Mobius Maxi Support Thread

A few new clips recorded tonight's ride, 2.7K/30. F1.2 lens rules, period. Contrast -10. Narrow FOV.

That F1.2 lens is looking rather good on the Maxi. I might dig mine out of the spare lens box. Does it work OK in daylight?

Looks good @dirkzelf! The focus on the third video down seems a bit off though. Typical of trying to focus the ƒ1.2 every single time I guess. :grumpy:

That F1.2 lens is looking rather good on the Maxi. I might dig mine out of the spare lens box. Does it work OK in daylight?

Not yet tested yet.... late shifts...

Looks good @dirkzelf! The focus on the third video down seems a bit off though. Typical of trying to focus the ƒ1.2 every single time I guess. :grumpy:

I'm not so sure it's out of focus, I've noticed it before, in low light far away objects seem out of focus, but in daylight they're perfectly sharp, I guess it's a lighting thingie that overexposes those objects as headlights and reflected traffic signs.

On the other hand this lens may not be suited exactly perfectly fot the Maxi, but as far as I know it's native resolution is 1080p, so it should be as good for the Maxi as it is for the Mobius One.

I'm not so sure it's out of focus, I've noticed it before, in low light far away objects seem out of focus, but in daylight they're perfectly sharp, I guess it's a lighting thingie that overexposes those objects as headlights and reflected traffic signs.

On the other hand this lens may not be suited exactly perfectly fot the Maxi, but as far as I know it's native resolution is 1080p, so it should be as good for the Maxi as it is for the Mobius One.

I made the comment because of my observation that the car directly in front of you at the red light seems somewhat out of focus to me. And the car is at a distance where things would usually be in pretty good focus with a properly focused lens, especially with no motion blur since both your truck and the VW sedan in front of you are standing still until the light changes to green. Everything in the other two videos seems nice and sharp by comparison.

maxi_screen_shot.jpg

I made the comment because of my observation that the car directly in front of you at the red light seems somewhat out of focus to me. And the car is at a distance where things would usually be in pretty good focus with a properly focused lens, especially with no motion blur since both your truck and the VW sedan in front of you are standing still until the light changes to green. Everything in the other two videos seems nice and sharp by comparison.

View attachment 50250

I don't know how to respond, maybe YT did something?

I also do know that the reflection of cars standing right in front of my truck, have a bit of a different light reflection than in a private car, because the camera stands much higher in the truck, besides there's more light reflection coming from the car in my lane than from the car in the left lane.

And like I said in my previous post, the F1.2 does something with light, STRONGLY enhancing the light capture to the sensor, maybe lens and sensor are not perfectly made for each other, my VIOFO A119S has this F1.2 lens too, and does a perfect job.....

Lucky for me, caus now I can use the A119S lens on the Gitup F1....

Well, you would be the final arbiter since you are the one with the footage you can view directly on your computer in person. Still, I have a hunch others may see what I'm getting at when looking at the screen shot. Just sayin'.

Anyway, as long as you are happy with the footage that's all that matters. I remember when I spent a lot of time experimenting with the two different ƒ/1.2 lenses I have they were driving me nuts! Sometimes when I thought I had the camera (M1) in really good focus I would come home and find out it was off, sometimes, way off.

Well, you would be the final arbiter since you are the one with the footage you can view directly on your computer in person. Still, I have a hunch others may see what I'm getting at when looking at the screen shot. Just sayin'.

Anyway, as long as you are happy with the footage that's all that matters. I remember when I spent a lot of time experimenting with the two different ƒ/1.2 lenses I have they were driving me nuts! Sometimes when I thought I had the camera (M1) in really good focus I would come home and find out it was off, sometimes, way off.

Ah I see, now don't get me wrong, I am seeing exactly the same thing as you do, I just don't know why we are seeing it. The lens is fixed, lenses glass and the barrel is metal.... so, it must be something else than temperature, I guess...?

Maybe it's a quality thing.

Come to think of it, I have 2 of them, and I did seem to notice some corner-outoffocus phenomenon on one, (the one on the Maxi) and not on the other (on the Viofo A119S).

I don't know man, I'm just happy pappy right now to see it improved.... :D

I'm taking it out tomorrow hopefully for a little daylight trip, here's a clip from the Mobius One with an F1.8 lens (with day/night coating and added IR cut on the BMW, daytime and night time, but as you can see we have the same "issue" here, being a little less obvious, but I think the stronger reflection of light coming off of objects make the object more blurry, maybe also because of the windscreen in between, it's not very clean this time a year....

REC_0565.MOV_20200114_020711.559.jpg

Give it some time to reach full resolution in YT, I'm signing of for tonight.... :sleep:

@dirkzelf, that screen shot doesn't look quite the same as the other one to me. Even though the image is getting blown out by your headlights notice that the tire treads on the car in front of you look detailed and clear suggesting that everything is still in good focus.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

My Maxi with the default F1.5 lens has an out-of-focus patch to the right of centre. The two silver cars appear slightly blurred, although the front of the white van is sharp. I do wonder whether it's caused by dashboard reflections or poor optical quality of my windscreen. A test video shot outside the car would determine that - I'll do it one day.

Unfortunately, that patch is exactly where I would want to capture any passing vehicles.

Maxi_Off-Centre_Focus.JPG

My Maxi with the default F1.5 lens has an out-of-focus patch to the right of centre. The two silver cars appear slightly blurred, although the front of the white van is sharp. I do wonder whether it's caused by dashboard reflections or poor optical quality of my windscreen. A test video shot outside the car would determine that - I'll do it one day.

Unfortunately, that patch is exactly where I would want to capture any passing vehicles.

View attachment 50257

If you have that always, all the time on the same exact spot, then the lens is most likely flawed. But it could be glare just as well.

Drive your car around the parking lot slowly and simply view the spot in question, then, as per your own plan, put it outside (car, bike, hat, hand, whatever) and try bare. Magnet mounts come in handy for that.

If you have that always, all the time on the same exact spot, then the lens is most likely flawed. But it could be glare just as well.

Drive your car around the parking lot slowly and simply view the spot in question, then, as per your own plan, put it outside (car, bike, hat, hand, whatever) and try bare. Magnet mounts come in handy for that.

Tony could try a quick test with the camera flipped upside down (auto rotate) to see if the blurry area shifts to the other side or stays where it is.

About the rotate function, it works, but in the beginning also the AUTO rotate worked fine, but by no means I can get it to work anymore. Not that I need it, but would be nice if a built in feature would work.....

About the rotate function, it works, but in the beginning also the AUTO rotate worked fine, but by no means I can get it to work anymore. Not that I need it, but would be nice if a built in feature would work.....
Auto has to sense a change in rotation. If the camera is permanently upside-down it doesn't seem to recognise that. Hence the recommendation to use 'inverted' when always used upside-down.

Auto has to sense a change in rotation. If the camera is permanently upside-down it doesn't seem to recognise that. Hence the recommendation to use 'inverted' when always used upside-down.

I know, but it will NOT auto rotate, and again, I don't need it, but such things just bugging the h@ll out of me ...

I know, but it will NOT auto rotate, and again, I don't need it, but such things just bugging the h@ll out of me ...
Could be a FW bug.

Back