability. As Tom Frank stated in his RCG post:
  • Improved reliability and stability (e.g. lockups) sometimes occurring in memory card detection, low battery, high bitrate, motion detection, and USB or WiFi communications
I have not noticed any change in behaviour of my Maxi. It continues to record reliably.

Sample video shot today in low winter sunshine with FW V2.40
1080p 60fps, Contrast -16, all other IQ parameters at default

just updated to 2.40 , everything seem fine - i think the wifi connection is more stable. several times though i tried to exit wifi mode using the record button in the app but nothing happened. exiting the app normally and turning wifi off in the phone did disconnect from the Maxi - I was expecting it would freeze completely (as in previous fw) but it didn't which is great.
one thing that bothers (generally and unrelated to this fw) me and I haven't noticed before - the app doesn't update the Maxi's clock. important (missing) feature I think

nightride tonight.... post tomorrow.....

I've noticed the high light and low light option is very usefull, but if we use it as a dashcam, and change to VIDEO 2 (with the top MODE button), it does record in VIDEO 2 mode.

BUT.... when we shut of our car, and 10 minutes later restart, it's right back in VIDEO 1 mode..... :mad:

Do they NEVER learn??? We should get the camera back recording in it's latest shutdown condition...!!!

Anyone have connections there to make that clear once and for all?

Back