Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Let us know if it works! I've used a similar foam sleeve on a small audio recorder microphone and it worked extremely well. Then again it wasn't on a fast moving motorcycle.

Let us know if it works! I've used a similar foam sleeve on a small audio recorder microphone and it worked extremely well. Then again it wasn't on a fast moving motorcycle.

I will, thanks.

The mike is next to the lens, correct?

mobiusminimainboard.jpg

So, what if I cover only the mike?

The mike is next to the lens, correct?

View attachment 51427

So, what if I cover only the mike?

That was my first thought when I posted earlier but then I looked at my Maxi and realized that unlike the M1 there is no dedicated mic hole in front. Instead, the entire body of the Maxi is covered with vent holes on each side so I imagine you will need to cover all of them if you want to eliminate wind noise.

maxi.jpg

I don't want the hassle of using external microphone, but I dó want to kill the wind noise.
Any tips?

Foam like this works fairly well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332800181643
For better results use a fur cover like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264616550148
Covers like this were designed for extreme wind conditions the foam did not work in. The longer the fake fur is the better (unless it gets in front of the lens). Do not buy a cover like this. Instead go to a fabric store and buy the minimum amount of fabric possible. You could also buy a used toy with long fur at a thrift shop to get the fur you need. Cut the fur down to size, use doublesided tape to hold it on. After awhile when the fur falls apart you can take it off and use a new small square to do it again and again.

Foam like this works fairly well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332800181643
For better results use a fur cover like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264616550148
Covers like this were designed for extreme wind conditions the foam did not work in. The longer the fake fur is the better (unless it gets in front of the lens). Do not buy a cover like this. Instead go to a fabric store and buy the minimum amount of fabric possible. You could also buy a used toy with long fur at a thrift shop to get the fur you need. Cut the fur down to size, use doublesided tape to hold it on. After awhile when the fur falls apart you can take it off and use a new small square to do it again and again.

Thanks, I decided to try out these, oversized, but that gives me the chance to cut down to size....

the Maxi is covered with vent holes on each side so I imagine you will need to cover all of them if you want to eliminate wind noise.

Sealing of all vent holes seems a bad idea, but I'll keep it in mind. For the time being, trying the foam outside first .... (also involves sort of sealing of the holes.... lets hope it goes well.... :):cool:

Sealing of all vent holes seems a bad idea, but I'll keep it in mind. For the time being, trying the foam outside first .... (also involves sort of sealing of the holes.... lets hope it goes well.... :):cool:

I wasn't suggesting sealing the holes, only covering them with the foam sleeve. I was responding to your post about "covering only the mike" which apparently can't be done like on the M1 which has only a single small hole for the mic.

I wasn't suggesting sealing the holes, only covering them with the foam sleeve. I was responding to your post about "covering only the mike" which apparently can't be done like on the M1 which has only a single small hole for the mic.

Oh, sorry, my bad. Right, yeah, that might do at least something....

Since foam is full of holes it might allow sufficient cooling. It might not.
The fake fur also has holes in its fabric backing. Again, i have no idea how much heat that would hold in. If enough air flow exists it might not be an issue. A temperature gun similar to one like this from ebay could help you see if cam overheating is an issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254546366172

If the mic is 'hearing' through all the holes in the case instead of just one, you may have a tough time getting rid of wind noise unless you cover all holes with foam. With that much airflow happening cam heat will probably not be an issue. If you can determine which direction the wind is coming from then covering the holes on that side only or creating a 'windbreak' there might be enough. The 'fur sock' usually works better than foam but only if if doesn't get matted or blown out of place. A loose blob of cotton ball over the mic inside might also work, but if it got wet that may be big unseen trouble to the mic and PCB. These electret mics are very sensitive to air pressure changes so the idea is to slow the air movement down and thus slow the changes, but if the noise is being generated by air passing through the case holes that's where the 'fix' will have to be applied. Something is bound to help, but near-total elimination of the wind noise is probably not going to be possible. Your results will be interesting and hopefully helpful to the next person who comes along with the problem.

Phil

I kmow we're talking Maxi here, but for the test I took the Mini (new housing).

Mobius Mini "wind" test, with outside foam:

Mobius Mini "wind" test without outside foam ... mike covered with foam inside camera:

Mobius Mini "wind" test, no foam

:unsure:

Last edited:
I also have some recordings with the GitUp F1, those sound a LOT better.... without any added foam...

Anyway, here's a clip with the Mini on the back, and tucked away in the "trunk"..... sound only.... :ROFLMAO: "enjoy"...

20200427_150619.jpg
20200427_150606.jpg

Behind the windscreen there's not much of a problem, check this clip with the Maxi:

There is SOME windnoise ofcourse, but I find that acceptable. The issue rises at the back where the cam is in the widflow.

I will try one of these, just to keep direct windflow from the camera. I ordered one to try. Wish me luck!

My Mini was in the "trunk" in a light cloth to reduce windnoise, and after a short ride of some 10 minutes, the camera had already stopped, started bulging up, battery had become bigger, and hot as a Brazilian sirene. I could only cool it down by pressing the reset button. It had me for a while, thinking the Mini had died on me.... but thankfully it still works and records properly.

So, there is ofcourse the matter of cooling I'm worried about.

Last edited:
Behind the windscreen there's not much of a problem, check this clip with the Maxi:
There is SOME windnoise ofcourse, but I find that acceptable. The issue rises at the back where the cam is in the widflow.
if you're running two cams you could always edit the audio from the front cam onto the rear video

if you're running two cams you could always edit the audio from the front cam onto the rear video

Too much work dude.... hahaha I thought of that too, ultimately that may be what I'll do, SOMETIME, but first I'm getting me as close to comfortable as possible...! :cool:

Back